Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Albino's about to get busier with Abby's half sister Gail

I have had no problems welding sliders to the frame, My explorer and now my bronco2 have received serious body without damage to the sliders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

He used them today. Here's the passenger side getting a work out :thumbsup:

4550007824_95d5d3809f_o.jpg

Updates

OK, so we have the sliders on and I have been using them. Mostly landing on them but I have rubbed a few trees from the side. So far, they are doing their job admirably.

Next was finally re-gearing. I'm running 33's pretty much all the time now and with towing the tent trailer, 33's and 3.73 gears is harder on the tranny than I want, even with 2 auxillary coolers.

I hade some freeze damage to our boat and insurance came through so I had a few extra $$ to have a professional install the gears and Aussie Locker.

On the inside, I used to carry several plastic storage containers with trail gear, recovery gear and emergency supplies, capped off with the spare tire. I prefer to carry the spare inside to keep the weight centered and I'm too cheap to buy/make a carrier/rear bumper. (besides, I bought Joe's old rear bumper anyway):thumbsup:

I got tired of having to lift the tire off the containers to access anything so I built some drawers for tools and such. Locally and now nationally, I'm known as the RTB (rolling tool box) after a trip to Moab. :cool:

Attachments

• DSCN4388-1.jpg
    DSCN4388-1.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_2487-1.jpg
    IMG_2487-1.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1804.JPG
    IMG_1804.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCN4586-1.jpg
    DSCN4586-1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 394

I also figured out a way to carry my axe, shovel and mattock. Velcro screwed into the door panel. These things don't move or even rattle and they are out of the way but extremely accessable.

Other interior changes are the addition of many 12v outlets and a 200watt inverter. You can never have enough 12v outlets. I now have 9 :D

Attachments

• DSCN4587-1.jpg
    DSCN4587-1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCN4589-1.jpg
    DSCN4589-1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 400
  • DSCN4588-1.jpg
    DSCN4588-1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 388

And now

in preparation for the next addition we have ;)

Lots more wiring and plumbing to do, then open up the D35 for some surgery. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCN4585-1.jpg
    DSCN4585-1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCN4580-1.jpg
    DSCN4580-1.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 398
  • DSCN4577-1.jpg
    DSCN4577-1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 398

do work son!

Just think of all the new dents you can make with that... ready for another trip to the rocks?

Load,,Lock,,,,,,,,,,,

So, the time has finally come, Cool damp summer day in the great NW. :rolleyes:

I had an inkling that Kevin was jones'n to tinker with a rig and he graciousley accepted my request to install the ARB in the D35.

EDIT; plus he has a covered work area!

We started at 9AM and had the front end torn apart in 1 hour.

Popped the pig off the beam and set it on the bench. A quick check of the backlash from RRP's regear for reference. They had it at .003" :eek: Seemed kind of tight to us but they are the professionals. No shims so maybe they just put it back the way they found it.

Off of the old, onto the new. Ring gear bolted onto the ARB.

Had to drill a hole on the bearing cap for the air line. Not sure if that's the way it is supposed to be but that's what we did. Checked bearing preload and added shims until it was close to the way it was, then checked backlash.

I got a spec from TRS of .007 to .015. We got it to .010. A little Prussion Blue on the teeth and the patern looked pretty good. When we went to turn the pinion, it would only go 1/4 of the way until it felt like it was hitting something.

Further inspection showed the corners of the pinion teeth were hitting the carrier body (confirmed by smearing some marking compound on the body, this also marked the offending teeth) :rolleyes: 20 minutes of HMMM and HAAA and out comes the die grinder to knock the corners down. I held the grinder steady while Kevin rotated the pinion. This put a consistant grind on all the teeth.

Finished product, just a little more cleaning and put it all back together.

Attachments

• IMG_2897-1.jpg
    IMG_2897-1.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2902-1.jpg
    IMG_2902-1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2903-1.jpg
    IMG_2903-1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2908-1.jpg
    IMG_2908-1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 338

So you going to run Pritchett canyon next time?

Test???

YES! :bounce::biggthump

Attachments

• IMG_2909-1.jpg
    IMG_2909-1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2910-1.jpg
    IMG_2910-1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 352

very cool phil!

Looks good Phil - - hey, what happened to the white sliders...?

Paul

Looks good Phil - - hey, what happened to the white sliders...?

Paul

I've only found white herc in gallon containers for $140. Too expensive to keep 'touch up' stock so I'm using Duplicolor canned spray bedliner now.

Maybe i'll get some white spray paint, dunno. It stains pretty fast.

Are you still a 'go' for Naches in a week and a half?

Oh, we could make those sliders white. :D

Yeah,,,,but,,,,I actually USE mine :p: I just need to be able to touch them up after rubbing trees or dropping onto rocks. ;)

Besides, they're welded on and your oven isn't big enough for the whole truck :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Besides, they're welded on and your oven isn't big enough for the whole truck :rolleyes:

If it was though, I would deffinately consider a full truck powder coating :D

Back