My rearview mirror fell off, but the bracket is still on the windshield. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rearview mirror fell off, but the bracket is still on the windshield.

kingrho

Reaction score
City, State
atlanta, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xl
So I was driving my 2000 Ford explorer when all of a sudden something hit me square in the forehead...twice! my rearview mirror has somehow come unattached from the little square bracket holding it on and was swinging by the wire. Am I screwed? it looks like some soder balls or something permanent broke.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either way, (spring clip or set screw) the fix is the same. Pick up some cleaner and glue at an autoparts store. Scrap the old adhesive off the windshield and bracket that should be with the mirror and glue it back on. If it's the spring clip, you'll have some trouble getting it out but it's not that bad. Once you let it set for an hour or so after re-glueing, put the rearview mirror back on.

Also, I'm new and was just in here to say hello! So, hello!

Bob

welcome to the site. If the metal piece is still attached to the windshield and the mirror just flew off,there should be a little screw on the mirror to fasten it to the metal clip still glued to the windshield.

I actually have the same problem. I was leaving work and it just fell off. The metal clip is still attached to the mirror. The problem is the local mechanic can't get the metal part off so that he can glue it to the windshield, since the mirror is so heavy, the glue can't dry and support the weight of the mirror. Any suggestions, besides going to a Ford dealership?

Cello~Angel.. Welcome to the forum. The spring clip should come off but it's not easy. It will pry off with a small screw driver. Once it's started, it comes easier. I think your mechanic is afraid of breaking something!

I think your mechanic is afraid of breaking something!

That is exactly what he said. Should I give it a try myself or just let a mechanic do it, one who isn't scared of breaking something?

Back