Diesel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spiritwolf15x

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT Super Cab
Hello everyone. I was driving home the other day and stopping at the light I looked to the flat nosed cube truck beside me and I was surprised to see that the engine badge on the side of its door read 4.5 Powerstroke V6. This got me dreaming about re-powering my '94. I nice little diesel V6 with a HD 4speed auto transmission would sure make for an interesting vehicle.

What I'm wondering is, has anyone re-powered their Explorer with an inline 4 or V6 diesel? If so where was the engine bought, what was the build like, ect...?

Any and all input welcome.

-Wolf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Dodge Cummins is a 6cyl diesel too, it it ain't gonna fit, unless you want to sit on the motor while you drive!

This has been discussed many, many times. It has been attempted (though not w/ that motor) a couple of times. I believe it was done successfully in a Ranger. I believe the general consensus is that it sounds like a great idea on paper, but it's just not worth the tremendous amount of fabrication and effort needed to make it work. Plus their could be legal issues, depending on where you live, as an Explorer never came with a diesel motor. In the end, you come get almost as much MPG out of the SOHC V6, w/ some tweaks, and without all the work, or the massive amount of additional weight a diesel would put on the front of the truck.

As I said, it's been discussed. Search the forum, and the web. There is info out there.

The 4.5L diesel in the LCF(Low Cab Forward) is junk, nothing but problems.

Really? Was it rushed or was it just poorly designed?

Its pretty much a 6.0l with 2 cyls missing. Look at all the problems Ford had with the 6.0l.

you could swap a 2.2 mazda/perkins diesel in out of one of the rangers from the 80's, it had a whopping 59hp, or the 2.3 turbodiesel mitsu built to replace the 2.2 in the mid 80s, that had 86hp, good luck finding a motor though, let alone a truck, these bad boys are rare

Several explorers or rangers have 4bt cummins swapped into them.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

Search around that site for a while and take your pick of projects.

A diesel swap is certainly not an impossible project, and a 6 cylinder cummins will fit inside the engine bay (not well). Unfortunately, some people do not follow their own search advice.

Edit: wow, 4btswaps.com is even the first result that comes up in the let me google that for you link.

A cummins 4bt would be the best and most cost effective swap into an explorer. It provides sufficient horsepower to stay very streetable, tons of torque, and good fuel efficiency.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?120-4BT-in-a-Ford-Explorer...&highlight=explorer

thats the first gen with the 4bt in it. Its a pretty nice set up. When I read the thread it seemed like the biggest issue was the oil pan, but with some fab skills not an issue at all, he did it with no body lift and no cowl hood, so it looks right too. But a 4bt is definitely doable with the least modification, and money required of the other swaps. Plus you cant beat 32 miles to the gallon in an explorer

Back