yostyexplorer94's camper frame trailer build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yostyexplorer94's camper frame trailer build

Bearing replacement reference for my trailer-

Replacement Trailer Hub Bearing - L68149 - L68149
Replacement Race - L68110 - L68110
Replacement Trailer Hub Bearing - L44649 - L44649
Replacement Race for L44643 and L44649 Bearings - L44610
Grease Seal - Double Lip - ID 1.719" / OD 2.565" - for 3,500-lb Axles - Qty 2 - RG06-050

I found this on craigslist. It was an old camper that he stripped down to the frame, sand blasted, and primered it. I never took pictures of it when I first brought it home, but the metal that isn't primered is what I welded on so far.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

My plans are to make it 8ft wide and put heavy metal fenders on it so if I have to haul something wide, I can just run it over the fenders. It is almost 19' long. I wanted to put a metal floor on it, but I am still debating it. Any tips or opinions would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some progress

6.jpg
7.jpg

I am not happy with the left corner of the trailer. I messed up the cuts to where they ended up not square which resulted in the sagging corner. It is already welded so I have to deal!

Personally I like wood floors. Metal gets too hot to lay on if you need to work under whatever it is you have on the trailer.

How strong are the axle? That trailer is going to be somewhat heavy, and if those are only 3500 lbs axles you will have a bunch of the 7000 lbs load carrying capacity used up by the trailer weight.

~Mark

I'm not sure what the axle rating is, but it is more than likely just 3500lb axles.

I originally was planning a metal floor but the price was salty at the steel yards i called (around $180 a sheet). I was about to change my mind to a wood floor, but then i found a place that sold my 1/8" diamond plate steel for $105 a sheet so that's what I ended up with. I would have spent about the same for good lumber, if not more.

My dad also was leaning toward the steel for a couple of reasons. It should last a lifetime as long as I keep paint on it. Each sheet of diamond plate will have a bead of weld the whole way around the edges and it will be welded underneath to each cross member, so it should be abusive strong since everything will be tied together. If I have a junk car without axles it can be slid onto the trailer without busting up wood planks. Plus with it being a solid floor I can haul tan bark or stone, etc.

I got the sheet steel all but ready to be welded on. Should be more picture updates with in the next week or two. Thanks for the replys

More progress pictures

8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg

Mount for the winch
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

1 1/2" Solid steel stock for the ramps

16.jpg

The ramps that my dad had laying around.... these are heavy suckers.

That looks a lot like the trailer I just bought, the diamond plate is rusting through on some of the welds I need to replace them. Nice build though, what kind of rims does it have?

Cool, you will have to post up some pictures of it. The rims are 4 lug camper type rims. I am not sure what exactly they are called.

I got maybe 4' more to weld on the trailer then all the diamond plate will be welded. The fun part will be welding underneath it to tie the cross-members to the diamond plate.

Update with pictures

I ended up getting my friend with a skid loader help me flip this trailer over so I could weld all the diamond plate to the frame. It tied all the metal together and made it a much nicer job than trying to crawl underneath and weld.

17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg

Since these pictures I have made fenders for it. Now I have a couple more welds to make and then it will get painted. I'll take better pictures someday here. lol

Penn dot screwed up my registration. My registration card says 3,000# gross weight and my title says 4,000# gvwr. Whoever had this thing before must of lowered the weight on the title. So now it is all a waiting game to get this sorted out. I guess legally I am only allowed to haul 365 lbs of weight on this trailer! LOL.

Weighed the trailer and it is a whopping 2635 lbs. Not bad in my opinion for all the steel that was welded on it.

Nice looking trailer. You want to come and redo mine? lol....:D

I picked up a well used 14' tamden axle car hauler for $650.00 last summer.
I need to replace the tires and do some repairs to the deck and set it up for a winch mount. Slowly getting my toy explorer built to haul around:) I think the darn thing will never get done.

Nice! Do the axles have electric brakes?

Nice looking trailer. You want to come and redo mine? lol....:D
Thanks man and No I don't.... :D I had enough fun with mine.

I picked up a well used 14' tamden axle car hauler for $650.00 last summer.
I need to replace the tires and do some repairs to the deck and set it up for a winch mount. Slowly getting my toy explorer built to haul around:) I think the darn thing will never get done.
You'll have to post pictures up when you are done. My toy ex is still under construction so I know what you mean.

Nice! Do the axles have electric brakes?

Thanks, it has electric brakes at all 4 wheels

20171025_123745.jpg

20170624_084111.jpg

I am still using this thing! I upgraded from 14" wheels to 15" wheels. The fenders are removable with a pin on each end and I enlarged them to clear the larger tires on it.

Back