4x4 does not work | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

Thanks for the reply. Slowing learning all this. Since this is my first 4x4 and my first Explorer, I'm not sure what's normal and what's abnormal yet.

So I should park on a slight incline to allow the vehicle to roll slightly forward when engaging 4x4 Low?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't bother changing your parking position for this. Usually it only needs to move a few inches to allow 4WD engagement. It's really so the gears can mesh when the shift motor tries to move them. If they aren't in the exact position to start with (and the chances of being stopped in exactly the correct place so that all the gear teeth line up is minimal) then they can't engage so the control module just times out and defaults back to Auto mode

4x4CM

This is a great forum!!!
I have on "02" explorer XLT that was not going into 4 wheel drive and this all started after replacing the battery last year. Things worked fine until then. After some research and reading on the forum I found what I was looking for and proceeded to call my local dealer (317 miles one way from me) who informed me that my module was not behind the glove box but in the rear area of the vehicle then he also told me that my model did not have 4 wheel drive (this is the same dealer that sold me my 4x4 explorer) even after I had given him my vin#. He then told me that the part I didn't have would cost me 369 + 2 hours labor at 80/hour.

I called up silver state ford per this forum and gave him my vin#, he sent it to me including priority shipping total was 204. It then took me 15-20 minutes to put it in. Here is what worked for me;

1) 8mm wrench to unhook the + side of the battery
2) opened glove box, push in both ends and it falls open
3) I found it easier to take a 6mm socket and take out the three screws holding the glove box on so that I had more room for my arms (and santa like body shape)
4) I then squeezed the tabs on the two wire plugs and pulled them down (came out easy).
5) DO NOT UNSCREW THE FIRST BOLT YOU SEE!!
6) unscrew the 6mm vertical bolt
7) once thats done you can swing the whole thing to the left and pull back torwards you.
8) now you can take out the two 6mm screws holding the bracket to the module and put it on the new module.
9) to install simply reverse the process
10) hook battery back up, start car and you should have everything back. If not that wasn't your problem.

I recommend Silver State Ford and this forum. One final note is when ordering parts make sure that you are going thru the "web ordering department" or they will charge you full rate.

alaskabear99687, glad you got it fixed. :biggthump Now go get your Ex dirty!! :cool:

Glad it worked out for you man!:thumbsup: I am still chasing the solution. :salute:

Finally got the 4x4 working. After changing the module & switch, it turned out to be a ground wire on the shift motor!! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :bounce:

Good to hear it Rondo. I was going to ask you what happened to your 4wd issue. Also, it is correct that you should order from silver state on-line or it will cost twice as much. You can confirm what part is needed by messaging them when ordering so you get the correct part (4x4 CM). When I called they were going to charge $400 for my 4x4 cm, but said if I use their website it would be cheaper. Ended up being $200.

Good to hear it Rondo. I was going to ask you what happened to your 4wd issue. Also, it is correct that you should order from silver state on-line or it will cost twice as much. You can confirm what part is needed by messaging them when ordering so you get the correct part (4x4 CM). When I called they were going to charge $400 for my 4x4 cm, but said if I use their website it would be cheaper. Ended up being $200.

Thanks! Yeah, I got the module from www.silverstatefordparts.com using that method. Next up is tires!

I would wait awhile, I mean, like I said, I really don't know how or why mine worked for 1 day, and then crapped out again. Like some others who have posted here, it's only a circuit board, and you'd think it would either work or not, ever, period. But then again, remember when your dad smacked the old B/W tv set a few times and the picture would come in PERFECT ??? Go figure. Some things never change I guess.

I don't know about whether disconnecting the negative terminals helps, hurts, or no change. I replaced mine (4x4CM) and I didn't disconnect anything. I figured that's what got me here in the first place. Maybe someone else knows. I kind of figure it's got to be like any other appliance. It's probably BEST to disconnect any appliance from the power source before messing around with it, but if you are just replacing one "light bulb" for another one, either way, when you reconnect the battery, the power is going to flow thru the appliance anyway as if you never disconnected in the first place, so..... good luck, either way!

Guesser, is there something you would like to tell us? :dunno:

Well it's acting up again. Worked ok the rest of last winter. Tries it on an icy spot the other day and nothing. Only the 4x4 lo light comes on and off when i start up. I tried the reset procedure but used the neg. terminal. Now get clicking under the dash. It still doesn't seem to shift correctly though. No lights on the push buttons. Tried putting it in 4x4 hi but the panel light was only on while the button was being pushed. I ended up for awhile with it in nothing -- just like stuck in neutral --. I will try the reset with the positive terminal and if that doesn't work get a new module.

Well it's acting up again. Worked ok the rest of last winter. Tries it on an icy spot the other day and nothing. Only the 4x4 lo light comes on and off when i start up. I tried the reset procedure but used the neg. terminal. Now get clicking under the dash. It still doesn't seem to shift correctly though. No lights on the push buttons. Tried putting it in 4x4 hi but the panel light was only on while the button was being pushed. I ended up for awhile with it in nothing -- just like stuck in neutral --. I will try the reset with the positive terminal and if that doesn't work get a new module.

If the reset doesn't work, get the numbers off your module. I have a module that I got off eBay when I was troubleshooting my 4x4 problem and it is the wrong part #. If it matches your part # I can send it to you for the cost of shipping. Let me know.

The number on my old unit is 1L24 7H473 AF

question my 4x4 works, but my question is this supposed to happen after the bettery gets disconnected? I have disconnected my battery numerous time and 4x4 lights and everything still come on and operate fine.

question my 4x4 works, but my question is this supposed to happen after the bettery gets disconnected? I have disconnected my battery numerous time and 4x4 lights and everything still come on and operate fine.

fedyfedz, as far as I know there were issues with the 4x4 Control Module going bad when the battery was reconnected. I found this out from reading the numerous posts about 4x4 when mine wasn't working.

If everything works after you reconnect the battery then yours is working as it should.

Hope this didn't confuse you too much. :confused:

fedyfedz, as far as I know there were issues with the 4x4 Control Module going bad when the battery was reconnected. I found this out from reading the numerous posts about 4x4 when mine wasn't working.

If everything works after you reconnect the battery then yours is working as it should.

Hope this didn't confuse you too much. :confused:

nope perfect , another off topic yet on topic question. I have 2002 v8 limted and i want to verify which system i have, i have 5r55w tranny, 3.55 axles(not sure if that matters) for my 4x4 buttons it shows auto 4x4, 4x4 high, and 4x4 low. do i have awd or regular 4x4? from all the posts i read if i have auto 4wd the front wheels will kick in whenever rear slippage? and with awd its always in 4wd.

Other points: main reason i want to now is becasue i dont have LS and i want to now what happens when im in alot of snow and start spinning what will happen. If i start slipping when in auto 4wd since i dont have LS only one tire is spinning to begin with so does this mean that 3 tires will be turning? And if in 4high since i dont have LS does that mean 3 tires are always spinning? This is probably really confusing.

Already ordered one. e-mail says they will ship today. $201 with shpping.

Good luck with the fix. Be sure to keep us updated.

nope perfect , another off topic yet on topic question. I have 2002 v8 limted and i want to verify which system i have, i have 5r55w tranny, 3.55 axles(not sure if that matters) for my 4x4 buttons it shows auto 4x4, 4x4 high, and 4x4 low. do i have awd or regular 4x4? from all the posts i read if i have auto 4wd the front wheels will kick in whenever rear slippage? and with awd its always in 4wd.

Other points: main reason i want to now is becasue i dont have LS and i want to now what happens when im in alot of snow and start spinning what will happen. If i start slipping when in auto 4wd since i dont have LS only one tire is spinning to begin with so does this mean that 3 tires will be turning? And if in 4high since i dont have LS does that mean 3 tires are always spinning? This is probably really confusing.

You have Auto 4x4.

With it in Auto, if the rear wheels start slipping the front wheels will automatically "kick in".
With it in 4x4 High, it will be in four wheel drive until you put it back in Auto.
With it in 4x4 Low, it will be in four wheel drive until you put it back in Auto and the transfer case will be in low (for torque not speed).

I really don't know much about the rear end and what rear wheels spin when. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeh im pretty sure if you have limited slip you have like a posi rear which both wheels would spin, without LS only one will spin. so ifthe bwm was done on mine without LS and i tried to do a burnout only one wheel would spin as opposed to 2.

Back