4x4 does not work | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4 does not work

I had this same problem with the 4X4 CM, Had to replace the CM and fixed the problem, What I had that was different was the problem started with a dead battery, had to replace the battery, then noticed the keyless entry wasn't working, could only program 1 remote to it, if you disconnected the battery and reconnected, you could program a different remote but still would only accept 1 remote, Had to replace the keyless security module, then noticed later that 4X4 wasn't working, could disconnect battery and turn key on and off, connect battery , then 4X4 would work, until you turn off the key, Replacing the module behind the glove box cured that, Now I' wondering what is next? Anybody have any other modules replaced after a bad battery ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck with the fix. Be sure to keep us updated.

The module arrived today. I checked the # on the box and it is 1L2Z-7E453-A which is what Mike a silverstate ford said it should be. The # on the module however is IL24-7H417-AL. I e-mailed silverstate and they say that that everything is ok because the # on the module is the engineering #. What do you think?

Not much have happened in this thread in a while so figger I post...

I just bought a -02 Explorer Limited V8, It's equipped with the auto/high/low system.

Now, this is my first ever 4x4, and I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to work, when I put it in Auto and drive in slippery conditions (well to be honest almost every ware since we have a lot of snow atm), it will switch to "4x4 High", all lights on dash and everything. I can manually hit the "4x4 Auto" button and it will go back to Auto for a while and then slip back into "4x4 High" again. Is this how it should work or do I have a problem to work out?

Sounds like I have been lucky with our '02 Explorer: ~ 91k and no major issues but starting to act up a little lately.

I think I am going to have to replace my 4x4cm also......seemed like no 4x4 this morning trying to pull away from a slippery intersection. I replaced the battery last year or so and recall having a major spin turning left out of an intersection due to no front tire traction.

Very silly question - what is the easiest way to verify if my 4x4 is working? The kids and I love to "drift" down the driveway on a snowy day and it feels like the front end is pulling, but hard to say.

Steve O.
BC Michigan

I just joined the forum to say a BIG THANKS to everyone for their posts....I just bought a 02 Explorer XLS V6 and the second day the 4x4 would not work on a very wet day...after reading this post I was able to check that it was my 4x4 CM and I ordered one from Silver State, it arrived last night and I put it in this morning, just as everyone stated three (3) 7mm bolts and 10 mins later my 4x4 was working perfectly....I greatly apprecaite all of the great advise that is posted here. I am starting to hear a humming noise from the passenger rear, which sounds like there is a wheel bearing in my future...which there is also great info on in this forum...Just a BIG Thanks again to all who post here....

I just joined the forum to say a BIG THANKS to everyone for their posts....I just bought a 02 Explorer XLS V6 and the second day the 4x4 would not work on a very wet day...after reading this post I was able to check that it was my 4x4 CM and I ordered one from Silver State, it arrived last night and I put it in this morning, just as everyone stated three (3) 7mm bolts and 10 mins later my 4x4 was working perfectly....I greatly apprecaite all of the great advise that is posted here. I am starting to hear a humming noise from the passenger rear, which sounds like there is a wheel bearing in my future...which there is also great info on in this forum...Just a BIG Thanks again to all who post here....

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Glad you got it fixed. :biggthump

ok...I've read most of the posts on this thread...

...and here's my issue:

Son-in-law's 2002 exp lost the battery 6 months ago. They have never needed the 4wD function for their use on this family vehicle. It has always been utilized as a 2x. A few months ago, their vehicle would not engage into reverse... or any forward gear at all...that is for a few minutes. Then it would go into gear as if nothing had ever happened. A week or two later this would repeat. Now it fails to go into any gear at all: the unit seems to be locked in a "neutral" position, even though it's placed in Park. The back-up lights come on when reverse is indicated. Fuses are good to go and the tranny fluid is full and looks good (not burnt,etc.) None of the lights on the dash 4x4 buttons are illuminated at any time; more's the pity the buttons have no function at all. Ideas?

best,
bhtr

anyone now the exact name thats listed on the silver star site. I cant seem to find it for my 2002

Try looking under transfer case. I forget how I found it. I can do some better research when I get home tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to my world LOL> I have Auto and High range but no Low and it driving me nuts trying to figure it out

Are the lights on the dash Blown??

Is it definitely not going into 4WD Hi or Low?

Check to see if the shift motor is getting any power, it’s Underneath the truck on the T/case.

I have the same problem with my 93 Ranger. Can't get it in low range. I have replaced the t-case shift motor. I can manually put it in low range by removing the motor and turning the selector. I also replaced the switch. Have you found the problem with yours?

if it's going into 4wd high and not low is your truck in park or netrual that's the only gears it will engage in plus it has to be stopped in neutral will not engage while moving

Ok, problem started with 4X4 HI light flashing, truck seaming to go into 4X4 randomly. Got the replacement from silverford parts, the 4x4 works but the light still flashes. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Ok, problem started with 4X4 HI light flashing, truck seaming to go into 4X4 randomly. Got the replacement from silverford parts, the 4x4 works but the light still flashes. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Speed sensors @front and rear of tranfer case.... One or both probably failed when controller failed, mine wiped out the magnet too preventing 4wd from engaging

Thanks for the reply, so can the sensors be replaced or are they inside the transfer case?

Having a problem with my 2002 xls, under acceleration the trucks slightly bucks. When I put the truck in neural and select 4x4 low I can hear the 4x4CM click and the transfer case shifts. When I push high I dont hear anything clicking or engaging. Thanks in advance....

Bucks? Do you feel like the front is grabbing and causing the "bucking"?

Does it go into 4x4 low, after the click, verified by driving forward a little?
IF so when you select Hi from Neutral, hear nothing, is it in HI when you drive forward?

To get a baseline. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes (note it will also put your computer into learning mode again) and your truck will go back into 4x4hi auto.

Then run your tests. Corner tightly to see if the front end is locking up at low speed.

awww gimme some help here

I read through this whole thing. Wow! great job people!! I hope someone can help me get started on this problem I have. 02 explorer 4.0 auto trans 4x4=== I have no 4x4 auto. If I hit the 4x4 high button I get the 4x4 high light illuminated but no drive to front axle. If I hit the 4x4 button with my foot on the brake I get 4x4 low gear ratios but no drive to the front axle. I do have the ABS light on also for whatever reason and I imagine the ABS system is linked to the 4x4 auto function but I think it should still engage manually. Any help on where to start with this?

I read through this whole thing. Wow! great job people!! I hope someone can help me get started on this problem I have. 02 explorer 4.0 auto trans 4x4=== I have no 4x4 auto. If I hit the 4x4 high button I get the 4x4 high light illuminated but no drive to front axle. If I hit the 4x4 button with my foot on the brake I get 4x4 low gear ratios but no drive to the front axle. I do have the ABS light on also for whatever reason and I imagine the ABS system is linked to the 4x4 auto function but I think it should still engage manually. Any help on where to start with this?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I would get the ABS issue taken care of first. Having said that:

When I bought my Ex the 4x4 didn't work. I replaced the module and that didn't fix the issue.

It turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth a look.

Good luck getting it sorted. :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dang it, my 4x4 is out, im assuming its the control module...

Back