Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it Joe, you're luck you bought it! lol

Wait a minute here was looking the original for sale thread and and it states it was a AWD model but i don't see the Knob on the dash for the AWD ? :scratch:

Quote from the original thread

***REVISED

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD - 4x4
  • Dark Blue Metal Flake
  • Crome Bumpers
  • Currently has 172,500 miles -- Purchased with 45,000 miles in 2001 - it was a lease vehicle
  • 5.0 Liter V8 Motor - good condition
  • Synthetic Motor used since I bought it.
  • Grey Leather Interior - good condition
  • Cruise control works well
  • All the electronics work. CD player works
  • Power windows / Locks / Seats work
  • OEM Roof rack
  • Hidden Hitch Reciever
  • Air conditioning works great
  • No rust blow outs on the body, paint is in good shape for the age and mileage. The frame and undercarriage are in good shape. I spray/seal them with rustoleom (sp) every couple years. I use bearing grease under/inside the wheel wells .
  • It has never been wrecked while I have owned it and I believe it never had any collisions before I bought it. I am the second owner. It did recieve damaged to the tail gate while parked in a parking lot and the tail gate was replaced not repaired.
  • Originally stickered for $28900 i believe.
  • My mother-in-law backed up and brushed by the rear passenger side door resultin in some scratches on the rear passenger side door and it had a couple small dents in the same area, but not bad, fixable.

Work Done:
  • Most of the work was done in the summer of 2009.
  • Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles. The torque converter went bad and we decided to rebuild the transmission - high rated shop performed the rebuild - original transmission, not an exchange. Trany fluid replaced with Synthetic. In Excellent running condition. Cost $1800 for the rebuild.
  • Lifted with new Torsion Keys, elevated 2" in the front. Rear lifted with warrior shackles and an additional leaf spring. Gives it a true truck feel, very stiff in the back, roughly 2.5" to 3" lift in the back. This did have an air ride tow package system put in by ford (OEM). When it went bad it was over $1000 to replace, so I opted for the lift kit, offroad shocks, leaf spring, etc.... $350 for the lift kit. $100 for the shackles
  • New Superlift Shocks at 166,000 miles
  • Tire size increased to 31" x 10.5" Tires. Originals were 28.5"
  • I cleaned, painted and sealed two of the rims that had been very badly etched by road salt. The other two are untouched.

What needs to be done:
  • Exhaust manifold is leaking on the passenger side of the motor and will need to be repaired. . It is fairly loud and noticable. The price I received from a local shop was around $350, that price is to replace the manifold with a new one and labor.
  • It could use a re-level with the torsion springs and allignment, but as it is right now it is alligned and it handles fine. The shop that alligned it could have done a little better job making sure it was perfectly level. you can see that it is about 1/2 inch off in the back.
  • The suspension light is on due to the removal of the air ride system. The oil pressure sensor is a little flakey and takes a couple second to come to life on startup, but it is the sensor, not the oil pump, I had a mechanic check that. The door ajar light is on do to the hatch lock not engaging correctly.
  • The ball joints are solid and the tires do not have any play in them, but it creaked last winter, so I assume it is the ball joints and expect to replace those in the next couple years. You can grab the tire and there is no wobble or play in it.
  • The window latch in the tail gate does not work, so the rear window does not latch, but stays in place. I believe the lock is not working correctly. I have a lock actuator that I never replaced it with, I will include that.
  • The rear wiper does not work. I have a replacement motor that I will include, I have no time to install.
  • I have not gotten a matching tire size for the spare. The 31" tire will still fit underneath as I understand it. You will get the standard OEM spare.
  • Some surface paint has flaked off between the plastic and the body right behind the front tire on the passenger side. I guess the bottom of the front fender would be the correct way saying it. Not noticable, but it could be sanded and sealed. Undercarriage in good shape, no rust blow outs or holes into the cabin.

$2500 --
With current tires. Dick Cepek FCII tires with only 6000 miles on them. 31" Tire. Sold as is.

$2000 --
With a set of Older Bridgestone AT tires with maybe 40 to 50% tread left. P285 (31" tire) Sold as is

Located in Northwest Ohio.

I will bump the price up $350 if that gets fixed before it is sold. Just talked to a local mechanic today (Dec. 2) and $350 is the worse case price, labor and a new manifold.

It is still a solid vehicle and runs good. The suspension is fine and handles the lift decent. handles like a truck. It has had very light off road use, mostly getting to some remote fishing spots and the reason I lifted it in the first place. All I have towed with it was my 2000LB max load trailer, which you can see in the pics. It would make a great project vehicle if you wanted it lifted higher, or a nice vehicle as it is now. Post any questions, PM me on this board, or email me with any questions. I will not part, will not trade for another vehicle. Though I might consider a solid but older snow mobile or offroad gocart as part of the deal .... :) you can email me at woodenboatguy@gmail.com I am selling this Explorer due to the purchase of a project vehicle I just picked up a couple months back - 96 Bronco.

Thanks,

AWD V8- full time AWD = no switch...

Joe your an explorerholic. You need some serious (explorations) help! Perhaps the 12-steps may help you.

Duece looks great mate. Talk about a comprehensive for sale ad, it would be nice if everyone was so honest. Have fun cleaning her, it's going to be a mission and a half. You got the follicley challenged 285's on? Have you thought about the replacement tyres yet? She's a bloody ripper, a top truck. :thumbsup:

The 285's are on now, they're going on Wedgie to go to Kansas. :) I'm putting my BF's on Deuce for now, as they're new. They're pretty much the same height, as you can see in the side-by-side pic. The 285's look a little taller, but the truck is on some ice.

Nice ride Joe!

You got any plans for her?

*Cough 4406* :)

Nah- not even interested in a manual swap. Could change one day, but for now, no. Too many other things to spend money on. Like food. :D

:D
Yea I wanna do the swap too, but its a little out of my skill range; when you gonna start the cleansing of the beast?

looks good dirt! You need to swap that bumper for a painted one though, didn't later model xlts come with somekinda painted bumper rather than just fiberglass?

:D
Yea I wanna do the swap too, but its a little out of my skill range; when you gonna start the cleansing of the beast?

My major cleaning- not until spring. I can't tear out the carpet and have it cleaned/dried/reinstalled in cold temps fast enough to not need to drive the Camry, and it's out of the salt for winter. I'll cleanup inside a bit, but nothing major until it warms up.

I won't have my backup Wedgewood Explorer :)D) past next week, so that's not an option either. Heading to Chicago to Shedd Aquarium and then Cabela's for the weekend with the better half and mini-me, so I can't do anything this weekend anyway.

looks good dirt! You need to swap that bumper for a painted one though, didn't later model xlts come with somekinda painted bumper rather than just fiberglass?

Mine is plastic capped/chrome on the rear, and plastic capped/plastic chrome in the front.

The Limited's had painted bumpers on the rear and full painted plastic on the front, but ask Brian- the rears rust...

The XLS had plastic capped on the front and plastic/painted on the rear that also like to rust.

nice x

I knew you were gonna bring me up when he asked abou the bumpers...ass :p:

How long does it take you to take the seats and console out to get the carpet out?

Subscribing as usual.

Joe, nice ride. That is a truly dirty interior, gotta see this one come clean like all the others. Are the doors oiled like they do it in the Great White North? Drill holes in the doors, pour in oil, and then play Beer Hunter Eh?

Rockers are clean!! Duece Pele lookin good, could use some new wheels though.

The rims/wheels off Wedgie will be going on...

For me, takes about 30 minutes to pull all 4 seats, the console, and the carpet out. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks Good, will make a decent hunting truck, lots of room for that kind of stuff,,

Back