Pugly | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New door hinge pins are in and the door closes with ease.

Followed DeRocha' thread to get it done for the most part. I didn't use a floor jack, instead a couple 6 ton jack stands held the door just fine as the work was done. Used the Dremel and ground off the tops of the old pins, air hammer the old pins out, slap the new ones in, tighten up the hinge bolts to the lines drawn to mark the old place, and WHAMO! All done! :) 20 mins a hinge, as the grinding took the longest.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet, you kicked it's arse. If it had an arse...It does have a crack tho'...I'll shut up now.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well somehow the new lower door hing bushings decided they don't have to stay in place. WTF?

Top bushing worked its way out and slid down the pin resting on top of the lower bushing that was working its way out also. They were snug went they went in. Only one way they can go in, so I have to figure out how to shim somehow. Welding the holes shut and drilling does not sound to appealing to me, but neither does removing the dash for new hinges....ack!

Spew mate:thumbdwn:, that'll have to wait until well after the game ay?

Spew mate:thumbdwn:, that'll have to wait until well after the game ay?

In the morning I will see what I can do, Thoughts of drilling a small hole through the pin and slipping in a cotter pin under the bushing is dancing in my head. :D

Either I had the bushings in wrong or they just didn't want to work the way they were supposed to.

Simply flipped them to the other side of the pin holes, and they work. Problem solved, works like new again.

Spilled milk, water under the bridge, put a fork in it, it's done, :)

Jesus, talk about an easy fix!! I was trying to think about a sleave or a small tack weld, something bizarre like that. Cool cool mate.

Good job! And the comment I made about "looks better" it looked good before but the tires enhanced it :)

Good job! And the comment I made about "looks better" it looked good before but the tires enhanced it :)

LOL, it's all good Glen. I knew you meant no disrespect. I agree with you 100%, it does look, and rides better with the new tires. :D

This rig has came along way!! you need some 4.10s in front that would help. Also might has well do axle under in rear and cut and turn in front with custom longarms LOL :)

4.10s are the plan, I almost had a set for the front, but it slipped thru the cracks :(

Wouldn't have the funds for the gears for a few months, so I will be on the lookout for deals. This is the DD, and not the trail rig, so until another DD comes along, More Off road mods are not happening.

I'm in for hinge pins soon... I get about an 1/8" drop...

yea still a DD needs 4.10s with 33s not 3.27s lol, I have my front 4.10 carrier and there is chance will have 4.10 rear gears maybe that is still pending, but im not gonna take time on mine to switch from 3.73 to 4.10 Id prolly take 75 for the front and unsure on rear

Long way since these days:
056-5.jpg

059-6.jpg

065-3.jpg

I think once it does get a little further setup your gonna love it and i can almost see u driving it more than 95 or at least at Smorr, A cut and turn would be cool with longarms, fairly cheap when i do my buddies I make little Jig so next set easier

Man these photos are making me drool about the good times at Smorr

Back