1998 ford explorer 5.0 rear catalytic converter question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 ford explorer 5.0 rear catalytic converter question

str8desifer

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 5.0 v8
Hi,
I have a 1998 ford explorer 5.0 and my rear cat needs replacing. Might as well replace all. I was looking at some eastern catalytic converter parts number EAST30352 and EAST30353. If i were to purchase those, would they replace both my fronts and back, being how one says passenger side, and the other driver side. It has two catalytic converters per side, and doesn't mention anything about the rears.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome str8desifer,

Out of curiosity, why did you decide the catalytic converter needs to be replaced?

Welcome str8desifer,

Out of curiosity, why did you decide the catalytic converter needs to be replaced?

when i got the code read it said something about bank 2 catalytic threshold something. Can't remember exactly.

guess i'll try that. What about those 02 simulators that connect to the sensor and the bung? Do Those work incase the cel doesn't go away? Saw one over at amazon for real cheap. Another question i have, is there a foul smell after the cats are removed?

when i got the code read it said something about bank 2 catalytic threshold something. Can't remember exactly.

Those codes are not meant to be absolute. There are several reasons that an O2 sensor code can be set. Replacing catalytic converters on a whim will probably be a waste. I would get all of the code numbers written down first. Then research them thoroughly before buying parts.

I do agree with that- I replaced mine because one was leaking bad- the other was replaced to do them at the same time and I got a deal. ($40 each installed free)

Do some investigation on whether you really need to replace them before you worry about a spoofer to get rid of a CEL 'if' it comes on.

I didn't notice any smell. Usually there is a smell if they're plugged, but the same smell can show up if you're not firing all cylinders and tossing gas, so you can't go by smells alone.

Those codes are not meant to be absolute. There are several reasons that an O2 sensor code can be set. Replacing catalytic converters on a whim will probably be a waste. I would get all of the code numbers written down first. Then research them thoroughly before buying parts.

I checked again and the code that came up was p0430-Cat Efficiency Below Thresholds Bank 2. Car has 138,x.. miles on original cats. I change all 02 sensors when the car had 115,000 miles. Went to a spot to see what they would tell me, and without looking at the cat, said it was a bad catalytic converter. Have to get other opinions.

OK
Any discussion of removal of federal emmisions equipment is illegal. You guys know better

You might indeed have a faulty 02 sensor. Try swapping the rear ( downstream) sensors with each other and see if the code changes or not before you go cutting things.
If the code moves to the other bank the sensor is bad. If you get the same code you could have an inefficient cat converter.

Besides, your state may have a visual inspection which you will fail if the rear cats are messed with. Your location is blank so we do not know

I get this code once or twice a year. I turn it off and it stays gone for months. It has never stopped me from passing annual emmisions here in GA.

OK
Any discussion of removal of federal emmisions equipment is illegal. You guys know better

You might indeed have a faulty 02 sensor. Try swapping the rear ( downstream) sensors with each other and see if the code changes or not before you go cutting things.
If the code moves to the other bank the sensor is bad. If you get the same code you could have an inefficient cat converter.

Besides, your state may have a visual inspection which you will fail if the rear cats are messed with. Your location is blank so we do not know

Sorry about that. Mechanic told me cat is done for, said the o2's are fine. He recommended factory instead of aftermarket, said it lasts longer. Is it true? Don't want to cough up $800. I live in Jersey and did inspection april of last year and i didn't see them looking under the car.

I get this code once or twice a year. I turn it off and it stays gone for months. It has never stopped me from passing annual emmisions here in GA.

This.

My 97 would throw it if i put a tank of ****ty gas in. Just hooked up my scanner, cleared it, and didnt look back.

Came up once every 4-5months.

This.

My 97 would throw it if i put a tank of ****ty gas in. Just hooked up my scanner, cleared it, and didnt look back.

Came up once every 4-5months.

Bought a scanner off craigslist and cleared it today. Do you think it's the fuel? I always put Bp or Exxon, but for the last couple of months i've been using Delta, as its cheaper.

Sorry about that. Mechanic told me cat is done for, said the o2's are fine. He recommended factory instead of aftermarket, said it lasts longer. Is it true? Don't want to cough up $800. I live in Jersey and did inspection april of last year and i didn't see them looking under the car.

Don't buy the outrageous priced Ford cat converters. If they are bad go with aftermarket hiflow cats. I have heard (but can't comfirm) that Magnaflow converters are junk.

He can not tell a cat is bad unless he performs a back pressure test, and, reads the 02 sensor data thru a datalogging scanner. Looking at it does nothing.
For 800 bux I gaurantee you would leave with no CEL, even if he had to pull the light to do it. Sounds like that kind of guy

My free test will give you peace of mind. All you have to do is swap 2 sensors.

And yes. I would also try burning out all the fuel in the tank --until the check gauge light turns on. The refill, clear your PCM and see if this helps.

Bought a scanner off craigslist and cleared it today. Do you think it's the fuel? I always put Bp or Exxon, but for the last couple of months i've been using Delta, as its cheaper.

Could be. Now that you have the scanner, see if it pops up again. If it's a real issue it will pop up again within 100mi or less.

If you do have to replace, just go with magnaflow hi-flow cats. They're your best bet for maximum flow, and they can be had for a reasonable price on ebay.

Could be. Now that you have the scanner, see if it pops up again. If it's a real issue it will pop up again within 100mi or less.

If you do have to replace, just go with magnaflow hi-flow cats. They're your best bet for maximum flow, and they can be had for a reasonable price on ebay.

however a cat out of threshold code would be from a primary cat.

The passenger side-bank 1 primary converter will require customization to the magnaflow cat, unless it has the 02 bung already welded in place. The upstream 02 sensor must be placed upstream of the cat mesh, and, far enough away from it to keep from overheating. A good exhaust shop can blow a hole out in the tube of the converter to weld a bung in, just be sure they put it in the exact--same --exact (yes I emphasized this) location. This is also important for future removal.

The driver side(bank 2 ) primary o2 sensor is in the pipe which poses no issue.

OH heck no

I forgot the most common little cause here. cracked manifold--exhaust leak.

Do you hear a ticking under load from passenger side?

The rear cat converter is not monitored by the o2 sensors, and there are no other sensors behind it to tell you that it may be bad. The mechanic would have to do a pressure test like turdle said unless it's rusting through in which case he could tell by a simple visual inspection.

He can not tell a cat is bad unless he performs a back pressure test, and, reads the 02 sensor data thru a datalogging scanner. Looking at it does nothing.
For 800 bux I gaurantee you would leave with no CEL, even if he had to pull the light to do it. Sounds like that kind of guy

My free test will give you peace of mind. All you have to do is swap 2 sensors.

And yes. I would also try burning out all the fuel in the tank --until the check gauge light turns on. The refill, clear your PCM and see if this helps.

Where i live all these basterds are crooks. I don't know jack squat about cars except for replacing tires and putting gas. I have a mac exhaust and intake, i'm about to say the hell with this, get a x3 tuner, disable the rear 02's and get better performance. Car still drives the same. I get no rough idles, same power, only thing it seems to be wasting more fuel. The cat doesn't rattle or anything. No foul smell. I'll read how to swap the sensor and do it tonight. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

however a cat out of threshold code would be from a primary cat.

The passenger side-bank 1 primary converter will require customization to the magnaflow cat, unless it has the 02 bung already welded in place. The upstream 02 sensor must be placed upstream of the cat mesh, and, far enough away from it to keep from overheating. A good exhaust shop can blow a hole out in the tube of the converter to weld a bung in, just be sure they put it in the exact--same --exact (yes I emphasized this) location. This is also important for future removal.

The driver side(bank 2 ) primary o2 sensor is in the pipe which poses no issue.

Duh!!

What a rube. Completely forgot the rear o2's are upstream of the rear cats. I'ma go sit in the corner :(

OH heck no

I forgot the most common little cause here. cracked manifold--exhaust leak.

Do you hear a ticking under load from passenger side?

the cracked manifold in my 98 miraculously never threw a code, i just had a pesky P0422 i couldnt track down.

But yeah, if the manifold is cracked enough it would leak enough to throw off the reading.

Back