• Register Today It's free!

Fitment of interior

2ruble

Reaction score
City, State
Snellville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
Hello all, I'm new. I just bought my 1995 Ford Explorer a week ago, and have loved it so far. As my wife and I were walking through the junk yard, she found the seats out of a 1998 Explorer Limited that she liked more than ours, so we took them. Only to get them to the car to find they're the wrong color. So we went back today and got the rest of the interior from the 98 Limited, and started to put it together tonight. As we began putting it together from the back door forward, we found that the fifth door panel does not fit, and neither do the tail lights. Now before I start tearing out my interior to put the new stuff in, can anyone let me know if I'm going to run into anymore dead ends like I did. Or should the rest of the interior fit fine? Please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tail gate and lights are different the rest of the interior should fit fine. You will have to find a 95 -97 with interior color close to yours for the tail gate.

Awesome! I appreciate that. I was really dreading having to try and take all that stuff back that we spent like four hours taking out. I wanted to ask before we spent the time cleaning and doing R&R. I appreciate that, I hope everything else falls into place.

Since all that, anybody want tail lights from a 98 explorer limited? Tan interior? : )

It should all be fine from now on. You may have to splice the power seats not sure if the plug is the same from 95-98 but that isn't anything hard to do. Just look on here for wiring information on the seats if you have to do that.

EDIT: You have to be an Elite member to sell items on here.

Oh my bad about that trying to sell stuff. Good to hear there's a wiring diagram just in case I have to do something about it

Question, last one, we didn't take the dash out the first time we went. But when we switch everything over, it won't match. So will the whole dash and glove box from the 98 explorer limited fit in and around everything in the 95 explorer? Around the radio and ac controls and speed console and everything? Thanks again for the help!

IT will physically fit, but if you're counting on the electronic HVAC controls and the console computer, that is not plug and play. Neither is the stereo stuff if you went that far...

The seats (wiring harness) will not be the same. I had to rewire my 95 for Limited seats, then pulled them out since they offered zero thigh support and were uncomfortable on long trips.

Can you give me an idiots quick how to on the rewire for that? As I've done minor stereo stuff, I haven't rewired something like this. Do I need the harness out of the 98 limited from the floor? Or do I cut the harness off the 98 seat an wire that into the harness of the 95? Treat me like an idiot. Please help...

Here's an idea for you. You can go to an automotive paint supplier and buy factory color paint for the plastic interior pieces.

I'm talking about the seats... Not the dash... I've got everything replaced, except for the drivers seat because it has a different harness

I'm talking about the seats... Not the dash... I've got everything replaced, except for the drivers seat because it has a different harness

Assuming that you have heated power seats already in your Ex, and all you need to do is match up the plugs for the new seats. I would go back to yard and cut off the plugs for the Limited's seats from the wiring harness - keep 6-8 inches of wire on the plugs. Then, get some splices and just splice the new plugs to your old harness - then just plug in the new seats.

If you don't already have the necessary wiring under your seats - it will be a lot more comlplicated. You will have to get power down there to move the seats, and a switch somewhere to turn the seat heaters on/off.

If i understand everything correctly.... 2nd Generation interiors are inter-changeable?

Back