Dana 44 and 3 link install | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 and 3 link install

Since the AZ wheeling season is finally upon us, I decided it was time to put my new truck in the shop for a little tweaking to better handle the trails around here. A little about what I started with:
97Picture_189-med.jpg

Specs: 5 speed, manual tcase, 5.13's, discs and no slip in rear, 37 MTR's(street) and 36 TSL's(rocks).

The goal for this project was to build something that was able to drive to the hardest trails in AZ, run them successfully, and then drive home. It must also be able to be driven everyday as this is my main source of transportation. All decisions were made with a bias towards trail performance, instead of street comfort.

Build Specs:

Dana 44 - Left over from my last project.
- Warn shafts, CTM's, Detroit, 5.13's, Hi-steer setup, etc.
King Coilovers - 14" travel, 2" body
King Airbumps - 4" travel
Custom 3 link w/ panhard rod

All fabrication work is being performed by 4 Wheelers Supply here in Phoenix.

Work started Monday. Progress as of lunch today.
64DSC00705.jpg

Old front end has been stripped out, frame rail have been ground smooth in preperation for reinforcement plating, axle location has been determined, ride height is set. Items in the engine compartment have been relocated in preperation for the shock hoops and the crossbar that will connect them across the engine bay(next two pics).
64DSC00708.jpg

64DSC00707.jpg

I hope to stop in again at the shop Tues or Wed next week (it is a 45 drive away) and have better progress pics of the actual layout of the links, as well as the hoops for the coilovers.

Estimated completion date is sometime the first week of December.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Michael, got a couple questions for ya.

Is your front axle moved forward at all?

How much space is between your upper coilover mount and the master cylinder?

I ask because i'm in the middle of redoing my upper c/o mounts which is very similar to yours and my big hurdle is the master cylinder being right in the way. I could move my axle forward an inch but that means either moving or making new hoops which i'd rather not do.

Thanks,
Dave

The axle is only moved forward 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch.

The upper mount of the coilover is just in front of the MC, about an inch and a half. The hoop runs up just outside the MC about 2 inches. The front hardline out of the MC is bent to clear the hoop. I'll get you pics as soon as I can, I rearranged my office here at the house over the holiday and I can't find a thing in it.

If you don't want to move the hoops you might be able to find a MC that has the hard lines exit on the motor side so that you can be practically on top of it w/o worry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Michael,
I cut off the old shock tabs from the hoop and was able to mock up the shocks new location, it will be close but it should work. My problem isn't so much with the hardlines, just with the M/C itself being so long.
I've seen aftermarket brake boosters with M/C for early broncos that are angled at around 45 degrees but I don't if it's compatible or what's involved to make it work with what I got.

Michael,

I noticed a for sale on this truck did you sell it already?

I feel like Necromancing this thread:

You mentioned that the DOM on the lower links was doubled up. What ID/OD's were used?

2" .25 wall sleeved over 1.5" either .25" wall or .5" wall, I can't remember for sure. Definitely beefy and over built.

I noticed a for sale on this truck did you sell it already?

No, but I think I'm gonna keep it a while longer. Been entertaining buying a parts truck to turn it back into more of a driver.

nice man! i can stare at this all day!:thumbsup:

You could buy it for a steal in the for sale section and stare at it in your garage.

lol sounds even better. how much do they usually go for? do they sell them as a set or do i have to get them piece by piece? i am very new to this stuff :scratch:

lmao!!!!!!! wow he got me there!

Back