Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again

Ok kiddies, time for my bi-annual rebuild thread:p:
This time I won't be messing with the suspension...well, maybe the coilovers.
I may need new coils so I don't have so much uptravel but I'll deal with that much later.

Since i'm barely working progress will be slow since I'll need a few parts and whatnot to get my rig functional again. Main things I need to purchase are new leaf springs. They are totally shot and to have them rebuilt I can buy a new set of Toy springs which i'm gonna try out.

In the mean time, i've been removing stuff that either is damaged and won't be used again or just removing to get it out of the way while I work on stuff.

Here's my list so far:

Front bumper tubework: This will get reworked to accommodate the winch.
Front fenders: Thrashed beyond repair
Rocksliders: Been wanting to build new ones anyways so good as time as any to cut them off.
Rocker panels: Want to get the sliders up higher so they had to go.
Bed: Also trashed beyond repair, tubework will go in it's place
Gutted supercab area: Needed to remove for roof repair but may leave it that way and spray it with undercoating.

That's what i've done so far to the rig and I got my winch mounted today as well. I bought this winch early last summer before the roll and it's a SuperWinch Rock 9.5 short drum with synthetic rope.
I was pondering how i'd fit the grill back on since it sits behind it but i'd still need to access the freespool lever. My plan is to have it on hinges so I can flip it up, i'll just need a way to lock it in place at the bottom...maybe with Dzus fastners.

So on with the pics, i'll start with some before pics of the roof caved in and then with some of the roof almost where I want it. Still needs work obviously.
Other pics show the rockers cut and some general shots of the truck in its current condition. Last set of shots is of the winch install and grill mock up.

dscn0711.jpg

dscn0712.jpg

dscn0725.jpg

dscn0726.jpg

dscn0727.jpg

dscn0723.jpg

dscn0728.jpg

dscn0729.jpg

dscn0735.jpg

dscn0736.jpg

dscn0730.jpg

dscn0733.jpg

dscn0734.jpg

dscn0737.jpg

dscn0738.jpg

dscn0739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't help the gas staying in there for a year and eating my fuel pump though:(

I put my yellow top on a charger every once and awhile to keep it fresh since all it does is sit now. As for the fuel, I put some fuel treatment and it seems to help.

Got some new leaf springs from All-Pro, been wanting to try a set and they are 25% off right now so couldn't pass that up. They are 5" lift springs for a Tacoma and looks like the lift will be just about right after a little tweaking.
Axle is forward 1" with these springs so i'll need to fix that plus the mounting width is smaller so that needs to be addressed as well. I'll explain all this when I move on to the leaf spring install.

So I got most of the front bumper done, just need to paint it and mount the fairlead. I don't have room to mount brackets or anything in front of the winch so I'm gonna buy a winchplate and use it for the fairlead mount. Money is tight so that won't be for awhile.

Bumper is made from 1.75 HREW for the stinger and side bars, the rest is 1.5 HREW for the supports.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I don't have a press brake...all i want the plate for is the fairlead mount. When the time comes, i'm going to have Ballistic adjust the bolt pattern for me since I have a short drum winch.

I guess your right, I was thinking you could just go get a piece of Box steel and cut it down to what you need, but I just went down and measured mine and it's 7" deep which is a odd size, so it must have been bent.

OMG - which religion do you have to join to get notches like this !?!!

Not sure on that one IZ lol, but I can tell you it took a ton of mis-notches and scrap to get it that way.

Steve, your winch bolt pattern is 7" deep? My bolt pattern is 4.5" deep by 6" wide. Most winch bolt patterns are 10" wide by 4.5" deep.

This is the winch plate I plan to get and have them adjust the bolt pattern:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Generic-Winch-Plate_p_1686.html

Steve, your winch bolt pattern is 7" deep? My bolt pattern is 4.5" deep by 6" wide. Most winch bolt patterns are 10" wide by 4.5" deep.

This is the winch plate I plan to get and have them adjust the bolt pattern:
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Generic-Winch-Plate_p_1686.html

What I meant is mine has a tray if you will, is 7" deep, not the pattern. You can see from these old pics that it has a 7" x whatever" tray, that bolts on to some angle welded in between the rails.
122873.jpg

122874.jpg

I was just suggesting you could buy some really big box steel or find some channel big enough to modify into a winch plate. A lot of drilling and grinding though:rolleyes:

What I meant is mine has a tray if you will, is 7" deep, not the pattern. You can see from these old pics that it has a 7" x whatever" tray, that bolts on to some angle welded in between the rails.

I gotcha...I'm gonna stick with the Ballistic winch plate, much easier:D

Too bad that won't help fix the roof.

I'm not overly concerned with the roof, I realize it won't be prefect and i'm ok with that. I just need it good enough to stuff a cage inside.

Worked on the leaf springs this weekend, the 5" All-Pro Tacoma leafs aren't a direct bolt in so I had to do a few mods. The axle is 1" forward with these leafs so instead of dealing with moving the hangers, I redrilled the spring perches and spring plates to move the axle where I needed it.

Next issue was the rear hangers, I've broken one in half before and I just took one off that was cracked so no more stock stuff here. I've had some hangers I bought from Kartek years ago that i've been meaning to utilize, now is the time:D
These hangers are meant to be run in a shackle flip fashion with long travel springs and shackles. I'm using them in standard fashion with a stock height shackle from Off Road Design which keeps me at the ride height I want.

Ran into a problem with the stock height (4.5") shackles...the lower bolt hits the hanger when it swings:rolleyes: My solution will be 6" shackles to clear the hangers. It will give me a little more lift but that's ok because I figure the added weight from the cage, spare tire,etc. will bring the height where i want it.

Last issue is that these Tacoma springs have a 2.75" mounting width and Rangers have a 3" mounting width. I made some 1/8" spacers that i'll weld on the front hangers to fill in the gaps. The new shackles will be made to fit the springs.

Time for some updates...

Got the front bumper painted, just waiting for the winch plate I ordered to arrive.
I'll get some pics of all that after it's mounted.

Got my shackles from DIY4x4, 6" eye to eye to fit the Tacoma springs. They are painted up and ready for install.

I wanted to do something with the rear of the frame so I boxed in the last 5" of the frame and made a hitch receiver to tie it all together then capped the ends to finish it off.

I'm gonna mount the rear springs, shackles and hangers sometime this weekend and have the buttoned up finally, then I can move on and start the cage.

Here's some pics of the shackles and frame work, shackle angle should settle some more once I get the cage, interior, spare tire, etc. on the truck.

dscn0849.jpg

dscn0848.jpg

dscn0850.jpg

dscn0854.jpg

dscn0859.jpg

dscn0860.jpg

dscn0861.jpg

dscn0862.jpg

dscn0866.jpg

dscn0867.jpg

dscn0864.jpg

owwwee...Bling :D:thumbsup:

Coming along slowly but surely! :D

...I just noticed something...:scratch:

...It seems the Ranger guys on this Forum always start a main project and then get another dozen projects done before they finish the first project...:D

...Did that star cost extra???..I want a star...:p:

...I just noticed something...:scratch:

...It seems the Ranger guys on this Forum always start a main project and then get another dozen projects done before they finish the first project...:D

...Did that star cost extra???..I want a star...:p:

I guess I get side tracked easily:p: I mostly wanted to get the rear buttoned up so I can get it off the jackstands.

These are the beefiest shackles i've ever seen, made from 3/8" steel for the main part and your favorite part Ted the star, is 5/16"

I guess I get side tracked easily:p:

...It's a Ranger thing...:biggthump

...I've got a question for you...I have had all my rear material for a while and it's real similar to your receiver setup...Just waiting for time to come up with a rear bumper design...

...I know you were working on bobbing the rear in the past but the shackle placement was a problem in which you only were able to cut a few inches...It appears that with your new set up that you could probably bob another 3-4"...Is there anything in the way to keep from doing that or did I miss something?

With a real bed on there, the underside had ribbing and whatnot interfering with the hangers.
When I originally did the bed bob I think I cut out 11" then added some back in to make it 7"...kinda turned into a mess inside the bed and left it that way:rolleyes:

Currently, I could cut the frame shorter but whatever kind of bed I build next I'd like to have room for the storage box, spare tire, cooler, etc.

I'll make you deal on my old receiver if you can use it. It's a "hidden" style receiver meaning it doesn't hang down below the frame.

EDIT: I did cut the frame back 1" to get rid of that oval hole on the edge of the frame. You can see it in the pic above with the shackle and hangers mocked up on the frame.

...Ok, I got what your saying...:biggthump

...My Ranger has a custom built bed in it's distant future...:hammer:..I might be interested in your receiver set up but what I have is pretty much what you just installed...

...I was going to temporarily bolt mine between the rails and cut a hole behind the license plate for off road clevis for on trails only...It will only get welded and plated when I figure out a bumper and bed design..

...Without hanging over your current frame rails, how long of a bed can you have now?...and yes, Im' taking notes till I can see your new revisions in person..:D

...Without hanging over your current frame rails, how long of a bed can you have now?...and yes, Im' taking notes till I can see your new revisions in person..:D

Good question, i'll get a measurement after I get back from T-haven;)

Any more progress here Dave?

Back