Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chop, Cut, Rebuild: DB_1's Ranger...again

Ok kiddies, time for my bi-annual rebuild thread:p:
This time I won't be messing with the suspension...well, maybe the coilovers.
I may need new coils so I don't have so much uptravel but I'll deal with that much later.

Since i'm barely working progress will be slow since I'll need a few parts and whatnot to get my rig functional again. Main things I need to purchase are new leaf springs. They are totally shot and to have them rebuilt I can buy a new set of Toy springs which i'm gonna try out.

In the mean time, i've been removing stuff that either is damaged and won't be used again or just removing to get it out of the way while I work on stuff.

Here's my list so far:

Front bumper tubework: This will get reworked to accommodate the winch.
Front fenders: Thrashed beyond repair
Rocksliders: Been wanting to build new ones anyways so good as time as any to cut them off.
Rocker panels: Want to get the sliders up higher so they had to go.
Bed: Also trashed beyond repair, tubework will go in it's place
Gutted supercab area: Needed to remove for roof repair but may leave it that way and spray it with undercoating.

That's what i've done so far to the rig and I got my winch mounted today as well. I bought this winch early last summer before the roll and it's a SuperWinch Rock 9.5 short drum with synthetic rope.
I was pondering how i'd fit the grill back on since it sits behind it but i'd still need to access the freespool lever. My plan is to have it on hinges so I can flip it up, i'll just need a way to lock it in place at the bottom...maybe with Dzus fastners.

So on with the pics, i'll start with some before pics of the roof caved in and then with some of the roof almost where I want it. Still needs work obviously.
Other pics show the rockers cut and some general shots of the truck in its current condition. Last set of shots is of the winch install and grill mock up.

dscn0711.jpg

dscn0712.jpg

dscn0725.jpg

dscn0726.jpg

dscn0727.jpg

dscn0723.jpg

dscn0728.jpg

dscn0729.jpg

dscn0735.jpg

dscn0736.jpg

dscn0730.jpg

dscn0733.jpg

dscn0734.jpg

dscn0737.jpg

dscn0738.jpg

dscn0739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can't wait to see it running again :thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Any more progress here Dave?

Sorta kinda...everything I've started is half done mostly because I need to finish the cage. I had the reroute my exhaust since i'll be running the shocks in between the frame rails again. The shocks can't be mounted until I get the bed section on the cage done because the shocks will be mounted to it.

I've got the B-hoop and A-pillar bars bent, the bottom legs will be cut and spliced because I didn't wanna risk screwing up those long lengths of tubing.
Main tubes are 1.75 x .120 wall DOM, support and cross bars will be same size but HREW. The B-hoop legs land on the top corner of the frame and the A-pillars will land on the side of the frame. I removed the side vents and had to remove/relocate things in the dash so the A-pillar bars could pass through the dash.

Other odds and ends...I wont be running much of an interior, just carpet up front with seats and dash. Not sure if I could fit the headliner back in since I had to clearance the support structure for the roof to fit the A-pillars. I sprayed some undercoating on any of the exposed metal of the interior. Not sure it's gonna do much for sound or insulation but it looks uniform at least.

Scored some replacement parts over the last few months, got fenders from RangerX...thanks Bill:thumbsup: and got a hood for $25 off DR, side windows, rear slider, 3rd brake light for $40 also from DR. The side windows are pop outs and mine were originally fixed windows but no biggie, just had to pop rivet in the new mounts and they bolted in.
Rear window won't quite fit since the top of the cab is racked towards the drivers side but it will have to do.

So that's where i'm at, i'll snap some pics and post em up later.

good to hear your making progress:thumbsup: Maybe you can find a rubber floor matt out of a regular cab work truck or something. Then you can toss the carpet

I'll keep the carpet up front, it doesn't bother me plus it'll help with the sound deadening. The carpet in the supercab area was cut out long ago because it was easier to mount my fridge and battery. That will get will get the undercoat treatment once the sheet metal is welded back in around the cage.

Took some pics today, also had some from when I started the cage last month so these are in no particular order. B-hoop is tacked in and A-pillar tubes are just loosely in place. Got the new hood painted and mounted, fenders mounted but still need trimming, some random cage shots...also shows before/after undercoating.

dscn1105.jpg

dscn1106.jpg

dscn1114.jpg

dscn1113.jpg

dscn1089.jpg

dscn1101.jpg

dscn1093.jpg

dscn1097.jpg

dscn1107.jpg

dscn1108.jpg

dscn1116.jpg

dscn1119.jpg

dscn1122.jpg

dscn1124.jpg

dscn1128.jpg

dscn1129.jpg

dscn1132.jpg

Wow, that looks great Dave. Got the cab in much better shape then I thought you would be able to.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys...worked on the cage some more today, mostly fine tuning the fitment of the joints. Hope to make some real progress tomorrow as I start a 3 week job on Monday.

Update...got some more work done on the cage. The "eyebrow" bar and the upper center bar are tacked in. Also got a winch plate from Sky's Off Road, I only need the center portion for a fairlead mount so I hacked it up to fit my bumper and winch.

Pics...

eyebrow and center bar
dscn1133.jpg

Shot from the rear
dscn1141.jpg

Side shot
dscn1143.jpg

Another angle
dscn1144.jpg

Frame plating and tie-in
dscn1145.jpg

28" winch plate
dscn1146.jpg

Cut down to 13"
dscn1147.jpg

Cut a speed hole to lighten it up and drilled new mounting holes to fit my winch's bolt pattern
dscn1149.jpg

The aftermath
dscn1150.jpg

What is the plan for B pillar support?

Thanks Brian, I was debating the dash bar and probably should make one. I'll make one after I finish the rest of the cage. I'm gonna need to drop the cage to do full welds on top so the dash bar will go in last.

I PM'd you about the winch plate although it's self explanatory since you've seen this thread:p:

EDIT: Steve, still debating that too. Doing those corner notches are tricky if your using tube. I may try a few practice notches and see how it goes or I may just do tube gussets.

I think the B pillar would be supported by the cage if it was gussetted in the right spots. Maybe you could tie the cage into the roof, since you don't have a head liner in the way.
You could take lessons from Iz and put holes all over everything!:p:

What is the plan for B pillar support?

I wasn't thinking straight when I replied:confused: B-hoop will get an X with a center bar from top to the middle of the X.

A-pillars will most likely get 1.5" tube gussets. Dash bar will also be 1.5" tube with a center bend to match the top eyebrow bar.

Finished up the fairlead mount today and was gonna paint it but the winds have been blowing all day so i'll try tomorrow.

Got some more done on the cage and got the winch mounted, just needs to be wired up. As far as the cage goes it needs a dash bar, B-hoop bracing and a cross bar for the shocks to mount to.

dscn1168.jpg

dscn1169.jpg

dscn1165.jpg

dscn1170.jpg

dscn1173.jpg

dscn1176.jpg

dscn1174.jpg

dscn1171.jpg

Are you going to add counter braces or something on those dead ends? :nono:

That winch sure is tucked in nice an tight! :thumbsup:

Are you going to add counter braces or something on those dead ends? :nono:

You mean where the tube meets the frame?
The top and inside of the frame will be plated, I just haven't made the inside frame plates yet. Those top plates will be a lot shorter, just wanted to give myself some fudge room.

Thanks Bill:)

You mean where the tube meets the frame?
The top and inside of the frame will be plated, I just haven't made the inside frame plates yet. Those top plates will be a lot shorter, just wanted to give myself some fudge room.

Thanks Bill:)

Actually I meant on the B pillar. Your tubes coming from the front and the back don't line up. The just end in a "T" if you will or a dead end. Which I always heard not to do on a cage if you can help it. That's why I was asking if you planned to add counter braces or something.

I think i'm wondering the same thing as Steve, why you decided the keep those new tubes directly over the frame instead of putting them at the corner of the cab and lining them up with the A pillar-to-roof tubes? They end as dead tubes right now.

Back