2005 Explorer DVD System not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer DVD System not working

clarkede

Reaction score
City, State
Alexandria, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT V8
I have a 2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the built in DVD console in the rear. The power button and several other buttons seem to work because I see the main radio display change as I hit the buttons (such as volume, play, source, etc). However, the DVD display is not lit up at all. I have checked every fuse in the system twice and they are all good. I have taken the rear console out by removing the three torx screws and removed all of the plastic shields from the unit to expose the electronics. Everything looks fine on the circuit boards. There is a small 1 inch fan that has power leads that run to the board - the fan stays off. The DVD motor drive does not engage and spin the disk. The eject button will not eject the disk that is in the unit. I have checked all of the wiring harness connectors to make sure they are plugged in securely. One other item that might be related, is that the keyless entry system stopped working at a similar time - meaning the keypad on the door. The key fob's work, but not the key pad. If anyone has any information about an inline fuse or about wiring harness voltage checks or other tests, please let me know. I would be greatly appreciate it. (this includes any info on the keypad entry)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my DVD has done this too, at the start of a trip, by the time we head back it will suddenly start working on its own. . . .anytime i threaten to take it apart it will usually start working. . . .any chance you could get some pics of it. I'm was guessing the ribbon cable between the screen and board, but i have yet to take it apart. I just have worked on many laptops over the years and a video issue has usually been related to the video cable, just think it might be similar to the DVD player.

DVD system still not working

Well, I am still having same problem. I don't think it is just the video display because the DVD will not spin up or eject (yes, there is a DVD stuck in the unit). I suspect that there is some SECOND fuse or something that is inline causing much of the electronics to not function. Anyone have experience in this out there. Also, somewhere I read that the DVD system might be tied into the security control system. Anyone know of this? I am having problems with my keyless entry also (it does not work at all).

Does anyone have any schematics of the integrated DVD system in a 2005 Eddie Bauer?

Thanks!

Clarkede, do you have any updates?

I just removed an aftermarket headunit and installed the origional Ford unit. When the aftermarket unit was in, the DVD player didnt work but the display lit up with the Ford symbol on it. I assumed it was because of the aftermarket unit. Now with the factory unit, the display stays off and it will only eject and insert DVD's. The radio display shows "video" so I know it recognizes the player and Ive ran through the 3&5 button lock out. The player also powers off after 5 seconds -the speakers click and the red light in the remote control window goes off.

It seems like there is some security function preventing it from playing? If you found something that would be great before I rip it apart.

Thanks

Update and fix for the problem. After messing around with the DVD system and inspecting the entire DVD console and all the electrical connections, I found that the actual DVD player component in the system was at fault. I was able to hook up the console and get the buttons on it to control the main stereo (such as, power on/off, Input, volume, etc.). that really made me wonder why the Screen was not lighting up with the Ford Logo. I did some research and decided to just bite the bullet and buy a replacement console from someone selling them NEW on Amazon.com for about $215. I got the system and pulled out the DVD player unit and put it into my old console and sure enough it worked just fine. I will try and pry further into the DVD player and see if I can get it working and if so I will either sell it or keep it as a spare. I kinda feel like something is jamming the gears on the unit and keeping it from signaling the main unit to power on the screen.

Oh, one important thing for anyone reading this thread. Don't forget that you can hit the 3-5 buttons on the main stereo and lock out the back console from working. Kinda a "Duh" thing, but I can see where it could really cause wasted time troubleshooting it.

I will post again after I tear apart the DVD drive and see if I can get my disk out of it as well. :)

and by all means, PICs!!! if you can. Mine hasn't done it again.

subscribing. . .
:popcorn:

Update and fix for the problem. After messing around with the DVD system and inspecting the entire DVD console and all the electrical connections, I found that the actual DVD player component in the system was at fault. I was able to hook up the console and get the buttons on it to control the main stereo (such as, power on/off, Input, volume, etc.). that really made me wonder why the Screen was not lighting up with the Ford Logo. I did some research and decided to just bite the bullet and buy a replacement console from someone selling them NEW on Amazon.com for about $215. I got the system and pulled out the DVD player unit and put it into my old console and sure enough it worked just fine. I will try and pry further into the DVD player and see if I can get it working and if so I will either sell it or keep it as a spare. I kinda feel like something is jamming the gears on the unit and keeping it from signaling the main unit to power on the screen.

Oh, one important thing for anyone reading this thread. Don't forget that you can hit the 3-5 buttons on the main stereo and lock out the back console from working. Kinda a "Duh" thing, but I can see where it could really cause wasted time troubleshooting it.

I will post again after I tear apart the DVD drive and see if I can get my disk out of it as well. :)

how do I "Unlock" the DVD ?

I would assume by hitting the same buttons..ie the 3-5 radio preset buttons (there are 6 total)

I tried and still is not working, anyone please help me !!!!! I need the AUX to plug and play my Iphone

thanks
JC

where is the power source of the DVD, does the radio powers the DVD, or is a separate source?

Back