Painting the grill chrome

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Does anyone know if painting the grill chrome is okay? I heard there are chrome paints and I would like it check it out. Ford said they didn't want to make the grill chrome for some reason. I think it would look nice chrome though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUM5vxoP_8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are thinking of using chrome spray paint, I wouldn't try it. I painted the wheels on my old lawn tractor with it(The tractor also had a stack without a muffler, and it was candy apple red with white stripes). The shine did not hold up well at all. It just became silver.

Is it even legal to paint your car that shinny?

I don't think so but it would be nice if I could chrome it like that.

Is it even legal to paint your car that shinny?

I don't see why it would be illegal, but I am no expert and I stayed at home last night, not Holiday Inn Express
If I get pull over because of that, I would ask is AirStream trailer is illegal then?

I'd just like the grill to be chrome. I think it is illegal if the whole car is chrome. So anyone have ever used chrome paint that could give some ideas or reviews? Thanks!

I'd just like the grill to be chrome. I think it is illegal if the whole car is chrome. So anyone have ever used chrome paint that could give some ideas or reviews? Thanks!

I've used "chrome" paint in the past and have never been pleased with the results. I suggest you look into a reputable plating company that does quality work with plastic.

I wish I could go the other way and match every chrome piece on my Ex to the body color. Or at the very least the XLT grille, but it would probably cost a lot. My hatred for chrome runs deep.

I agree though, I think you should go to an actual plating business. I have seen some of the spray on stuff, and one thing that sucks is if it starts to chip, because it seems to come off in large chips and ends up looking a lot worse. And being right on the front there I imagine you would get chips really quick.

Or maybe they were just using really bad spray on chrome.

i was thinking the same thing about chrome bumper and found this...

http://www.mmmetalizing.com/services.html

Though chrome can be borderline gaudy, I think the factory grill done is a nice grill will fit perfectly with my ingot silver XLT and 20" polished wheels. i didnt check price. let me know if you do.

Also, I wont have to be worried about paint chips or bugs ruining the paint on the grill and dont have to deal with detail waxing on it. then top it with the logos in ingot silver back or maybe a dark chrome back.

Does anyone know if painting the grill chrome is okay? I heard there are chrome paints and I would like it check it out. Ford said they didn't want to make the grill chrome for some reason. I think it would look nice chrome though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkUM5vxoP_8

Back