Suggestions for aftermarket DVD players | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for aftermarket DVD players

darth_hangover

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limted (on Order)
I'm torn on whether or not to get the DVD players with the vehicle. I'm considering buying a Limited 4WD with 302A, moonroof, and towing package.

We have a one year old right now, still in a rear facing seat, and we're talking about about having another child next year. If I get the DVDs, I may only want one installed (at most) since the kids won't be able to watch them for at least another year and I don't want to risk scratching the screens with the back of the carseat. Can I have only one installed and keep the other to get installed later? Or get them now and hold on to them until we're ready to have them installed?

If I don't get them now, but decide to add them later, what do you think my chances are of still being able to get them?

Thanks!

DH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having an aftermarket overhead DVD installed tomorrow. They are cheaper and with at least a 9.5 inch screen makes it easy for the third row to watch.

If money is no object, then yes you can buy them and put them away for later.

If they were $500-$800 I really might of bought them but at $1900 MSRP it was an easy decision not to buy them.

I would rather strap a portable one around the headrest for $99.00. Or buy another iPad so both my kids could watch movies and then take them up to the hotel rooms on trips.

The reasons are endless not to get them at $1900.

The factory ones have to be bought with the vehicle. Your can't get them later on unless Ford offers it down the road.

Thanks for the replies! To drober's point, it's probably not worth almost $2k now, plus in two years there may be better aftermarket options out there...

Thanks for the replies! To drober's point, it's probably not worth almost $2k now, plus in two years there may be better aftermarket options out there...

Agreed. They would be a better. Option if they were integrated into the MFT system better. Might as well get 2 iPads. :)

Just make a small cover for the sreen

I am having an aftermarket overhead DVD installed tomorrow. They are cheaper and with at least a 9.5 inch screen makes it easy for the third row to watch.

What model are you buying and where did you purchase. I am in the market also. THANKS!!!

Not so much. They can be added after the fact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2011-Ford-Explorer-Dual-DVD-Headrest-Video-Players-/350453733126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198ab9706

Still to high in my opinion, but they are an option.

Those are almost nicer then the OEM ones.

Touchscreen is nicer then a plastic remote, but honestly thats the way the OEM ones should be configured through the SYNC system. There should be a SYNC DVD GUI that allows parents the ability to operate the headrest system for their kids without crawling into the back.

GM has been doing it for years its nothing new.

And whats with FM modulation for in vehicle audio?........serious drop in quality.

They are not $2,000 like everyone keeps saying. That is the MSRP, but who here is paying MSRP for their X? The proper cost to look at, and complain about if you want, is the dealer invoice, since I assume most everyone is paying $X over invoice. Doing this means you are paying a similar smaller amount over invoice for each option you select. I believe the actual cost then is closer to $1,600.

Also, just like I argued in another post, I can think of endless reasons not to waste money on options I think are silly that many others have paid for (moonroof, polished wheels, bucket seats, trailer tow, etc.) so to make blanket statements like that about the DVD system is silly. If it's not for you just say so, but personally, I think I'll get much more use out of my DVD units than anyone will who spent $$$ on shiny wheels or a trailer tow package when they never tow anything :)

They are not $2,000 like everyone keeps saying. That is the MSRP, but who here is paying MSRP for their X? The proper cost to look at, and complain about if you want, is the dealer invoice, since I assume most everyone is paying $X over invoice. Doing this means you are paying a similar smaller amount over invoice for each option you select. I believe the actual cost then is closer to $1,600.

Also, just like I argued in another post, I can think of endless reasons not to waste money on options I think are silly that many others have paid for (moonroof, polished wheels, bucket seats, trailer tow, etc.) so to make blanket statements like that about the DVD system is silly. If it's not for you just say so, but personally, I think I'll get much more use out of my DVD units than anyone will who spent $$$ on shiny wheels or a trailer tow package when they never tow anything :)

The OP question was "I'm torn on whether or not to get the DVD players with the vehicle."

Everybody gave their opinion and cost is the biggest factor on them being a reason not to get them.

I have a ten and five year old little girl and have a need/want for DVD players or an entertainment system in the vehicle but there is no disputing that the factory system is way over priced (IMHO)!

Don't be upset that you got them, they are nice to have and you and your family will enjoy them but others still have the opportunity to consider different options.

That is ridiculous. Everyone who didn't order exactly as I did has made a mistake they must now live with ;)

Buy them both an iPad. It'll be cheaper up front, more useful all around, and when your out with them you can always take one into a restaurant and play an hour of baby einstein for them while you eat. Really! Works unbelievably well! Take it from me, tried and true, dad of an 18 mo. Old and 6mo old, and were still social even with the kids with us.
We attached ours to the headrests with 2" thick Velcro.

Buy them both an iPad. It'll be cheaper up front, more useful all around, and when your out with them you can always take one into a restaurant and play an hour of baby einstein for them while you eat. Really! Works unbelievably well! Take it from me, tried and true, dad of an 18 mo. Old and 6mo old, and were still social even with the kids with us.
We attached ours to the headrests with 2" thick Velcro.

I think in retrospect the iPad solution was the ticket.....your absolutely right.

i can get the oem ones for $1400 installed and warrantied 3/36 . what are most paying for them? the ford dealers use them in my area. i am not sure which route i am going oem or ipad myself???

i can get the oem ones for $1400 installed and warrantied 3/36 . the ford dealers use them in my area. i am not sure which route i am going oem or ipad myself???

I ultimately went with OEM. I like having the warranty, headphones, and ease of use for physical DVD's which the kids have plenty of. Not only that but they are mounted nicely and wired appropriately.

I understand why people would choose an iPad. They are more versatile for sure. But for watching movies, they are a PITA. Obviously you'll have to rip and transfer. Space is an issue. Mounting is an issue. Power is an issue.

I ultimately went with OEM. I like having the warranty, headphones, and ease of use for physical DVD's which the kids have plenty of. Not only that but they are mounted nicely and wired appropriately.

I understand why people would choose an iPad. They are more versatile for sure. But for watching movies, they are a PITA. Obviously you'll have to rip and transfer. Space is an issue. Mounting is an issue. Power is an issue.

I don't think I agree, you can download movies right to the iPad or just sync it with iTunes, the movies are MPEG4 so the file size is smaller than a tradtional DVD and the X has USB and a power plug right in the vehicle. The iPads battery is rated for 10 hours!

I'm starting to feel like an iPad sales associate! LoL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I agree, you can download movies right to the iPad or just sync it with iTunes, the movies are MPEG4 so the file size is smaller than a tradtional DVD and the X has USB and a power plug right in the vehicle. The iPads battery is rated for 10 hours!

I'm starting to feel like an iPad sales associate! LoL

Sure... If you already buy movies on iTunes. I don't use iTunes, I have mostly physical DVD's. To get those DVD's to play on an iPad requires a whole lot of effort that I'm not willing to do. Once you rip them, you have to store them on the iPad. With 16GB or a 32GB iPad, that's not very many movies.

I'm not against those who want to use an iPad. You can certainly make it work. However, for those of us that just want to drop a DVD into the player and be done with it, the OEM players are a good choice. An iPad just isn't going to be that easy.

Back