Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

parixit

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hi All,

I picked up my explorer (4WD, XLT, 202A package) 2 days back and today after an automatice system maintanance update, It started showing Terrain managment system fault message on left hand side LCD cluster. After this message TMS dial is no longer working. Has anyone here ran into similar problem?

Thanks,
-Parixit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I picked up my explorer (4WD, XLT, 202A package) 2 days back and today after an automatice system maintanance update, It started showing Terrain managment system fault message on left hand side LCD cluster. After this message TMS dial is no longer working. Has anyone here ran into similar problem?

Thanks,
-Parixit

Only when my battery was failing. The whole system was goofy with a spotty battery. Cleared up when the dealer replaced the battery.

I had that once when I started the Ex up? I was like WTF? Switching the knob wouldn't do anything. Turned the car off and on again and it was gone. I have not seen it since. That was like a month ago

i am just curious....i have been seeing people are talking about automatic maintenance updates...my question is HOW if the car has no wifi connection, no NAV, no phone connected for tethering if any...how does the MFT or whatever the system gets the connection for updating?

I have had the problem occur several times with my Ex. My build date was 2/15/11. The issue has occured at least 20 times so far with 4 time this past weekend. The problem clears when you shut the truck off and restart it.

My dealer could NOT find any faults being reported in the computer. Its becoming a real nussance now. I made another appointment at the dealer for this Tuesday. I will keep you posted on my progress.

i am just curious....i have been seeing people are talking about automatic maintenance updates...my question is HOW if the car has no wifi connection, no NAV, no phone connected for tethering if any...how does the MFT or whatever the system gets the connection for updating?

I think what people were referring to, was if you have your SYNC MFT Wireless Connections setup to connect to any open wireless then the system will connect if you are within range. Either stopped in a parking lot or at a red light in traffic. As soon as I drive in my driveway it finds mine and connects instantly.

The MFT system may then take that as an opportunity to update the Microsoft OS.

It happened to me when I stopped outside a Starbucks, it grabbed the free WiFi and the the Microsoft OS screen came up "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance".....ran the update then worked fine.

I asked the dealer techs if this was normal and they were not sure because MFT is so new the dealers have very little knowledge.

I would suggest some of the people on this forum who work in the I.T. world and actually own a vehicle with MFT have more knowledge then the average dealer service tech.

At this point it's only a theory as no one from SYNC Development Team or Tech Support has confirmed this as far as I know.

I think what people were referring to, was if you have your SYNC MFT Wireless Connections setup to connect to any open wireless then the system will connect if you are within range. Either stopped in a parking lot or at a red light in traffic. As soon as I drive in my driveway it finds mine and connects instantly.

The MFT system may then take that as an opportunity to update the Microsoft OS.

It happened to me when I stopped outside a Starbucks, it grabbed the free WiFi and the the Microsoft OS screen came up "Performing Scheduled System Maintenance".....ran the update then worked fine.

I asked the dealer techs if this was normal and they were not sure because MFT is so new the dealers have very little knowledge.

I would suggest some of the people on this forum who work in the I.T. world and actually own a vehicle with MFT have more knowledge then the average dealer service tech.

At this point it's only a theory as no one from SYNC Development Team or Tech Support has confirmed this as far as I know.

These are only maintenance reboots. There is no "update". Updates will eventually be available via SyncMyRide download to USB. Mine does this about once per month. The one today actually did not require engine shut down and restart. Rebooted after about 2 minutes.

I took my Ex in for the terrain mgmt fault issue and they are going to keep the vehicle for a few days and have a Ford Engineer come to look at it. The dealer is surprised that a fault is being raised and it is not captured in the onboard computer. I will keep you advised on what they find.

Hi everyone,

This thread is a little stale, but the terrain management fault came up on me twice over the Memorial day weekend. As the earlier posts suggest, the system seems to reset itself after the engine is turned off for a while. When in the fault, the terrain dial is no longer lit on the truck icon and rotating the dial does nothing. A message appears in the left message area.

For those of you who experienced this problem, is there any new information you can share?

The car does NOT connect to the Internet. It's very misleading. It only extends itself as a router when connected to wifi or a USB modem. It will not go online itself, which is pretty lame. The "system maintenance" screen is a fancy bs way of telling you the system has crashed and is rebooting. Again... Lame.

I took my Ex in for the terrain mgmt fault issue and they are going to keep the vehicle for a few days and have a Ford Engineer come to look at it. The dealer is surprised that a fault is being raised and it is not captured in the onboard computer. I will keep you advised on what they find.

Pomerjo, would like to know what your dealer found, if anything. It's been a month now. Are you noticing that the issue is resolved. Thanks.

Terrain Mgt Fault

I am receiving this msg after only 500 miles from new in my Limited model. It does not always alert on startup, but eventually does fault, along with the AdvanceTrac. Both always fault together. The light on the Terrain Mgt selector goes out and does nothing.
my first appt @ Dealer is next week - will post result.

ive had this happen numerous times too. along with many others since my build was an early one too. window lock dont work. mft crashes, turns on audio all the time, a pillar rattles, streaky windows, improperly balanced tire(s) that the dealer notes they dont notice, etc. etc. etc.

Would be nice to hear what the resolution was.

as of yet, i have yet to hear of a solution. my dealer has told me to pull over, restart and the error seems to be gone. not much of a fix, but it does work.

Officer: Why are you stopping on the freeway???

Sorry, sir. I had to reboot my car.

Ticket gets written with no mercy, unless said officer has a new 2011 Ford Explorer sitting in his garage at home.

If he does, they hug it out and have a little cry....

:salute:

A Pillar rattle

Funny, I also have that A pillar rattle on the passenger side...
Driving me nuts!:p:

parixit & pomerjo,

Was your dealer successful in resolving the concern for you? If not, or if you have any other issues, please feel free to message me. I already have you Explorer’s info from tracking the order status, so all I would need is your approximate mileage and dealer name.

For those who haven’t sent me their information and would like help with taking care of a concern, please PM me with your VIN and the above information.

Cory

Officer: Why are you stopping on the freeway???

Sorry, sir. I had to reboot my car.

Ticket gets written with no mercy, unless said officer has a new 2011 Ford Explorer sitting in his garage at home.

If he does, they hug it out and have a little cry....

:salute:

:):):)

thats funny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a very similar issue with the traction control system faulting right when i picked up the car from purchase.

My dealer found the issue and it was some faulty module in the steering column that was a part of the processing unit for all the traction control systems. They replaced the whole unit, and that has fixed the issue.

If Ford has a common database that they use to solve issues, your dealer might find my documentation in there no, as this was the first issue of it's kinda at my dealer.

Back