• Register Today It's free!

Ticking Noise While Engine Is OFF

ExplorerSprt02

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
My check engine light has been on for a couple of months, and today I finally decided to check if anything obviously wrong was going on under the hood.

With the engine off and the key out of the ignition I hear a steady ticking noise, that tocks too, similar to a clocks second-timing.

It sounds like it originates to somewhere by the driverside towards the firewall possibly.

Any experiences with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do this only when the car has been driven, is hot and in the process of cooling down, once turned off OR even when it's stone cold?

BH

When I first heard it, the engine was running and driven for 10 mins.
I checked under the hood while the engine is cold, and no ticking noise!

So I presume there is no issue here?

Now to trouble shoot the check engine light. Is there any common problems that lead to the light coming on? I have had the light come on before due to the dying of some small air sensing unit which I replaced for about $15.

take it down to somewhere like autozone and ask them to pull the trouble codes for you, they will do it free.

I think the sound you're hearing is the contraction of the exhaust manifold?

I would suggest you take a trip to Autozone or similar and have them pull the codes for you, in order to see what's tripping the CEL. It's free.

BH

engine will not turn over Ticking Noise While Engine Is OFF

when I turned it off it last night it started ticking like a clock and i have not been able to start it since

the clicking seems to originate beside the firewall driver side

After market alarm system? I have a 98 that does that but I have not had a no start problem. Seems to be about 6-10 seconds between ticks with mine.

ford ranger not starting tcking noise

when I turn the key I can hear the fuelpump but it is not cranking i have cleaned the the cables to the battery and the battery posts engine still doesn't crank

Just recently was having the same problem with my Explorer. Ticking noise (not the cooldown kind) and dead battery by morning. Turns out the battery saver relay was going nuts.

Under the hood should be the power junction box (drivers side near brake master cylinder. Pop the lid and listen and feel if it's one of the relays cutting on and off.

Thanks for the tip found the problem I disconnected the after market alarm the ticking stopped now my truck is starting thanks for the tip on the after market alarm now I just need to need to replace the alarm controller

Back