Almost a serious electrical fire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost a serious electrical fire

So I came out of the bar tonight with my girl, and while waiting for everyone else to be ready to leave I hopped up on the hood of my car, and then my girl jumped up too, about thirty seconds later a fu#@$$&ing sh#@ ton of smoke begis billowing out from under my hood, at first I thought we had shorted out my battery, so I shoved everyone off the hood and popped the hood, turns out when we sat on the hood, the subwoofer wires got pinched by a bolt and shorted out, when I popped the hood, the wire was BRIGHT RED and all the insulation burned off

Lesson of the night, always run your wires through the firewall and not through the corner of the hood and behind the weather stripping

Pictures to come tommorow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lesson of the night, always run your wires through the firewall and not through the corner of the hood and behind the weather stripping

Lesson #2 Hoods aren't designed for sitting on.

BTW Nice save on the meltdown of your truck.:thumbsup:

good point, nut they are so comphy

One of the girls I was with wouldent even ride back with me cus she was afraid my car was going to catch fire again

:bsnicker:Maybe it wasn't the car she was afraid of :shifty_ey...........:D

:rolleyes: You "hopped up on the hood" and encouraged/allowed others to? :crazy:

good point, nut they are so comphy

One of the girls I was with wouldent even ride back with me cus she was afraid my car was going to catch fire again

Probably because you shoved her off to save your truck. Priorities :thumbsup:

Might want to get a fuse on that wire... as close to the battery as possible.

Lesson #2 Hoods aren't designed for sitting on.

The roof, on the other hand, is the best tanning spot in town. ;)

Last fall our blower switch coil caught some freaking debris on fire, pouring wood smoke into the cabin through the vents. Took me a week after my manly man cleaned everything out and drove it for several miles before I accepted it as safe again. The fire extinguisher stays under the driver's seat now. :)

The roof, on the other hand, is the best tanning spot in town. ;):)

Only if you're a hot babe!!:rolleyes: And IF you are.....:ttiwwp:

A dude tanning on the roof of an Ex is just .... you know!

A dude tanning on the roof of an Ex is just .... you know!

A dude tanning on the roof is as wrong as sitting on the hood. Now on the other hand if you are sitting there watching him then that is... you know!

Yeah!

Lol hot women on cars....

Anyways, I want to post up pictures but I only have a phone to post with...

today I pulled the fuse box and battery and found a hole burned into my wiring harness and a lot of melted copper wire on the wheel well, my truck has been starting rough and running rough for a few minutes untill it warms up... So I've wrapped every wire back up and spliced a few back together tthat had been damaged and its running fine now

I also bought yhe propper wiring on ebay, and I am going to do it right

Back