• Register Today It's free!

mcpherson's YJ Build Thread

mcpherson

Reaction score
City, State
Cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '88 YJ
Figured this would be just as good as anywhere to document my Jeep build thread.

For as long as I could remember I have always wanted to own a Jeep (dont worry, the explorer still has some plans ahead of it and will not be going anywhere.) So after some searching I located a deal on a Jeep and purchased it. I had all best intention of leaving the orginal engine with carberator and transmission, well on the hour long drive home this thought change very quickly and 2 days later I purchased an XJ donor vehicle for the complete engine, wireharness and computer. As further plans went, I ran some compression test on the XJ jeep and it wasnt looking so good; so the next best thing was to test the YJ engine and voila, it came back with excellent results. It was concluded that I was going to purchase a rebuilt cylinder head (4.0 Cast #7120) and with some modifications mount it on the pre-existing 4.2 YJ block.

Stock Specs:
  • Engine - 4.2L I6, 2-B Carb (160,000+ miles)
  • Transmission - TF999
  • Trasfer Case - NP231
  • Front Axle - Dana 30
  • Rear Axle - Dana 35
  • Axel Gear Ratio - 3.54:1
  • Suspension - Stock
  • Tires - 31'

IMAG0085.png

IMAG0100.png

Engine Swap
- Purchased a donor 95' XJ 4.0 Sport

- Parts List:
  • Remanufactured Head Cast#7120 (RockAuto.com)
  • Motor Oil (Local Auto Store)
  • Spark Plugs (Local Auto Store)
  • Spark Plugs Wires (Local Auto Store)
  • Distributor Cap (Local Auto Store)
  • Rotary Button (Local Auto Store)
  • Water Pump - FlowKooler (Quadratec.com)
  • Thermostat (Local Auto Store)
  • Oil Filter (Local Auto Store)
  • Serpentine Belt (Local Auto Store)
  • Upper Gasket Set
  • Crankshaft Seals (Local Auto Store)
  • Electric Fan
  • Exhaust Studs
  • Electric fan Control Unit (DCControl.com)
  • Fuel Pump (RockAuto.com)

IMAG0034.png

IMAG0023.png

Transmission Swap
- AW-4 Transmission from an 88' XJ

- Parts List:
  • Novak Shifter Assembly for New Process - 231 Transfer Case
  • Front & Rear Main Seals
  • Filter & Gasket
  • Transmission Fluid - 8 Quarts

IMAG0103.png

IMAG0089.png

Misc & Replacement Parts (Other then engine/transmission related)
  • Soft Top & hardware - Bestop 54599-15 Supertop Black Denim Soft Top with Tinted Windows (Amazon)
  • Cleaner - Bestop Protectant & Vinyl Window Cleaner (JC Whitney)
  • Front Floor Mats - PLASTICOLOR (JC Whitney)
  • Rear Cargo Mat - PLASTICOLOR (JC Whitney)
  • Black Lower Door Hinge Brackets - Smittybilt 7607 (Amazon)
  • Black Windshield Hinge Brackets - Smittybilt 7603 (Amazon)
  • Black Complete Hood Kit - Smittybilt 7699 (Amazon)
  • Extreme Black Sport Handle - Smittybilt 769310 (Amazon)
  • FAIRCHILD INDUSTRIES 13 Piece Weatherstrip Kit (JC Whitney)
  • XJ Hayes Manual (Local Auto Store)
  • YJ Hayes Manual (Local Auto Store)

Soon to be here after mods:
  • BDS Suspension - 3-1/2" Lift Kit w/Shocks
  • M.O.R.E. Front & Rear Boomerang Shackle (5/8" lift)

Related Information:

Engine Specific

Transmission Specific

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wire harness from the donor XJ:
IMAG0091.png

Yes, it really is that bad:
IMAG0101.png

The rear of the wrangler full of the XJ 4.0 engine parts
IMAG0102.png

Well, being that it was Easter weekend I only achieved a few hours to work on this. Some parts came in last weekend, one being the fuel pump so below is a picture of it. The other photos are of just of progress and misc.

E2000 - Fuel Pump:
IMAG0104.png

Progress Pictures:
IMAG0122.png

IMAG0123.png

4.0 sidepiece of block and bolt holes
IMAG0108.png

So you're keeping and fixing both Jeeps and the Explorer?
I'm so lost. lol.

I love Jeeps and would own and drive one all the time, but I would be WAY to cold in the winter and would then hate it. :p

So you're keeping and fixing both Jeeps and the Explorer?
I'm so lost. lol.

I love Jeeps and would own and drive one all the time, but I would be WAY to cold in the winter and would then hate it. :p

I went back and forth on the thought of to keep or not to keep the Explorer, but I enjoy driving it so much. Plus I have some thoughts of what I would like to do with it down the road. As for you being lost I think the term "It's a jeep thing" covers it, but hey not to worry I am lost also with this also, I suppose keeping the Explorer is keeping me lost. I don't like the cold myself, so it does have the hardtop for the winters and worse case the Explorer is there unless its receiving the a new axle or 2... and the jeep may need that rear 8.8 axle, opps did I just write that. ;)

Haha, you're my kind of guy.
My buddy has a Jeep, I kind of understand the Jeep thing, he just doesn't do it right. lol.

I'm having a similar problem trying to decide what to keep or sell with my Mountaineer or Explorer, as I can't afford 2, and don't have a need for 2 at the moment... while I can get my hands on a supercharged302 for the Mounty, I don't really want to do it, and I'm tired of the Explorer, I've owned that a year and a half and I have nothing left to do with, and I want a street truck, my mind is just full of ####. lol. There's a lot more going on than what I just said. But I don't wanna clog up your thread here.. lol...

This is his 87 YJ? I think, IDK! :p 4cyl 5 speed that goes tick tick tick.
And my Explorer in the back ground yay! :)

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 957

Haha, you're my kind of guy.
My buddy has a Jeep, I kind of understand the Jeep thing, he just doesn't do it right. lol.

I'm having a similar problem trying to decide what to keep or sell with my Mountaineer or Explorer, as I can't afford 2, and don't have a need for 2 at the moment... while I can get my hands on a supercharged302 for the Mounty, I don't really want to do it, and I'm tired of the Explorer, I've owned that a year and a half and I have nothing left to do with, and I want a street truck, my mind is just full of ####. lol. There's a lot more going on than what I just said. But I don't wanna clog up your thread here.. lol...

This is his 87 YJ? I think, IDK! :p 4cyl 5 speed that goes tick tick tick.
And my Explorer in the back ground yay! :)

I hear ya bud, decisions can be hard to make. Just flip a coin and stick with it. :thumbsup:

As you can tell, new & old head:
IMAG0127.png

Backside of the new heads water slots:
IMAG0129.png

Somewhat not organized 4.0 parts:
IMAG0130.png

Discovered this while detaping the the YJ's wiring harness. This will be replaced and the rest of the vehicle will be under close attention.
IMAG0132.png

More goodies arrived yesterday.

Obviously this is a FlowKooler Water Pump, Model 1747:
IMAG0137.png

IMAG0139.png

Fuel Pump Block-Off Plate:
IMAG0140.png

Dial Indicator (because each setup can be different in regards to Push-Rods, I purchased this to verify what will and will not work):
IMAG0143.png

Novak Shifter Assembly for New Process - 231 Transfer Case:
IMAG0144.png

Also got around to removing the head form the YJ, and just as suspected the cylinders look pretty good:
IMAG0145.png

IMAG0146.png

Was also able to have most of the wiring pulled to the side, 3 reasons for this is:
  1. remove old engine wiring
  2. clean oil off wires
  3. inspect all wires for cuts & bare wires
IMAG0155.png

IMAG0156.png

Back