• Register Today It's free!

On and off knocking at idle.

Braydon

Reaction score
City, State
West Haven, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Hey, I've got a recently acquired 93 explorer xlt and at idle there is a knock that is on for a few seconds then goes completely away for a few seconds, and then back on again. The guy that owned it before said it was a sticky valve, but i dont understand how it could knock one second and be silent the next. Im planning to run some injector cleaner through it the next week sometime. do you think it would fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome braydon

My truck does that too i was told that was the a/c

i have a '93 4.0 ranger it ticks and goes away i believe its lifter tick caused by a failing lifter

I agree my last car was a ford zx2 and it had a taping sound and and when i took it in they said it need a valve job new cams and the head need to be shaved. and found out later it had a small hole in the fourth piston, so I traded it and got me a exploder.

Is it a knock or a tick? If its a ticking, its most likely the lifters. VERY common on first gens.

Its a ticking noise. So I think a valve is sticking. I ran some gumout through it this tank of gas and its at a quarter tank now. I think it helped alittle. I also plan to do seafoam in about a month and a half.

I get a little ticking at cold start, however, this problem goes away once the the truck warms up. Are you sure that the IAC valve is not sticking at starting at startup?

not sure, go for some professional

If we all took this advice we would not need this board !

Anyway, mine does not knock but I do get some what seems to be valve ticking and goes away in a few seconds.

If it is a rod knock, it doesl not go away, does it ?

Hey, I've got a recently acquired 93 explorer xlt and at idle there is a knock that is on for a few seconds then goes completely away for a few seconds, and then back on again. The guy that owned it before said it was a sticky valve, but i dont understand how it could knock one second and be silent the next. Im planning to run some injector cleaner through it the next week sometime. do you think it would fix it?

lifter trick.. mine does it.. been diagnosed.. just a lifter

If we all took this advice we would not need this board !

Anyway, mine does not knock but I do get some what seems to be valve ticking and goes away in a few seconds.

If it is a rod knock, it doesl not go away, does it ?

i rod can knock if your spun a bearing.. if you spun a bearing your looking at expensive repairs..

hey

Hey man Im also new to this but my 1993 limited has a slight tick when i first start it and its cold. Yeah mine tend to go away after its warms up! L:exp:ifters?

thanks for the advice. im pretty sure its just a lifter tick. and it does seem to be less when its warm.

Back