Splash guards and rear bumper protector | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Splash guards and rear bumper protector

economizer

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2011
Did not get the splash guards from dealer. Will buy them from partscheap.com for $76.20 plus shipping $11.65. Still a great deal. My concern is, are they easy to install? I have jacks to lift the car and move the wheels. Is there anything else needed?

http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-16A550-BA
http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-16A550-AA

Also found bumper protector from them. looks good. Anyone bought it?
http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-17B807-A&CartID=2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did not get the splash guards from dealer. Will buy them from partscheap.com for $76.20 plus shipping $11.65. Still a great deal. My concern is, are they easy to install? I have jacks to lift the car and move the wheels. Is there anything else needed?

http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-16A550-BA
http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-16A550-AA

Also found bumper protector from them. looks good. Anyone bought it?
http://www.partscheap.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB5Z-17B807-A&CartID=2

Have both. I installed the splash guards without actually drilling the last screw that it recommends, so I didn't have to remove the wheels. They don't really add any extra stability to them. I also have the bumper protector. Its a very tedious installation, and mine ended up being off by about 1/16" inch because it pulled itself during installation.

I have the bumper guard and installed it myself. I actually didn't find it tedious.. I did it myself in about 2 minutes.

The bumper guard has a film on the bottom and top of it and the film is bigger then the guard. When you get the guard, you will see that the cutout of the film is the exact shape/design of the bumper (the side that is closest to the rear hatch/door). What I did was lay it down on the bumper, peel the film from one side exposing only half of the guard. Line it up and sit it down on the bumper. You then start peeling more and more off exposing the guard to the bumper. I found it very easy to do this.. Once it's on the bumper, remove the top film and then use the scraper to flatten and remove any air bubbles.

Piece of cake..

I have the bumper guard and installed it myself. I actually didn't find it tedious.. I did it myself in about 2 minutes.

The bumper guard has a film on the bottom and top of it and the film is bigger then the guard. When you get the guard, you will see that the cutout of the film is the exact shape/design of the bumper (the side that is closest to the rear hatch/door). What I did was lay it down on the bumper, peel the film from one side exposing only half of the guard. Line it up and sit it down on the bumper. You then start peeling more and more off exposing the guard to the bumper. I found it very easy to do this.. Once it's on the bumper, remove the top film and then use the scraper to flatten and remove any air bubbles.

Piece of cake..

That's what I did, but it pulled it in one direction by 1/16 of an inch...and once the 1 side is started down, there's no way to correct it.

Have both. I installed the splash guards without actually drilling the last screw that it recommends, so I didn't have to remove the wheels. They don't really add any extra stability to them. I also have the bumper protector. Its a very tedious installation, and mine ended up being off by about 1/16" inch because it pulled itself during installation.

I got my items from www.partscheap.com too.

I am installing the splash guards today w/o the additional drilled holes. Fingers crossed.

The bumper guard is what make me nervous but I'm ready to give a try.

Thinking of putting guards on mine. Do you need to have a special tool so you can install it without removing the wheels?

Thanks!

Thinking of putting guards on mine. Do you need to have a special tool so you can install it without removing the wheels?

Thanks!

You just need something thin (like a pick) to get the plastic anchors out. The center slides out, and then the anchor comes out after that.

Thanks!

If you are not drilling the extra hole per the instructions, a short screwdriver works here. My issue was the screw just turned w/o backing out. On the rear you can reach behind and squeeze the wings together to make it grab but the fronts I had to destroy 2 of them in the front to remove.

LOVE the way the splash guards look!

Is it possible to post pictures of bumper protector and the splash guards? Just curious to see how they look before I decide to purchase. Thanks.

I actually installed the clear bra type rear protector.

I don't see the big concern over installing the bumper protector but it is something that requires patience.

If I may, after you clean it thoroughly with alcohol to make a good bond, get the protector positioned. Once you have it positioned, use blue painters tape at the center and one side to hold it in place, then carefully and slowly lift up one side and pull back the tape and apply the protector from the middle outward to make sure you don't shift it. Works like a charm!

I drilled the fronts Ford splash guards by just turning the wheels.
Drilled the backs without removing the wheels by marking the new hole location with a pushpin through the plastic and drilling from the rear.

I must admit that I am not really pleased with the fit of the fronts. Maybe I need to do some adjusting but they dont seem to match the plastic body moulding close enough for my liking. The rears fit much better.

Bumper cover looks great, need to order one now! Thanks for the info.

just installed the protector (very easy) it looks great against the bronze color

I got a rear bumper cover and bugshield from them.

Bumper cover went on easy, but I was left with a half dozen small bubbles that I couldn't get out. (Don't really care as it isn't overly noticeable against the Kona Blue)

bobby take a small pin and "pop" them, they will go away after about 24hrs thats how we do vinyl bubbles

Successfully installed the rear bumper protector. :thumbsup:

Before:

photo1.jpg

After:

photo3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back