2004 Explorer Limited with 86K - to buy or not to buy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Limited with 86K - to buy or not to buy?

SegunDunt

Reaction score
Admittedly I've never owned a Ford, but I have always liked the look of the early 2000's Explorers and after driving a 2010 4.6 earlier in the year (replacement vehicle for a short time) I'm leaning towards picking up an early 2000's Explorer.

Long story short, a clean, no accident and relatively low mileage 2004 Limited has shown up at a local dealer and I've been seriously considering picking it up, but according to various review sites, the early 2000 Explorers tend to be problematic (or perhaps the volume of them sold just lends itself to a greater frequency of complaints?) and I'm weary of buying it just before major expected repairs.

Anyhow, here are the specs:

2004 Limited
4x4 - likely rarely used, but I definitely will be putting it through its paces
Condition is excellent, drives great
Compression @ ~167 or so, but it's even all around
86,000 miles
Driven in relatively warm climate (mild winder conditions, only several days per year of 33 degrees an below)
No accidents

During a test drive I noticed that the ABS light came on after the fifth of sixth engine start. The dealer took it in to a Ford dealership and apparently the code was thrown intermittently but there was nothing actually wrong with the brakes -- or so they say -- and the code has been cleared. ABS light hasn't reappeared since.

So before I make the leap, would you guys be able to weigh in on what I can expect in terms of maintenance for this truck? It's approaching 100k, and I'd sure like to know if right around 86-100k there are typical issues that need addressing.

Also, any advice that you guys might have for testing this thing, any noises to watch out for (I seem to notice a relatively quiet hum from the rear, sort of like the fuel pump is perpetually making noise, while driving), etc.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought my 04 in october with 94k on it and i do have the abs light on and my 4x4 high light flashes but those are the only 2 problems with the truck. im almost at 110k now and all i had to replace is the belt tensioner and the belt. its a good running truck and hasent given me any major problems. (knock on wood)

Sounds like it has rear wheel bearing/ rear pinion noise which can can get very expensive. I would definitely want that fixed before i bought it.

I bought a 04 XLT last summer with 100,000 mile. I am now reaching about 120,000 and i have had no problems at all. its been great, the only thing i had to do is replace the fuel filter and that was about $20 to get the filter and get it put on. My boyfriend installed a aftermarker touch screen CD player and a system. Mine runs with no problems! If the price is right i say go for it, their great SUV's!!!!! hopes this help a little!!

I was 17 years old my first explorer was a 95' sport. Bought it for $900 put two new heads on it cause one seized up. It was a five speed so I had to replace the clutch too not that bigga deal. Had her for two after 350k+ finally s**t the bed on me. Now I am 21 I have a 2003 XLT 4.0L 4X4 with 145k on her bought her for $6k and I am loving the hell out of it. I would have to say it hauls ass, pulls a 16ft with three four wheelers, hauls my g/f our two kids a one and two year old, and a black doberman. Best buy I could have made. Now I'm looking to do a little nods here and there to her.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Upon an extended test drive, I noticed two things that stand out, but I don't know if they're normal operating characteristics of this vehicle:

- now and then a hard shift into a gear if vehicle travels slow, then gas is applied slightly. Other than that shifting is very smooth.
- slight vibration felt in steering wheel when traveling at 70mph - 85mph (didn't go beyond that yet). This could be an alignment issue, perhaps. Below 70mph it's a very smooth ride.

Thanks!

- slight vibration felt in steering wheel when traveling at 70mph - 85mph (didn't go beyond that yet). This could be an alignment issue, perhaps. Below 70mph it's a very smooth ride.Thanks!

Got the same truck '04, V8, AWD, 88k. Vibrations, same problem, almost exact but my vib changes depending on the road @80mph. Still checking it out, but i'm thinking now its the struts that are worn out. Oh, 20k on new tires w/alignment, rebalanced twice etc.

Only big issue was the trans at 50k. . .rebuild is going strong; Battery and Alternator my guess is the kids watching movies took them out imo; and wheel bearings of course.

On the ABS light if its intermittent, for me that was the master cyl switch; Rear ABS sensor failure would come on and stay on. You can pull codes for that.

I'd buy it again.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Upon an extended test drive, I noticed two things that stand out, but I don't know if they're normal operating characteristics of this vehicle:

- now and then a hard shift into a gear if vehicle travels slow, then gas is applied slightly. Other than that shifting is very smooth.
- slight vibration felt in steering wheel when traveling at 70mph - 85mph (didn't go beyond that yet). This could be an alignment issue, perhaps. Below 70mph it's a very smooth ride.

Thanks!

Ok I am about to jinx myself here. As far as I know nothing on my X has been changed! At 142k I changed the original spark plugs. I know the X's have a bad rep on there trannies and rearends. But at 145k my baby drives like brand new no bragging lol.

So I bit the bullet and bought the truck today :)

Now the haze has to wear off so I'm able to think/walk straight again :) It's a wonderful vehicle, so far, and definitely rides smoother than my Cherokee ever did and my friends Tahoe does.

see if the transmission has been replaced. if not, its about to go

Trans goes bad in about every explorer at some time especially if it is 5R series of transmissions.

Trans goes bad in about every explorer at some time especially if it is 5R series of transmissions.

What is the mileage? When it goes I'm at 145k

goodluck with the purchase...hope you like the truck :thumbsup:

i bought a 04 xlt v8 brand new. I have had alot of issues and I am too lazy to type now.

But all the common issues i have had. This forum is a great place to be and helped me fix them as I like to work on my own stuff when I can.

My ex is great in the snow, has power and is quiet and smooth.

keep us updated. How much you get it for?

Ok, so a week or so in after buying the truck and I'm pretty stoked on it.

The ride is incredible compared to an ML class Benz and definitely a cut above anything by Jeep (not to harp on Jeep's, they're great at what they do, but definitely not smooth on the pavement).

I've noticed that while downshifting when going up a hill the tranny clangs into the lower gear. This isn't good, but I'll be bringing it up with the dealer (they offer a 30-day drivetrain warranty).

Other than that is the issue that came with the truck and that being a bad heated seat switch. It stays on all the time no matter how many times you click it. Speaking of heated seats, is there a fuse for the heated seats that can be removed until heated seats are needed in the winter months, or do I have to get under the seat and remove the electrical connection to the faulty switch (don't need to replace it, just need to disconnect it for now).

Speaking of heated seats, is there a fuse for the heated seats that can be removed until heated seats are needed in the winter months, or do I have to get under the seat and remove the electrical connection to the faulty switch (don't need to replace it, just need to disconnect it for now).

If power seats, you might be able to raise it enough to get out to the plug. Or I just pulled the whole panel. Two screws on the bottom of the cover; pull the Recline handle, Lumber knob; Remove the 2 screws for the lumbar support; pull bottom out a little and lift up to un-hook the top part.

It should come off easy, don't force it and beak it as they cost $30. . . don't ask :(

Back