Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

11Limited

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I noticed someone else mentioned that the Hancock tires are junk for snow conditions.

I'm considering buying a set of winter tires and finding a set of rims. Generally I can find tires competitively priced but what about steel wheels.

Where is the best place to buy those from. (20")

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed someone else mentioned that the Hancock tires are junk for snow conditions.

I'm considering buying a set of winter tires and finding a set of rims. Generally I can find tires competitively priced but what about steel wheels.

Where is the best place to buy those from. (20")

Tire Rack. You can actually get alloys through them for a decent price too...but the sensors are the expensive part regardless of steel or alloys.

I had already looked at Tirerack but don't see any 20" x8.5" steel wheels.

And yes I forgot about the damn sensors

The Police Interceptor Utility (Explorer) will be sold with 5 spoke black steel 18" wheels. Not the ones currently shown on the Ford Police Interceptor website now.

They look similar to what's on the Dodge Charger Police vehicle now, check out the Dodge site to see the style.

Should be inexpensive and available Q1 2012 when production starts.

They are high quality as they are required to pass a 30MPH curb strike head on.

Has anyone run winter tires and aftermarket wheels during last winter? I'm considering minus size wheels, down to 17 inch or 18 inch, from the stock 20 inch wheels on my Explorer 2011 Limited.

Thanks, TOm

Has anyone run winter tires and aftermarket wheels during last winter? I'm considering minus size wheels, down to 17 inch or 18 inch, from the stock 20 inch wheels on my Explorer 2011 Limited.

Thanks, TOm

I just bought a set of Painted 17" Edge Wheels off of Ebay for $425. I need to buy TPMS and still order my Blizzaks, but I'm having a hard time deciding where I should purchase the TPMS Sensors from......

How do the wheels fit?

I just bought a set of Painted 17" Edge Wheels off of Ebay for $425. I need to buy TPMS and still order my Blizzaks, but I'm having a hard time deciding where I should purchase the TPMS Sensors from......

Could you tell us what year Edge the wheels came off of? From what I've researched the 2007-2010 Edge has a slightly larger (than the 2011-2012 Explorer) center bore diameter. Which should not be a problem fitting onto the Explorer, the load is carried on the lug bolts and if it's snug on them then the wheel should sit properly and not be "out of wack". Also I think the 2011 Edge has the same size center bore as the new Explorers. But can't find any info to confirm. Dealers don't seem to know and Ford customer service would not provide engineering details.

I've bought some TPMS for the Explorer from ebay, got a great deal. There are lots for sale.

Thanks, Jeff

JustB_Rad, you around?

Could you tell us what year Edge the wheels came off of? From what I've researched the 2007-2010 Edge has a slightly larger (than the 2011-2012 Explorer) center bore diameter. Which should not be a problem fitting onto the Explorer, the load is carried on the lug bolts and if it's snug on them then the wheel should sit properly and not be "out of wack". Also I think the 2011 Edge has the same size center bore as the new Explorers. But can't find any info to confirm. Dealers don't seem to know and Ford customer service would not provide engineering details.

I've bought some TPMS for the Explorer from ebay, got a great deal. There are lots for sale.

Thanks, Jeff

Sorry to be a pain, just wanted to bump this back to the main page in hopes that JustB_Rad will see it and maybe respond. Winter is coming and knowing which year Edge wheels fit on the Explorer would be really helpful.

Sorry to be a pain, just wanted to bump this back to the main page in hopes that JustB_Rad will see it and maybe respond. Winter is coming and knowing which year Edge wheels fit on the Explorer would be really helpful.

I'm not sure which year they came off of, but they have the same size center cap. Had my Blizzaks and TPMS from tirerack.com mounted last week. Think my grand total came to right around $1200 for the entire set-up. Sorry for the delay, I travel for work and when I'm on the road, I don't get onto the forums as much as I'd like.

I'm not sure which year they came off of, but they have the same size center cap. Had my Blizzaks and TPMS from tirerack.com mounted last week. Think my grand total came to right around $1200 for the entire set-up. Sorry for the delay, I travel for work and when I'm on the road, I don't get onto the forums as much as I'd like.
Here is what I also posted on the thread Winter Package Promo;
I just had the 17" steel wheels/tires installed for Winter. I also ordered the base model wheel covers. Guess what? The lug nuts from the 20" wheels will not hold the covers in place. :( The nuts require a washer type flange in order to hold the wheel cover on. The lug nuts for the 20" and I assume 18" OEM wheels will not work in this case. They will work fine to hold the wheel itself. The proper nuts are $14.28 each X 20. The parts manager offered to reimburse me for the covers or take the tax off the cost of the lugnuts ($37). I decided to go ahead with the covers. The other thing is that the lug nuts have to be ordered from Edmonton. None in Toronto.
Guess I'll be going back for another free coffee at the dealership in a week or so. :p:

Peter

Thanks, Jeff

Mind posting a link to an example, every one of the ones I could find said they were not compatiable with the 2011 Explorer.

I was actually looking for a link to which tpms as the ones I found say they will not work on the 11 explorer. Those rims you linked though were $125 each, you can get alum ones for $99 from tirerack

I was actually looking for a link to which tpms as the ones I found say they will not work on the 11 explorer. Those rims you linked though were $125 each, you can get alum ones for $99 from tirerack

I just found a link to the wheels to show you which ones I purchased. I got an entire set for $425 2 months ago. I bought my TPMS (33Mhz) through Tire Rack. I don't have the tires on yet, so I haven't tested them out to see if they work yet, but they should. Call your dealer, they can run your VIN and tell you which frequency your TPMS are so you can match it. Only 2011/2012 Edge wheels WITH TPMS have a chance to work on your X, because before that, they were Banded sensors, not Valve Stem.

I'm picking up my Ex Limited on Friday, and my current understanding is that I'll either get the free winter tire package or Costco. I suspect keeping the $1,000 from Costco is better.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to Winter tires/wheels, better yet where they are on special so I can use the Ford Canada "won't be beat on price" Winter tire event to perhaps get a better deal?

im not sure if this will work for you, but have you tried online? i got a great deal on my tires with free shipping and no tax on treaddepot.com.

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's are fantastic in the snow and on an ice covered road. Finally got to test mine out 2 weeks ago. It is the best money I've ever spent!

I'm picking up my Ex Limited on Friday, and my current understanding is that I'll either get the free winter tire package or Costco. I suspect keeping the $1,000 from Costco is better.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to Winter tires/wheels, better yet where they are on special so I can use the Ford Canada "won't be beat on price" Winter tire event to perhaps get a better deal?
I got the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom SKI (245/65R17) at the dealer for $169.45. Same tire at Canadian Tire was listed at $206. Put them on the base model 17" steel wheels. They stored my OEM 20" wheels for $30. The whole package, wheels, tires, TPMS, wheel cover and special lugnuts, balancing, installation, including tax came to arouns $2000. I could have gone without the covers, lugnuts and sensors and saved around $700 including tax but it's only money and I was told I can't take it with me. :D
I also did not know that the parent company of BFG is Michelin. One video review I saw on this tire said it was just one level below the Michelin X-Ice. I also always check www.1010tire.com (a Canadian Site) for customer reviews on various tires. chimoman in N.B. has the same setup.
NOTE: The lugnuts on the OEM 20" wheels will hold the 17" wheels on but not the wheel covers. They require lugnuts with a washer type flange to hold them on.

Attachments

• PB050253a.jpg
    PB050253a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,301
  • PC040274a.jpg
    PC040274a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,066

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm - are Ford Edge wheels interchangeable with Explorer?

Back