• Register Today It's free!

Tires

cobrasvt

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Time to replace all 4 tires P255/70R16 . Which brands do all of you find are the better make/model?

Purchased truck with firestones, that were recalled and replaced with goodyears, hated them. Then purchased Michelin Cross Terrain® SUV tires. They seemed fine to me, with the exception of some cracks on sidewalls lately, had them for 6 years 45,000 miles. I do not off road. Now mechanic says they wouldn't pass inspection. He recommended Firestone or Yokohama tires.

Im looking online, doing some research and Michelins website says: "1995-2001-Manufacturer requires replacement tires are of the same exact size, type, load capacity, and tread design (i.e.All Terrain) as originally offered by manufacturer. Do not use high performance or larger size tires. Do not use P255/70R16 "All Season" tires. All Terrain tires are acceptable.
For vehicles equipped with P255/70R16 size only, these are acceptable P255/70R16 All Terrain replacement tires:
Michelin
LTX AT2 109S 39825"
Why might they only recommend All Terrain tires?

BJ's is recommending Michelin X-Radial LT2 or Michelin LTX M/S or BF Goodrich Com Trail T/A Tour

Im getting lost in information. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same scenario...Original Firestones were replaced with Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's. By far the worst tire I have ever experienced on car or truck.

I replaced them with Goodyear Fortera Triple treads and could not be happier with the performance. The truck is primarily an on road truck with very little off roading. The biggest thing that impressed me was wheeling through 18" of snow when the tires were 90% worn. Still fantastic traction. I bought a second set. Rain, snow, ice, dry...they carry the family anywhere anytime and can handle at least a little dirt.

If I went further off road, I would do the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour. I had those on my F-150. Not as good in the rain as the Triple Treads, but better off road and ride nicer too with the Kevlar cords. Very quiet and smooth tire for a faily aggressive tread pattern.

I just put the Michelin's on and couldn't be happier. Much better / quieter ride, very neutral steering, truck tracks straight down the road, super nice on the highway.

The reviews on TireRack put them up at a 9.6 out of 10, and now I know why!!!

I've had the Michelins for about a year now...happy :D

Wow, such few replies. Thank you to those that did reply. Is there another thread on this already, I looked a bit but there are so many pages to scan? I know its just tires, but for what they cost and how long they should last I just want to spend my money right. For those that did pick Michelin's, which model did you go with?

Why might they only recommend All Terrain tires?

Because the "All Terrain" tires have an extra layer in composition. Lack of that layer, combined with poor quality control at Decatur, Il plant lead to the whole Firestorne-Ford fiasco. That layer helps with the recomended lower pressure (it was 28 initially in 1990, now is 30PSI). That low pressure is driven by roll-over safety considerents.
That's why tire manufactures strongly recomend to use All Terain tires. If you install anyting else and you have a problem, they might be not liable since they advised agains them.

Wow, such few replies. Thank you to those that did reply. Is there another thread on this already, I looked a bit but there are so many pages to scan? I know its just tires, but for what they cost and how long they should last I just want to spend my money right. For those that did pick Michelin's, which model did you go with?

I think for the most part, people who have no experience with the brands you mentioned are not going to have any advice to share about those tires.

My car came with Kuhmo Solus tires and they seem fine, but I'll likely replace them in the fall with some Michelins or Firestones.

for me, the choice was between Firestone Destination A/T and Goodyear Silent Armor A/T

I went with Goodyear and have been happy with it. It has road manners and has traction in sand and snow. Don't take it in the mud though.

I think for the most part, people who have no experience with the brands you mentioned are not going to have any advice to share about those tires.

My car came with Kuhmo Solus tires and they seem fine, but I'll likely replace them in the fall with some Michelins or Firestones.

Oh, Im open to all brands. THose were just some I was looking at.

Anyone use Yokohamma tires have any reviews on them?

I dont know if I'd trust firestone again after that huge debacle they had.

I just put the Michelin's on and couldn't be happier. Much better / quieter ride, very neutral steering, truck tracks straight down the road, super nice on the highway.

The reviews on TireRack put them up at a 9.6 out of 10, and now I know why!!!

I've had the Michelins for about a year now...happy :D

Which model Michelins did you get?

My '97 now has almost 280K miles and I've had 2 sets of Firestones and now on the 3rd set of Michelins. The tire you want is the Michelin LTX series. I had the AT version, which was much better than the Firestones, but the LTX M/S is the better match for the Explorer. They ride well and quietly, they have amazing traction in mud, snow, or wherever, and the wear like iron! The last set I had went 90K miles and the set I have now is already at 50K and still look almost new. These are fantastic tires.

=Vic=

I have run Michelin LTX M&S on my B11, 94XLT and now on my 00XLT. I gotten 90-102K on these. Best of rotated every 5,000 miles. I have ran the X-Radial from BJ'S, only got 80k from them. I understand LTX M&S wil be replaced with LTX M2. LTX is great Highway tire (65-80mph) and I have run in some heavy snow with no problem.

Seems like i'm making this a long thread but I don't really have the money to shell out for these right now but I dont want to get screwed in the long run. I had a bad experience with driving on goodyears and I know what its like riding on a ****ty tire.
As far as Michelins go the LTX series is now second generation LTX M/S2 and LTX AT2, and X Radial LT2.
So after a few stops today here is what I was told.
-The three places I went to today suggested the Firestone Destination LE, saying its a superior tire and is great traction on roads, rain, snow.
-One place said Michelins a good tire but you pay through the nose for them and usually once 5-6 year mark hits the Michelin start spiderweb cracking, Firstones dont.
I was set on getting the firestones today but now just read tireracks review and Michelins are rated much better.
Im not sure if Im over that firstone recall years ago, left a bad taste in my mouth on them but they are getting reccomended by by retailers.

So I guess Im down to the Firestone Destination LE ($156per tire), or Michelin X Radial LT2 ($170per tire) or LTX M/S2 ($192per tire) Lattitude Tour ($195 per tire).

THoughts /Comments?

Wish I didn't have trouble making decisions lol. Bring back my Michelin CrossTerrains!

I have used bfg at's on my X. I have had them on for almost five years now, work great on and off the pavement. will be replacing them soon with another set of bfg at's as soon as bfg puts them back into production this month. Have you looked up tires on Discount Tire Direct? Good Luck with your tire search

Finally made the purchase. I went with the most raved about tire the Michelin LTX M/S2. Was able to save $70 at BJ's and they have a great road hazard plan 36,000 miles or 3 years free. So far they feel great. Thanks for all the input.

Am I the only one on here who has there new tires turning brown?

Finally made the purchase. I went with the most raved about tire the Michelin LTX M/S2. Was able to save $70 at BJ's and they have a great road hazard plan 36,000 miles or 3 years free. So far they feel great. Thanks for all the input.

I've had the same tire for about a year and you made a great choice. Quiet on the highway and 70,000 mile warranty. I've had mine since 10/2010 and put about 24000 miles on them and you can hardly tell they have been used at all. Keep them rotated and inflated and make sure your alignment is good and you'll get 100k out of them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back