How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much gas left after the gauge says 0 miles??

donm527

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
My car says 3 miles of gas left...

Unlike old fashioned needle gauges, I'm guessing these electronic gauges won't dip below the 'E' for another 10 miles :) And on some cars like my Z06, when it says its on reserve, you better believe it and only have minutes worth of gas.

So wondering if people have kept driving after the gauge says zero miles left and how many miles, if any, we do have left when it says zero.

Thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go for it!! Let us know the results. LOL

Actually I hit 0 and I drove another ONE MILE to my Chevron station :)

So we all know now it's got at least another mile.

Who's gonna push it to TWO? ;)

Go for it!! Let us know the results. LOL

I'm am just so glade that it does go down to zero!

For those times I'm not paying attention and look down, I hate it when my other vehicles just read "low fuel". Don't know if I have 30 or 1 mile to empty!

Next time somebody fills up at zero, pay attention to how many gallons put in and determine how many gallons were remaining. On our Freestar, we have 2+ gallons remaining (36 miles)... on our Fusion, we have less than 0.5 gallons (7 miles).

The first time I drove it on a roadtrip, I got 397 Miles out of my tank, it told me I was under 10 miles, and I put in 18.2 gallons of gas. So by what the book says, there was around a 1/2 gallon left for me with 10 miles to go, which would put it right on the nuts....I don't think I'll push it much farther than 0.

I've driven over a 100 miles when on "E". No problem.

Just a heads up.Running your tank close to empty could possibly damage your fuel pump.The fuel lubricates and cools the electric pump.This has been documented in several articles.The cost of repair varies from $300 to $600.I would advise anyone to research this, before you push it to the limit.

I always fill up once I get below the 1/4 full range.
I don't understand why people would let the fuel level drop below from the reserve.
You must not have a wife who likes to push it as close to 0 as possible so that you have to fill it up when you get in to drive it. hahahaha

You must not have a wife who likes to push it as close to 0 as possible so that you have to fill it up when you get in to drive it. hahahaha

that is true and does happen, but is does not change the fact that I don;t understand why people let the fuel level drop so low.

as an above poster mentioned, some fuel pumps relay on fuel for cooling, so why even risk fuel pump damage by running low levels?

that is true and does happen, but is does not change the fact that I don;t understand why people let the fuel level drop so low.

as an above poster mentioned, some fuel pumps relay on fuel for cooling, so why even risk fuel pump damage by running low levels?

I hate stopping for gas...that 5 minuites is the second biggest waste of 5 minuites of my week....only 2nd to shaving!

I hate stopping for gas...that 5 minuites is the second biggest waste of 5 minuites of my week....only 2nd to shaving!

TWO WORDS.... electric shaver

I don't like to run it down to empty myself but sometimes you find yourself near the end and it happens and good to know though how accurate the gas gauge is and if there is any reserve left after zero.

if you do find yourself near zero, it could be the diff between having to get gas in an area you may not be familiar with or comfortable with... or having a little more reserve to find a better place for gas.

Just a heads up.Running your tank close to empty could possibly damage your fuel pump.The fuel lubricates and cools the electric pump.This has been documented in several articles.The cost of repair varies from $300 to $600.I would advise anyone to research this, before you push it to the limit.

I've driven over a 100 miles when on "E". No problem.
:dunno: Really? Or was that a joke without a smiley?

I filled up for the second time last night when the "miles to empty" said 30 or so, and I added 17.1 to the tank. That would be consistent with JustB_Rad

you beat me to it. its awsome when a car gets towed in for running out of gas and burns the pump out at the same time

I have been filling mine up once a week when I've used approx. 27-29 litres (6-7 imp. gallons). With the price here hitting 1.34/litre ($6.08/gal) last week and now dropping to 1.23/litre ($5.54/gal), it doesn't hurt as much, visibly, as having to fill a near empty tank.;) Running it near empty is not a good idea.

The fuel lubricates and cools the electric pump.

I agree with the cooling aspect, but not the lubrication part. What possible lubrication properties could the fuel have with 10% alcohol?

I agree with the cooling aspect, but not the lubrication part. What possible lubrication properties could the fuel have with 10% alcohol?

Gasoline is a petroleum based product,oil,therefore it has lubrication properties.Water in itself can act as a lube in certain situations.Didn't you ever spit on something to reduce friction .I won't argue the point ,it is not my fuel pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My EX showed "0" to empty and it took 15.24 gallons to fill. So with a 18.1 gallon tank, I should have had 2.86 gallons left. Hope this helps!

Back