Squeaking / Squealing Brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking / Squealing Brakes

dave1946

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer
I got my Limited at the end of March. It has about 5,000 miles on it. When I'm going slow like at a drive-thru window and apply the brakes, they squeal. It doesn't happen if I'm driving at regular speeds and brake. Any ideas about the squeal. I can't believe that the brakes are going bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE: Brake squeal

I thaught I was going crazy and now imagining issues with my explorer, but mine is doing the same thing and my dealer sees nothing wrong with the brakes/drums.

If anyone knows why this is happening, I would love to know as well

I get it now & then, I drive a Ford LN8000 gravel truck at work & they do the same thing when dry & dusty, a little rain & they are good to go for a week or so, probly the same deal on the EX.

I can't believe that the brakes are going bad.
They likely aren't. Disc brakes can make noise. Has your stopping power decreased?

If it really bothers you, take it to someone and have them look at it. I'm guesing they will put some high temp lube on the caliper side of the pad and it may fix you up.

But I'd bet it's not something that will be called a warranty repair.

Sounds like you got brakes hot.Do alot of city driving? That will do it.
Return to dealer,they will probably resurface rotors.

I own a 10 bay Auto Service Center in PA. In the business, we say customer "smoked em".
Every brake & rotor job I do comes with an explanation on bill to go easy on brakes until pads "seated".Normally seat in a day or 2.

I got my Limited the end of March also. It has around 2,200 miles and I also have the brake squeal when barely moving such as parking. It seems to be more noticeable when the wheels are cut to turn into a parking space. Has anyone gone to the dealer for this?

I got my Limited at the end of March. It has about 5,000 miles on it. When I'm going slow like at a drive-thru window and apply the brakes, they squeal. It doesn't happen if I'm driving at regular speeds and brake. Any ideas about the squeal. I can't believe that the brakes are going bad.
I would want a noise like this resolved as well with only 5,000 miles. Have you had a chance to take it to your dealer yet? If you’d like help with having this looked into, please feel free to send me a message. Don’t forget to include your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can help!

Cory

I thaught I was going crazy and now imagining issues with my explorer, but mine is doing the same thing and my dealer sees nothing wrong with the brakes/drums.

If anyone knows why this is happening, I would love to know as well
I posted on another thread offering my assistance but I wanted to reach out here as well. Please don’t hesitate to message me for any help with concerns such as these. My post above includes the details I'll need in order to do this.

Cory

I got my Limited the end of March also. It has around 2,200 miles and I also have the brake squeal when barely moving such as parking. It seems to be more noticeable when the wheels are cut to turn into a parking space. Has anyone gone to the dealer for this?
If you feel like you would benefit from my help with getting this noise looked at, please let me know. Again, don’t forget to include the information on your Explorer that I mentioned above if you do decide to message me!

Cory

Its highly unlikely your brakes are "going bad". If your brakes were going bad, you would notice them during normal braking also, not just creeping along at drive-thru window speeds. It could be dirty brakes or just normal noise from the harder brake compounds being used these days.

I have noticed the brakes squeak only once and that's it. Probably not an issue to be concerned about because brakes do tend to squeak as they get a bit older.

The noises I would hear is a rough grinding type noise when I first reverse the car out of my driveway and brake and then after braking 2 -3 times, it'll disappear. These rotors tend to rust a lot compared to previous rotors I have had. I would think all these issues are normal though because the brakes stop this 5k lb car so quickly.

My limited does this on a regular basis as well. I have about 6,000 miles on it and it has been doing it for at least 2000 miles.

I refuse to allow the dealer to turn the rotors as suggested. Why should I allow them to decrease the life of them???

I am really getting frustrated with all the things going wrong with this thing. I think someone should be fired for letting this thing get released with all the bugs, especially the MFT.

This is the first Ford I've purchased in 20 years, and most likely my last.

Squeaking brakes

Only about 2,500 miles on my XLT. The (front-) brakes squeak really bad at slow speeds. Typically in stop and go traffic. Very embarrassing for a new car. Anyone else?

+1 ... been happening since 2000 miles for me
I figured I'd make em check em at my first oil change in a couple of weeks.

Check out the thread a few days earlier on brake squeal.

The car was at the dealer this week and I asked them to check for brake squeal. They said they could not replicate it. Of course. It's always like this. It's going to be one of those issues that never gets fixed and will drive me nuts.
It's happening regardless of cold or hot brakes. It just does. Or not. Totally random but seriously embarrassing. I have people look at me and I can see them thinking "WTF is wrong with that brand new Ford? My Toyota doesn't do that!"

3,500 miles on mine and it started this past week. Can do it everytime, just have to be at a creeping speed, like pulling into a garage speed.

I have 1000km (625 miles) and I've started hearing some noises from the brakes as well... hopefully doesn't turn into squeeking like you fellas.

Wish me luck! haha

Mine started squealing, then grinding around 2,000 miles, only a slow speeds, only half the time, etc. i took it into a dealer on a saturday and left it, they couldnt replicate, so i went back during the week and had the master mechanic ride with me so i could replicate it myself. they had a large parking lot in a strip mall next door, so i rode around slowly and got it to happen while he was with me. he said they they noticed a lot of debris in the brake rotor, so they cleaned it and then re-machined the front brake rotors. this was a couple of weeks ago and i have not noticed it again since then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i replied to the newer thread regarding brake squeal/grinding, thought i would copy it here too:
Mine started squealing, then grinding around 2,000 miles, only a slow speeds, only half the time, etc. i took it into a dealer on a saturday and left it, they couldnt replicate, so i went back during the week and had the master mechanic ride with me so i could replicate it myself. they had a large parking lot in a strip mall next door, so i rode around slowly and got it to happen while he was with me. he said they they noticed a lot of debris in the brake rotor, so they cleaned it and then re-machined the front brake rotors. this was a couple of weeks ago and i have not noticed it again since then.

Back