Crusie Control not working.recall done, all fuses good | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crusie Control not working.recall done, all fuses good

cmorgan

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello I have searched through the first 2 pages of search results and have not found anything to help. (i am still looking)

1996 Explorer 4.0 with a 5 speed manual.
When i am driving and hit the cruise "set" button the light on the dash comes on and stays on but will not hold speed.
The horn works, abs works and there are no check engine lights.

Thanks to this board ( and thanks for this board), i used the search function and here are the things i have done so far.

I checked the fuse in the power distribution box and the one in the fuse panel, no corrosion, not blown. But, I replaced them anyways just to make sure.

I also checked the cable from the cruise unit on the passenger side to the throttle body and it is in very good shape.

All the brake lights work including the third light

Still nothing.

Any ideas? Or maybe a link to trouble shooting section of a manual or another post?

Thanks for any help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the actuator isn't opening the throttle. If the light comes on, the system is working but may not be actually pulling on the cable to open the TB.

Sounds like the actuator isn't opening the throttle. If the light comes on, the system is working but may not be actually pulling on the cable to open the TB.

I just got back from a road test and noticed on a slight downhill when i press the "Set" button you can feel a slight acceleration once or twice then nothing.

Another question, when you press the clutch pedal should the cruise light go out?

Yes, pressing the clutch deactivates the CC and the light should go out.

EE

Yes, pressing the clutch deactivates the CC and the light should go out.

EE

Pushing the clutch in does not turn the light off.

do you know if the switch is inside attached to the pedal or is there one outside on the transmission?

Thanks

Pushing the clutch pedal in does turn the cruise light off.

to help examine this better...

I put the explorer up on 4 jackstands and removed the rear tires (put the lug nuts back on , to make sure nothing flew off). This way i can test the cruise without the 10 min trip through the neighborhood.

I press the gas pedal until the speedo reads 40 mph. When i press the "set" button the cruise light comes on and the servo clicks and locks in place. But it it wont hold the speed or increase the speed.

I think if you do some more searching you will find a posting that tells you how to put the controller thru a diagnostic which will "flash" codes to indicate any issues that the controller sees.

I think if you do some more searching you will find a posting that tells you how to put the controller thru a diagnostic which will "flash" codes to indicate any issues that the controller sees.

I found 2 posts with the diagnostic chart (hold the cruise off button and turn the key to the on position and the cruise light should flash). I dont think it works for my 96. I did try it and nothing happened.

I now realize why people get pissed about people not using the search function and starting the new threads. There must be 30 different posts about "my cruise light flashes once and goes off" etc... over 140 posts with cruise control in the title and 97% of them are the same questions...

But so far with the help of this forum i fixed the third tail light, blower with only high speed and the ac and heat only blew out defrost and thanks to this board in about 2 mins i found a vacum line broken .

So thanks for any help any of you may have!!!!

sounds like you MAY have a bad controller.... BUT the only other thing left is the speed sensor (or associated wiring) which the controller reads to "understand" how fast it "thinks" you are going.

Lastly... recheck the cable to make sure there is LITTLE/NO slack on the retainer and resulting linkage to the throttle.

sounds like you MAY have a bad controller.... BUT the only other thing left is the speed sensor (or associated wiring) which the controller reads to "understand" how fast it "thinks" you are going.

Lastly... recheck the cable to make sure there is LITTLE/NO slack on the retainer and resulting linkage to the throttle.

Thanks for you help.

I double checked the cable and linkage and everything looks good and snug.
Do you know if the cruise uses the speedo sensor mounted in the back of the transfer case? or is there a separate sensor for it?

Check the TPS

Same problem......new TPS fixed it

I have a 96 4 liter auto.I understand that the cruise gets it's info off the rear speed sensor.My sensor is on the top of rearend.I don't know if yours is in the same place being it's a standard.I would check it out.My rear speed sensor was cheap from Rock Auto [$17].Hope this helps.Good luck.

Back