2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just realized I have colder plugs on the truck with a .033 gap... So, I picked up a set of Autolite XP104 spark plugs to replace them with.

Also looking into maybe picking up a 1" upper intake spacer (not sure where to find one though).

Some more details on the car not previously listed in the thread:

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0L XLT AWD w/120k miles

- 5.0 Engine w/ GT40p heads and intake
- 4W70 transmission
- 3.73 gears & AWD
- 80mm lightning MAF
- 39lb Cobra injectors
- Walbro GSS342 255L fuel pump
- SCT Xcalibrator 3 Tuned by James Henson of Henson Performance

The exhaust manifold has a broken bolt and is therefore leaking pretty badly.

So far, what I have done, is:

- Replaced both front hub assemblies
- Replace all rotors with slotted and cross drilled and zinc coated rotors and ceramic brake pads
- Synthetic Mobile 1 oil
- Synthetic transfer case and differential fluids
- New Motorcraft spark plug wires
- Replaced broken drivers side door handle

To do (not in any order):

- Replace transmission fluid with some synthetic
- Replace spark plugs with Autolite XP104 spark plugs
- MAC cold air intake (already purchased)
- 1" trick flow Intake Manifold Spacer
- Torque Monster Headers
- Custom cat-less exhaust (still trying to figure out what custom setup off the headers would give me the best performance... suggestions??)
- Get a new high performance NA tune from Henson Performance
- Replace turbo PCV valve with stock PCV valve
- Remove rear mount turbo/IC
- Remove turbo cold side piping, WG, BoV
- Remove rear mount STS oil pump and plug oil pan
- Fix door locks (does not unlock/lock, ordered new clips)
- Replace rear wiper arm
- Replace fog lights (already have new fogs and HID match bulbs)
- Fix little odds and ends

I was thinking maybe run 2.5" off the TMHs into a dual in dual out full boar SS muffler (such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...2dAllQ2dCategoriesQ26Q5ffviQ3d1#ht_1546wt_642 ) and then 2.5" out each to 3.5" rolled and angeled tips exiting in front of each rear tire (one on each side)... Thoughts anyone???

That would work, muffler is really a preference thing, but for the pipes you want 2.5" or bigger, especially since you'll be getting a tune. Also when you call bob to order your headers make sure you get the ones with the larger collector.

That would work, muffler is really a preference thing, but for the pipes you want 2.5" or bigger, especially since you'll be getting a tune. Also when you call bob to order your headers make sure you get the ones with the larger collector.

Larger collector headers even tho I'm going NA and no longer turbo?

yeah, the more air you can pump out the exhaust the more air the motor can suck in and blow up giving you more power. The factory tune won't like a free flowing exhaust, but if James is going to write you a new tune, then the freer the better.

Awesome... Would even something like TMHs with larger collector into 3" into the X pipe style muffler (the above one but dual 3" in dual 3" out) exiting out the sides be even better without sacrificing torque down low?

Oooo and I'm hoping James will tune the truck for me lol :-D

I am sure you will have no issue having James take care of retuning your X. Just curious but what are the details of what made you go back N/A? Your first post didn't really elaborate enough for curious folks like myself I suppose. :D

BTW, good luck on the N/A build! I would love to have a modded to hell N/A 5.0 Explorer again!

You can go 3" out past the muffler if you want, but even 2.5 is going to be really tight in place of the stock cat pipes.

Ahhh... Good point.. Now to find, perhaps, a dual 2.5" in and dual 3" out muffler :-D

I am sure you will have no issue having James take care of retuning your X. Just curious but what are the details of what made you go back N/A? Your first post didn't really elaborate enough for curious folks like myself I suppose. :D

BTW, good luck on the N/A build! I would love to have a modded to hell N/A 5.0 Explorer again!

The truck was making no boost, tons of leaks, and to have all piping redone cold and hot side plus take care of the numerous turbo related issues I was quoted at around $5k... More than I want to spend at this time as I've already poured many thousands into my SVTfocus.. So I figure a solid NA build will still be enjoyable and I can get her finished much sooner :)

Well... Couldn't find a muffler I like that does the X and is 2.5" dual in and 3" dual out... So, am just going to pick up the 2.5" dual in/dual out... Should be fine :D

I plan on having all new piping ran from headers to muffler and to tails... I can't visualize the underside of the truck at the moment... but, I won't be running any cats... so, will any form of flex pipe be required off the headers?

What would be optimal and do-able set up starting from the headers would you say?

I know on my SVTf... I have the Cosworth SVT header on the car... and from there it directly connect to a 3" off-road pipe (in place of the cat).. which connects to a 3" flex pipe to prevent any kind of breakage on engine movement... which then connects to my 304SS 3" exhaust that runs all the way to out the back.

Pix (before some further tweaking):

svt1.jpg

svt3.jpg

svt4.jpg

svt5.jpg

There is no flex pipe on the explorers, the rubber mounts on some hangers is the only flex they have.

Ok... So... I can just run, directly off the TMHs... 2.5" piping and then run each pipe thru a 2.5" to 3" transition and then weld to a 3" dual in/3" dual out muffler... and then run each 3" pipe off the muffler and exit out in front of each rear tire?

Sorry for my slowness... Just trying to get the best possible setup and visualize it :D Lol.

I'm an IT guy trying to be a mechanic to some extent ;) lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back