System finally crashed...hard... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

System finally crashed...hard...

bigzaj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
MFT has been freezing, navigation has been locking up, all off and on for a bit now, I've had the updates and dealer tell me there is nothing they can do. Welp yesterday the system finally crashed, screen wont come on, audio wont come on.

Pulling battery cables no go, I'm confident that taking to the dealer can get this resolved for me, but I want to voice my frustration with Ford. I'm fed up with dealing with the issues on this car!

Aside from their customer support number, any thoughts on where I can voice my displeasure with Ford's handling of the MyTouch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds exactly like mine. My screen finally died like yours.

I took it in and about 3 days later the Dealer told me it was repaired and when I started it up it was still dead..... needless to say, I was irate.

they finally replaced the APIM and upgraded the software to version 2.8 , but some issues remain with the nav system and radio.

Ford customer service says there is nothing else they can do at this time as they have a team working on the issues and they "appreciate my patience."
:rolleyes:

Just went on a short trip to town with the family. MFT system completely froze up again, as in NOTHING works on it.

When we got home and exited the vehicle, the MFT screen and the radio STAYED ON even though we had the keys out of the ignition and had opened and shut the doors. We could NOT get the system to go off.

We went in, ate a bite, came back and the system was STILL ON! I had to disconnect the battery to turn it off.

This is my wife's vehicle. She and I are both disgusted with it. As it stands right now, it cannot be fixed.

I guess in a Ford apologist's eyes, disconnecting the battery is acceptable every so often. To me it is not. What if its raining or storming?

What if its your wife and your kids who depend on the vehicle.

What a nightmare this has been!!!!

I want Ford to buy back this piece and let us wash our hands of the entire rotten experience.

Again, it has been to the dealer several times, and they have replaced the APIM, and upgraded the software. Obviously those were not the problem.

I am gonna call my contact at Ford Customer Service again tomorrow and see if I can get something else done.

Geez. I guess when the MFT crashes it crashes hard. Sorry to hear you guys are having so many problems

I guess in a Ford apologist's eyes, disconnecting the battery is acceptable every so often. To me it is not. What if its raining or storming?
Nope - not acceptable, and it's interesting that some systems are working acceptably and others are not.

One common thread seems to be having navigation enabled. Mine does not and aside from one lockup early on before it was properly set up, has worked fine.

Do you have a bluetooth phone paired with it? If so, does the phone stay connected and keep the system alive after you shut the vehicle off?

When we got home and exited the vehicle, the MFT screen and the radio STAYED ON even though we had the keys out of the ignition and had opened and shut the doors. We could NOT get the system to go off.

We went in, ate a bite, came back and the system was STILL ON! I had to disconnect the battery to turn it off.

I had the same experience about a week ago. MFT froze up while driving. I stopped at a store and the system didn't shut down after exiting the vehicle. Came back 15 minutes later and the radio was still on, etc. Stopped at another store for 10 minutes or so and when I can back this time it had finally shut off on its own. It didn't immediately come back on when I started the vehicle again, but after 4 or 5 minutes it came to life with a System Maintenance reboot. I've since started carrying a proper sized wrench for a battery disconnect. :rolleyes:

I've had several trouble-free days though, so that's good. No NAV in my XLT, for the guy who is wondering about that.

Same problems with mine. Ford engineer working on mine today at the dealer after Cory "elevated" my issue. Hopefully, this will fx it. I hope you get "elevated" or "escalated" or whatever as well...

I want nothing more than to have a fully functional car. The four month wait from order to delivery makes it all that much worse.

My rental is a really nice Tahoe....

MFT has been freezing, navigation has been locking up, all off and on for a bit now, I've had the updates and dealer tell me there is nothing they can do. Welp yesterday the system finally crashed, screen wont come on, audio wont come on.

Pulling battery cables no go, I'm confident that taking to the dealer can get this resolved for me, but I want to voice my frustration with Ford. I'm fed up with dealing with the issues on this car!

Aside from their customer support number, any thoughts on where I can voice my displeasure with Ford's handling of the MyTouch?
I’m sorry to hear your experience with MFT hasn’t met your expectations, and I would like to offer to escalate your concern like Loganfilm recommended. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

StunnedMonkey, please send me a message if the same thing happens again and you would like me to escalate your concern.

TennesseeTider, I’d also like to have your concerns looked into further so you can finally have these issues resolved. I wanted to let you know I sent you a message with more details. Please check your inbox if you haven’t already done so.

Cory

Is it normal for these places to only have "radio techs" a few times a week?

One dealer rep said that Ford doesn't reimburse them enough to have a full time guy on hand to deal with Sync and MyTouch so they have a contract guy come twice a week. Another guy (same dealer) said that dealers have agreements with Ford to have trained guys come a few times during the week.

Which is it, I want someone who knows what they are doing...just seemed kind of strange at a dealership this size for them not to have a tech that could work on it.

I also want to say that while I really appreciate the customer service effort Ford is putting behind this issue, that no amount of customer relations will help this if Ford cannot come up with a fix for MyFord Touch equipped vehicles.

I'm not the guy to try and do a class action lawsuit or any of that crap, but I'm also kind of surprised I have not seen some consumer litigation out there regarding this issue, especially with the numbers of Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with the technology.

I also want to say that while I really appreciate the customer service effort Ford is putting behind this issue, that no amount of customer relations will help this if Ford cannot come up with a fix for MyFord Touch equipped vehicles...
Thank you for your feedback; SYNC engineering is working to fix the functionality of MFT and improve the overall experience. I regularly forward suggestions and questions to be reviewed by the In-Vehicle Technology Team. I also received your private message and sent a reply back. Please check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Back