Trailer hitch access dumb question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer hitch access dumb question

gregross

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hi,
I wanted to access the trailer hitch behind the bumper cover. I can unlock the bottom two fasteners but the cover seems latched at the top. I didn't want to just yank it off. Can anyone tell me how to do this without wrecking the cover?
Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You pretty much yank it off. There are a series of catches across the top, work from one side to the other until it comes off completely.

I had the same problem. Tug it from the sides and get the tabs out one by one. That ways, you don't have to be scared of snapping the whole thing off.

Pretty scary procedure, isn't it? I just pulled mine for the second time the other day and found myself thinking, "Please don't break. POP! Please don't break. POP! ..."

Start at one corner and gently tug it off. Easy peasy.

Start at one corner and gently tug it off. Easy peasy.

I just took mine off so I can go get my boat tomorrow. I noted when removing the cover the tabs snap toward the back of the car not straight down. It was easy after seeing how they worked.

I just took mine off so I can go get my boat tomorrow. I noted when removing the cover the tabs snap toward the back of the car not straight down. It was easy after seeing how they worked.
Yep - pull straight back.

I had the same problem but once I popped it off and saw how it worked, it's pretty easy. Has anyone modified this cover and cut out a whole for the receiver? I would like to use it with the cover on when using a bike rack.

I am thinking of ordering a second cover just for the bike rack purpose and then put the one without the cutout back on when not having the bike rack on. I will post pictures when I get it.

I've probably removed and re-installed mine 20 times with no issues breaking it. Seems to hold up pretty well so far.

Two cam buttons, turn 90 degrees and I grab the cover with both hands and pull back with pressure at the top and pop it's off

I am thinking of ordering a second cover just for the bike rack purpose and then put the one without the cutout back on when not having the bike rack on. I will post pictures when I get it.

That's a great idea! Do you have the part #, I would like to order one also!

Just ordered one... BB5Z.17F000.BA (Cap)

One extra thing I did, was to cut out a 2" x 2" notch it the top center, so I could put the cover back on while the hitch was in use, covering up all the exposed wiring and connections. keeps the rear line clean, especially if just using for a bike rack or similar.

Trop, I was not very clear there. I intend on taking the second cap and cutting the 2x2 notch for that very reason. When the bike rack is off I will put the full cap back on for a clean look.

Got it... I have not gone the step to getting a second one... and right now the car is a wreck due to systemic failure... and the car went into a pole...

Trop, I was not very clear there. I intend on taking the second cap and cutting the 2x2 notch for that very reason. When the bike rack is off I will put the full cap back on for a clean look.

Back