• Register Today It's free!

A/C problem please HELP

okxlt2003

Reaction score
City, State
Altus Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
2003 Explorer XLT 2wd 4.0 Flex vin code K. My AC is acting strange at idle or just above it blows cold air. At highway speed warm air. Low on r134? I checked that with a gage set and it appreared full about 45 psi at 97F. I did notice that when the Compressor kicked OFF the low side pressure would jump to about 75psi or higher. High side pressure 205. I swapped out AC compressors and it does the same thing. Please!! any idea would be appreciated. I changed out the orifice tube and low side pressure switch also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With all of the parts swapping have you vacuumed the system down and recharged with the proper amount of oil and refrigerant?

Yes, accumulator, oriffice tube, compressor and low pressure switch replaced. System vaccumed down to -30 and seviced. No improvment from before I started. Cool or cold at idle, warms up at highway speed.

Yes, accumulator, oriffice tube, compressor and low pressure switch replaced. System vaccumed down to -30 and seviced. No improvment from before I started. Cool or cold at idle, warms up at highway speed.

-30 what? How much oil and refrigerant was put in the system?

-30 negative vaccum

-30 negative vaccumm, 4 oz oil in compressor, 4 oz oil in orifice tube line and 4 oz. in the out high pressure line. Than 32 oz of 134r. almost 3 cans. Serviced pretty much to specs.

-30 is not units; vacuum is typically measured in inches of mercury, or microns.

Regardless, it sounds like your refrigerant side is fine. You should check your blend door and related parts.

Back