• Register Today It's free!

Who's a good tuner for the STA?

88racing

Reaction score
City, State
SF, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 STA
Looking at using a SCT xcal3 but I'm looking for some tuners to write custom tunes for it....

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank-you in advance....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure for the Sport Trac.....I have a 2005 Mustang Gt also and there are a many good tuners out there for the Mustang....Would the tunes be relatively the same since the Sport Trac and the Mustang run the 4.6ltr 3V Mod motor??? I am not sure...

Does he know the tables for the 6R80 transmission we have? The engine tune is compatible with the mustangs, but the transmission is where some have had issues. Would be very interested in this!

You guys may want to consider BBR ( Blow By Racing ). I recently have had a tune down loaded from them. Even though I have had problems with it, it really was of not fault of theirs. The throttle response was fantastic almost as good as having a cable to the throttlebody. Much more part throttle torque too. I only had the tune for a day because of incompatablility issues, but I would say that my mileage average in town was goin up from before. In southern California there is alot of idling and stop and go... It seams that my computer had been down loaded from Ford and had the "strategy" code changed in the ECU but the code on the outer case was not changed to match. So, I had DTC codes being thrown. I am now waiting for my new tune via Email. My suggestion is get the SCT and get the stock "strategy" code first then, have them Email the tune to you...

Update....

Picked up a used xcal3 off f150online........ now for custom tunes

Still looking at Henson+vmptuning ...maybe bbr

Get this....PHP might pull through also.....what was both good and bad is that Bill could've gotten the edge cts to work for my truck but it wouldn't tune the tranny....at least not yet until edge gets off their arse and get the new update out for ford vehicles that have tcms....:( the sad part is Bill is BURRIED......good for them bad for me.....

Thanks for the replies.....

SO does anyone know of any tuner who has actually been able to provide a tune that modifies the transmission as well?? I contacted my local SCT tuner and he said SCT doesnt have anything yet for our transmission. He could give me a tune for the engine only. This blows my mind since the 6 speed auto has been out for how long now?? Honestly I think the gain from transmission tuning in our V8 explorers would be more of a performance benefit than any engine tuning. (i.e. higher shift points, downshifting, etc.)

I've used Torrie, the owner of www.fastpartsnetwork.com and Unleashed Tuning. It's mail order. His tuning is second to none. His customer service is amazing. He has specifically tuned hundreds of sport tracs. Check out some of the feedback on www.mysporttrac.com The guy is awesome.

Also, Torrie can edit the TCM or transmission tuning with the SCT unit. Made a huge difference in my shifting and power. You can't go wrong with him.

I wouldn't give Blow By Racing one cent of my money. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. I've even emailed them about their STA M90 SC kit and they just don't care enough to respond. Instead, I am getting my STA Saleen supercharged at Brenspeed in October.

Does he know the tables for the 6R80 transmission we have? The engine tune is compatible with the mustangs, but the transmission is where some have had issues. Would be very interested in this!

I thought we had a 6R60 in all gen2 V8 Sport Tracs and the new F150 got the 6R80.

6R60 was in the initial one. Some point in 2008 I believe they changed to the 6R80.

Changing topics a bit, I have a Saleen Series VI right now. I have a few more parts to put together, but it will be going on my STA as well. Not sure when though, it might not happen until Christmas time. Please keep us (me) in the loop on your progress, driveability, fuel econ, etc.. Good luck!

let me know how this work out for you

6R60 was in the initial one. Some point in 2008 I believe they changed to the 6R80.

My ST is a 2008 XLT 4X4 V8. How do I find out which tranny is in it?

I have never tired to change the tuning on one of my rides before. How difficult is it and what do you guys do when warranty service is needed?

Back