Dealer "info" on MyFord Touch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer "info" on MyFord Touch

bigzaj

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
When I was at my dealer yesterday the guy trying to fix my system said, and I quote "Ford is rebuilding the software from the ground up to try and fix it"

Not sure if he is right, I would lean towards he is wrong...but either way I'm willing to bet it's going to a while before we have a true FIX for all of the many MyFord Touch issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard something similar to that from customer service. As of yesterday, 6-15-11, there is no expected release date for the software either as they "want to make sure it works"..... something they should have done BEFORE they unleashed it on us in the first place.

That's good to hear. Hope they release it soon so I don't have to make any more trips to the dealer.

It is true and slated to go into the 2013 Flex. The million $ question is if we will get it or if we're stuck with MyFordVista.

j.

When I was at my dealer yesterday the guy trying to fix my system said, and I quote "Ford is rebuilding the software from the ground up to try and fix it"

Not sure if he is right, I would lean towards he is wrong...but either way I'm willing to bet it's going to a while before we have a true FIX for all of the many MyFord Touch issues.

This would be very possible... If they built it on the newer windows auto 7, and went w/ silverlight instead of flash lite then it would be a much more responsive, useful, compatible system. The hardware meets all the required specs for windows embedded automotive 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-automotive-7.aspx

I would still rather have Apple and iOS making it hum....

It is true and slated to go into the 2013 Flex. The million $ question is if we will get it or if we're stuck with MyFordVista.

That's really the question, isn't it? I have no doubt that they're working on newer/better versions. The question is will current EX owners be able to get it, or will it be limited to next gen hardware in later models?

I have the bad feeling we'll get orphaned...minor fixes here and there but basically what we see is what we'll get.

That's really the question, isn't it? I have no doubt that they're working on newer/better versions. The question is will current EX owners be able to get it, or will it be limited to next gen hardware in later models?

I have the bad feeling we'll get orphaned...minor fixes here and there but basically what we see is what we'll get.

I disagree, I really think Ford will step up and make it right for the 2011 owners too! The MFT issues have been acknowledge publicly by Fords CEO Alam Mulally.

I really like the interface so I hope their fix/redo is just a stronger source code and MFT looks the same but just works better.

I disagree, I really think Ford will step up and make it right for the 2011 owners too! The MFT issues have been acknowledge publicly by Fords CEO Alam Mulally.

I really like the interface so I hope their fix/redo is just a stronger source code and MFT looks the same but just works better.

I dunno. It's one thing to acknowledge it and work on newer/better versions moving forward. It's another to make such a fix compatible with your previous hardware (which may have something to do with the problems) and commit to retrofitting tens of thousands of older vehicles. I imagine we'll see minor updates, but nothing more. I'm often wrong about things like this though.

I do think they would keep the same user interface if there is indeed a major overhaul. Can't see them unleashing a completely different front end. It might be OK for geeks like me, but the majority probably wouldn't want to see something that was fundamentally different from what they purchased.

I would still rather have Apple and iOS making it hum....

From the same company that can't even implement blue tooth texting, has the absolutely worst smart phone keyboard, has a god awful auto correct system that decides to randomly re-write what you just typed and doesn't support Flash over a personal grudge.

I have an iPhone 4 currently and my previously phone was a Droid.

This is really a well designed system with an underlying weak implementation on a solid OS. No OS can fix a bad app and Ford really rushed this out too soon.

I think the interface is fine - If they just work out the bugs it'll be a great system.

Frankly, even with the bugs, what we have to remember is that the Explorer has twice as many features as comparable products such as the Acadia, Highlander, and Pilot.

For example:
BLIS
Cross path detection
collision avoidance
auto-park (which works AWESOME btw)
cooled seats
sirius travel link (although on-star may be similar)
push-button start with the remote key thing (awesome)
remote start
inflatable seat belts
mood lighting
MFT and Sync (Even with bugs is pretty cool and better than most systems out there)

I just rode in a friends brand new Infiniti sports car and he had an Lcd screen and ipod integration, but it was not a touch screen and it had horrible resolution. No cooled seats, no BLIS, no cross path detection, no auto park, no inflatable belts, no mood lighting, etc....

The Acadia had bluetooth connectivity to your phone and a heads up display but that was pretty much it in terms of technology. The Highlander and Pilot had almost zero tech features.

Look folks, understandably the bugs in MFT are worse than maybe we thought (and certainly are extremely bad for guys like LoganFilm and some others), but we ARE early adopters. Early adopters by definition are going to have the buggiest systems. BUT, I trust that Ford will get it fixed.

BTW, did you guys see this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sync

shows a picture of the APIM module. Total parts cost to Ford: $27.80!!!!

On that website: "... And since Microsoft Auto software is started from a flash drive rather than a fixed disk, boot time is greatly reduced, taking as little as 357 milliseconds. ..."

LOL!!!!!!! :p:

You need to remember that MS's software is Sync. That software works very well. Ask any Sync owner who doesn't have a touch screen interface.

The problem here is NOT Sync. It is MyFordTouch. MFT is the touchscreen user interface. That interface is created by Ford. Ford's creation is buggy and would likely run equally as bad if it was running on Android, iOS, or Sync.

The blame here can be squarely placed on Ford.

You need to remember that MS's software is Sync. That software works very well. Ask any Sync owner who doesn't have a touch screen interface.

The problem here is NOT Sync. It is MyFordTouch. MFT is the touchscreen user interface. That interface is created by Ford. Ford's creation is buggy and would likely run equally as bad if it was running on Android, iOS, or Sync.

The blame here can be squarely placed on Ford.

I usually have to reboot my iPhone and iPods every couple of weeks because they start to act weird. As a matter of fact that is something you can do that might help Sync. I have had Sync since 2008 and every now and then you have to reboot your iPod. I have played extensively with it in my old car and if I unplugged the iPod and replugged it in; I still had problems but if I rebooted the iPod everything would work properly. That pretty much put the problem with Apple in my book. I have only had MFT for a couple of weeks, so I haven't had as much time to observe any problematic behavior.

To reboot older iPods flip the hold switch on and then off quickly and then hold both the menu (top of circle) and select (center of circle) for about 5 seconds until it reboots. The Touch and iPhone you hold the top button for about 5 seconds until a swipe menu appears to power down. Then restart with the top button.

agreed, these 2011's are not chump change.

Went to the dealer to have my fans replaced and mft updated, he stated if it still turned on they didn't even want to try and update it,v2.4, they have had nothing but trouble so far updating others and said to wait for the major update.........not the best dealer, didn't know about any of the problems with any explorers ours was one of the first they had sold.....

Back