need help with a cold blooded explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need help with a cold blooded explorer

kyleray89

Reaction score
City, State
molalla oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
so i bought a 93 ford explorer xlt 4x4 for $650. has about 131k or 231k not to sure it doesnt read the hundred thousands spot but its way cleaner and better condition than my gfs 94 that has 240ish so im assuming its 131. anyways its running great but the only problem is when i firdt start it up it wont idle by itself and will just die. once its ran for about a minute it will idle on it own just fine. what could my problem be? this is my first ford that ive actually held on to and worked on so i have no experiance with fords. i have replaced the fuel filter, thermostat, cold temp sensor, throttle positioning sensor and also ran injector cleaner thru the tank and sea foam thru the brake boster hose to suck it into the engine and clean the sensors.:navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the IAC looked fairly clean when i took it off. is it possible that it looks clean but still bad?

I know this sounds strange, but mine started giving me similar starting problems after a bad oil change. It went away after a few changes with a better oil. Could it possibly be that you used a brand of oil it doesn't like?

well it doesnt have a problem starting just has a problem running by itsself when first started. once its ran for a little its fine i can start it up after coming out of the store or where ever i am and it will run just fine on its own when started. its just when it sits for awhile like hours. and i just got it and havent done a oil change yet.

well it doesnt have a problem starting just has a problem running by itsself when first started. once its ran for a little its fine i can start it up after coming out of the store or where ever i am and it will run just fine on its own when started. its just when it sits for awhile like hours. and i just got it and havent done a oil change yet.

Mine did that too. That's the only reason I mention it. Until you figure out a problem, try giving it a bit of gas when you start it up, and you hear it starting to stutter. The only other thing that was suggested to me by my shop, was something with the fuel injection system, but it went away with the oil change.

alright ill give the oil change a try and the iac. thanks.

Back