Ugly Carpet Seam under Driver/Passenger Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ugly Carpet Seam under Driver/Passenger Seats

krog77

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Suffolk, United Kingdom
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4x4 & '11 XLT 4x4
Does anyone else have an ugly carpet seam under both the driver's and passenger front seats? Looks like where the front and back carpet meet and the back portion overlaps the front portion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I saw that the other day. It really isn't that noticeable, not that many people look under the seat. But I do agree that it does look ugly. It appears that the carpet has a thick padding, which make is look ugly when it overlaps under the seats.

I have it too. The two ends don't meet. I thought it wasnt finished properly because I can see it in the gap between the seat and the door.

really r u for real

Probably the 1st things I noticed when I was getting inside the truck. Poor example of finishing off the cabin. Everything counts.

I also noticed this ugly seam while vacuuming the under seat area, it does look like a "perceived" fit concern. I assume they could not make the carpet one big piece? My other vehicles (not SUV's) have always had a "one" piece carpet design, not two pieces coming together basically with an overlap...

Yep. It's ugly and I notice it everytime I have the seats up. Someday I'll play with improving the appearance, maybe some double-sided carpet tape will improve things. But not today. :)

really r u for real
That's what I was thinking. My wife's new 2011 Escape limited isn't nearly as polished in the interior as the new explorers and it's like stepping into a luxury car when compared to my 99 X limited.

"really r u for real "

Ford is in a bit of a tough spot with the Explorer. The base model is priced low enough that ugly seems are acceptable. The Limited, when loaded, is priced very close to the premium market vehicles (BMW, Lexus, etc.) and the level of finish is expected to be much higher at that price point.

that's why i bought an XLT with the minimum i wanted and felt i got my moneys worth ;) a bang for your buck poor man's bmw x5/landrover? goes well with my 2001 z06 when i bought it new... a poor mans ferrari ;)

i like the whole styling in and out and level of finish and feel... quite better than when the last time i had a ford. i actually find the interior ride and noise level comparable, if not quieter, to my wifes aging lexus (except i havent driven it in heavy rain and i do have a little a pillar farting going on).

but looking at my wifes 7 year old lexus, i am quite impressed on how solid the car still is and the fit and finish is still tight... but i dont know yet whether the X will hold up just as well as my wifes car after seven years too. i'm kinda thinking it's not but hoping it wont look like a lot of seven year old explorers I see on the road today.

i really wouldnt have thought about looking under the seat to check that every seam and cut was perfect... but again, i bought an XLT and dont expect it :p:

but i do think i paid enough that it shouldnt make fart sounds. :rolleyes:

"really r u for real "

Ford is in a bit of a tough spot with the Explorer. The base model is priced low enough that ugly seems are acceptable. The Limited, when loaded, is priced very close to the premium market vehicles (BMW, Lexus, etc.) and the level of finish is expected to be much higher at that price point.

just went out to the parking lot to check the carpet... yep, if i get under thar, i see it.
At least you can see it's a nice thick piece of carpet they use with some decent padding.
guess they could have finished the edge of the carpet than to give it the rough look.
lucky i just put in a set of weather tech digifit mats... covers it up really nice and gives it a finished look.

"really r u for real "

I think it's so hilarious that you posted this! I noticed this the other day and thought it was just mine!

Never seen a seam like that in any other car I owned, Ford or other manufacture.

Now I know they are all like that.

I think it's so hilarious that you posted this! I noticed this the other day and thought it was just mine!

Never seen a seam like that in any other car I owned, Ford or other manufacture.

Now I know they are all like that.

I feel the same way as you; 46 years old, driven probably a hundred different cars when you include rentals and I've never seen a carpet joint left as obviously undone as in my Ex, so I thought it was just mine because surely someone at Ford QC would have noticed and corrected that if it was model wide.

I love the quality of the rest of the interior (MFT issues excluded), so I view this a major design failure for a vehicle at this price.

I feel the same way as you; 46 years old, driven probably a hundred different cars when you include rentals and I've never seen a carpet joint left as obviously undone as in my Ex, so I thought it was just mine because surely someone at Ford QC would have noticed and corrected that if it was model wide.

I love the quality of the rest of the interior (MFT issues excluded), so I view this a major design failure for a vehicle at this price.

I noticed this the second day I had it, and mentioned it to a Ford rep I know. To me, this is the only finish item I found that bugs me. The rest of the interior is as good as most vehicles out there twice the price.
So if that's all I can find wrong, kudos to Ford.
The carpet vendor should dip or paint this 5-inch edge with a color-matched latex to hide the backing.

"really r u for real "

I must disagree, the Explorer is nowhere near those vehicles prices. The level of finish is impressive for this price point.

I must disagree, the Explorer is nowhere near those vehicles prices. The level of finish is impressive for this price point.

You would be correct Boss. Someone go out and price a beamer with all these bells and whistles. I'm afraid you will be shelling out alot more quid then you think. I have the all weather mats and you can't see it at all. Unless your hammered from drinking and laying on the back floor. Then you would see it. Hmmmmph look a carpet seam. LMAO. Yes it's a carpet seam. Can you see sitting in the back seat. NO. Does it detract from the overall feel of luxury when sitting in it. NO. I understand that it's a carpet seam. However, it's UNDER the seats. I guess they should have used carpet tape and a seaming iron on it. I have seen a couple of things I would rather have fixed than a carpet seam under the seats. Cheers.

A fully loaded Explorer LTD can hit over 45k... i think that's certainly very close to the 'base' range for some cars like an X5 and an LR4 and certainly there with the X3 and LR2.

I think the styling is very comparable to them and the argument could be made that you get more vehicle for the money over their little siblings. I havent been in the x3 or lr2 but can argue the style and possible level of finish could be close?

But still not in their category... still a mid level vehicle.

you can always tell what price level a vehicle is in by checking the window controls :D...
if only driver side has auto up/down... low
if the front driver and front passenger controls are auto... mid level
if all windows have auto feature... luxury
manual crank windows... econo :D

look at the explorer... front controls only... mid level ;)

A fully loaded Explorer LTD can hit over 45k... i think that's certainly very close to the 'base' range for some cars like an X5 and an LR4 and certainly there with the X3 and LR2.

I think the styling is very comparable to them and the argument could be made that you get more vehicle for the money over their little siblings. I havent been in the x3 or lr2 but can argue the style and possible level of finish could be close?

But still not in their category... still a mid level vehicle.

you can always tell what price level a vehicle is in by checking the window controls :D...
if only driver side has auto up/down... low
if the front driver and front passenger controls are auto... mid level
if all windows have auto feature... luxury
manual crank windows... econo :D

look at the explorer... front controls only... mid level ;)

You're absolutely right. A loaded Explorer Limited is at least $10K less than a stripped Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne. And I mean Stripped.
Who needs NAV or memory seats or rear camera anyway.
Try $mid-sixties for those. Range Rover high $80's. Nuff Said.

whoa thar... in no way would i compare an X to a Q7 or even use the "P" word.
that's like comparing the Ford Taurus to a BMW 7 series or Audi...
those cars definitely have auto controls for every window :)

You're absolutely right. A loaded Explorer Limited is at least $10K less than a stripped Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayenne. And I mean Stripped.
Who needs NAV or memory seats or rear camera anyway.
Try $mid-sixties for those. Range Rover high $80's. Nuff Said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to be clear on two points:

1. You can see the unfinished edge of the carpet clearly just by looking down between the drivers seat and the door. You don't have to look under the seat to see it.

2. I've never seen a seam like this before in any other car; in fact somehow Ford found a way to not have this seam on my 1989 Mustang or 1998 Explorer, so I was stunned to see it on a 2011 vehicle.

But don't get me wrong; I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. It's just surprising.

Back