2000 ranger v8 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ranger v8 swap

Reaction score
City, State
flint mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger
i am ready to start the 5.0 swap in my 2000 ranger i have the motor,trans,tcase,computer and wireing from a 1998 explorer on the explorer the vss is on the tranny and on my ranger its on the rear axle so what can i do? need help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone? im ready to pull the 3.0 out and get the 5.0 in this is my hold back from geting started

Get a computer outof a 2000 v8 4wd explorer or change out the wiring harness

Probably the whole thing, I don't even think the plug at the ecu will even work cuz the wiring is differnt. I've tried a 98 ecu in my ex and it ran like crap. It would be easiest to just find an ecu for a 2000. Actually 99-01

Probably the whole thing, I don't even think the plug at the ecu will even work cuz the wiring is differnt. I've tried a 98 ecu in my ex and it ran like crap. It would be easiest to just find an ecu for a 2000. Actually 99-01
i have the under hood harness and the tranny, o2 sender harness and computer from the 1998 what im wondering is what if i swap that harness and hook up the speed sencer on the tranny will it work?

Well if u have the harness u could try the trans harness but like I said the wiring on the ecu is differnt alsthe 98 trans harness might still not work even with a 2000 ecu. And I'm pretty sure the v6 one won't work either. I hope some others get on here to chime in cuz I'm not to knoledgable on all this. I usually only fiddle with older vehicles without all this computer stuff to worry about. But if it was too easy to put a v8 in a ranger everybody would do it.

yea thanks for the help i just wanna start pulling the 3.0 soon what im trying to finger out is i got the under hood harness and trans harness and computer is that all? i mean it works in explorer should work in ranger right?

Yes. It should but the harness from the ecu to where it splits off to the engine and trans is the one I'm worried about. If you had the whole harness from the 98 I would say no worries .

Yes. It should but the harness from the ecu to where it splits off to the engine and trans is the one I'm worried about. If you had the whole harness from the 98 I would say no worries .

hmm im not sure? i have the one that plugs in ecu and it hooks to everything on motor then i have the one that plugs in the plug by the motor and goes to trans and o2s

Oh. I was thinking that was separate and the engine was one of the little square plugs. U shouldn't have a problem then. Sorry for worryin you. Like I said I'm not to knowledgable on thes things. I don't ever have to work on my ex so I don't know that much about the wiring harness on it. If it was an s10 I could tell you bout anything about it I've had it tore down hundreds of times before I finalluy got rid of the pile of crap. Good luck!

Oh. I was thinking that was separate and the engine was one of the little square plugs. U shouldn't have a problem then. Sorry for worryin you. Like I said I'm not to knowledgable on thes things. I don't ever have to work on my ex so I don't know that much about the wiring harness on it. If it was an s10 I could tell you bout anything about it I've had it tore down hundreds of times before I finalluy got rid of the pile of crap. Good luck!

yea you gota work on them s10s a lot to keep them runing loll thanks for the help

Back