A/C can recharge with guage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C can recharge with guage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used them many times on different vehicles. I have not had any problems. Just use common sense. You are unable to hook up to the high pressure side with this setup. Don't be afraid to shake the can while charging.

It is also a good idea to check the outlet air temp with a probe type thermometer. I like to see about 40 degree air from the outlet on a typical hot day ( 75-80 degrees)

I've used a similar hose with gauge on several cars. It has always worked well to top off the AC system. But, It doesn't do anything but add refrigerant.

You should have asked about WHICH product to use in your vehicle.
Stop-leak, Synthetic, Oils, dyes, "high performance", "high Mileage", "conditioning"

I've heard just about every angle on this matter

-The stop-leak formulas ruin Air Conditioner parts, and make repairs difficult. they kind of gum up the works.

-The stop leak actually works without any problems.

- Just use regular refrigerant with a dye so leaks are easier to find if you have a leak that needs repaired.

All the big cans they sell in my neighborhood have a leak-stop in them.
Some have a goofy hose attachment system that only lets you use a certain brand of refrigerant
I found regular r-134 at walmart. my store had dozens of all in one kits with the leak-stop and only 4 or 5 simple, cheap cans of refrigerant.

Anyone ever use these? I suspect my 99 XLT freon might be a little low. Is this guage accurate? I don't want to waste my money if its not worth it.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=532242_0_0_

It appears that this item has the push-on connector. The charging port on my '00 XLT appears to be a screw on type, but unfortunately all the kits where I live only have the push on type connector. I'm hoping mine has a push on connector hidden somewhere.

It appears that this item has the push-on connector. The charging port on my '00 XLT appears to be a screw on type, but unfortunately all the kits where I live only have the push on type connector. I'm hoping mine has a push on connector hidden somewhere.

There is only 1 type of connection for 134. The kit will work.

There is only 1 type of connection for 134. The kit will work.

You are correct. It's on top of the accumulator. I was looking right beside the radiator cap where there's a label identifying a low side service port, but it's a screw on connection. Thanks for the info.

yeah the screw part is just used to depress the valve.

Well, according to the gauge and the outside temp, the system was a little low. I charged it according to the chart on the can and....well....WOW! I don't remember the AC being this cold, even when I bought it brand new in 2000.

Back