• Register Today It's free!

2005 exoplorer xlt blower issue

go pens

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 xlt
Vehicle has front and rear a/c and heat. Rear works fine but when I turn on the front, nothing, no noise, no flow, nothing. I dont think this is an a/c issue but rather a blower motor issue???

So a few questions, any help would be appreciated.

Based on the above what should I check first (resistor, relay, motor, anything else?

Where are all of the above located? I looked on line and saw a video about changing the motor, looked simple, but when I looked under the hood I dont see it on the firewall. Am I missing something? Any pics would be appreciated.

All help is always greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ck the blower motor fuse first but it is probably bad blower motor.

Ck the blower motor fuse first but it is probably bad blower motor.

Fuses are good.

Is the motor pretty easy to replace? It looks like its right under the glove box. I read that it can also be the switch, how do you test that? With it not doing anything at all does that rule out the resistor?

the motor shouldnt be too hard to replace, to check you can disconnect the plug at the blower motor, hook up a test light , if it lights you have power,and your switch is fine, while your there just to double check make sure the ground is good. i didnt have to replace my blower motor , but i had it out a couple months ago and cleaned out some leaves that got in there and was making noise only took abouit 20 minutes to remove/replace the motor , it is right under the glove box BTW

basicly if you have power and ground and the motor does not spin , you need a motor.

sometimes when you replace blower motors it can be difficult to swap the fan blades (or hamster wheel) without damaging the fins

hope this helps

check the blower motor resistor Im not sure where it is on the 3rd gens

Swapped out the blower motor and everything is running fine. Wasnt as difficult as I thought it would be, probably took half an hour.

Broke down and bought the Haynes repair manual which was helpful.

What was kind of a pain was I unhooked my battery since it said to since working by the airbag. When you hook it back up the computer needs to re-learn itself which scared me a little since it went into limp mode...

Back