antifreeze drip on my driveway, under drivers floor area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

antifreeze drip on my driveway, under drivers floor area

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
We recently got a new Expedition so the Explorer (2004 4.6L)has been used less frequently.
It has not moved for about 2 days.

This morning, I notice a wet spot under it, right under where the drivers feet would be. I jacked it up, put it on stands, and crawled under.

Looks like its coming down back of the motor where the trans bolts on.
Whats there that could leak?

Im hoping its not a headgasket:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the heater core if it's getting on the floor boards.

Sounds like the heater core if it's getting on the floor boards.

No its not on the floor board, its below the drivers floor on my driveway

I had an exact situation on my 04 EX, And I also suspected serious problems because of the location of the drip on the floor. Upon close inspection, it turned out to be just a defective hose clamp (upper radiator hose) The leak traveled quite a long trail and drip just where you described. I changed the clamp, and the hose. No problems afterwards. Good luck.

I had an exact situation on my 04 EX, And I also suspected serious problems because of the location of the drip on the floor. Upon close inspection, it turned out to be just a defective hose clamp (upper radiator hose) The leak traveled quite a long trail and drip just where you described. I changed the clamp, and the hose. No problems afterwards. Good luck.

I will check that out!
The truck has been parked since I posted this thread, and no wet spots under it.... very strange.

Im expecting the worst though, its my nature LOL

I will check that out!
The truck has been parked since I posted this thread, and no wet spots under it.... very strange.

Im expecting the worst though, its my nature LOL

Jusr curious to know the outcome, keep us informed...

Jusr curious to know the outcome, keep us informed...

Nothing...
I have not moved it since this post... and there are no drips.. I dont get it...

Sure it's coolant? I thinks there's some sort of drain-pipe under the chassis in that area; I noticed that I had some rust only in one spot of the transmission pan; saw that there was a rectangular drain pipe which allowed water (A/C condensation? rain water?) to drain in that area; right onto transmission gear selector mechanism and the connector for the transmission control cable (on top of solenoid). Never did anything about it....

Sure it's coolant? I thinks there's some sort of drain-pipe under the chassis in that area; I noticed that I had some rust only in one spot of the transmission pan; saw that there was a rectangular drain pipe which allowed water (A/C condensation? rain water?) to drain in that area; right onto transmission gear selector mechanism and the connector for the transmission control cable (on top of solenoid). Never did anything about it....

Im pretty sure its coolant...has a slippery feel..

And the other day when I noticed it, my wife started it took it, after she left the driveway there was another spot very close to it just as big! I was like WTF!

But the second spot evaporated pretty quick in the 100° heat, the original spot, took all day which tells me it was something other than water.

When mine was leaking @ the same spot, what happened was that the upper radiator hose clamp, the one by the engine was cracked, but remain in place so it wasn't too obvious. When the engine was hot, pressure would force a tiny leak and continue for a while after shut down and parked. Make sure you check that hose carefully.

Back