• Register Today It's free!

t-case ?

xxplorer96

Reaction score
City, State
MICHIGAN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
i just bought a 96 explorer sport control trac 4x4 5 speed .. first thing i did was reach for the 4x4 switch but there is not one where it would normaly be located.. so im guessing that the tcase is awd all the time. which i dont like and want to swap in another tcase like i had in my 95 had the 4auto 4hi 4lo.. (somthing like that, the 95 was also a control trac) i did a little search but couldnt find what i was looking for..

what tcase can i swap in mine to get rid of this tcase and what all do i need?..

Thanks for any responces:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only way it doesnt have a switch:

1) Its a V8 AWD.
2) Its a 2WD.
3) Its a V6 Auto 4WD and someone swapped the radio bezel for one without the switch.

alright thanks yea im guessing thatgs what somone did is switch i had another bezel that had 2wd 4auto 4lo but that one didnt work some im gonna get a 4auto 4hi 4lo switch and try that hopfuly that one works..

alright thanks yea im guessing thatgs what somone did is switch i had another bezel that had 2wd 4auto 4lo but that one didnt work some im gonna get a 4auto 4hi 4lo switch and try that hopfuly that one works..

The switch is the same for either 95-96 style (2wd, 4auto, 4low0 and 97+ (4 auto, 4hi, 4low).

Ummm are you sure you bought a 4wd? do you have a transfer case and/or front axles?

yup im sure.. ive had a few explorers

2-16.jpg

i had to get the 4auto 4hi 4lo switch just grabbed one from the junkyrad and the 4wd works great now..

Ummm are you sure you bought a 4wd? do you have a transfer case and/or front axles?

Back