Air conditioning-how good is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air conditioning-how good is it?

wheeling

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Living in Texas that already have more than 16 days of over 100 degree temperature, I wonder how good is the X AC system. Since it is quite big, can it cool down quickly in 100+ degree sun?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live near Dallas, Texas.
The A/C has worked fine in the hottest days so far (101). I keep the temp at 70.
I usually turn on the seat air.
I usually use the remote start if the car has been in the sun for awhile.
The MAX A/C works well, but I seldom use it.
I have found that it works better if the rear air is running also. Low fan speed is sufficient to keep the back cool.
I have a 2011, white, limited, 302a, tow, NO sunroof.

I read somewheere that the X has a variable speed compressor for the AC system to help improve the feul efficiency. That seems to mean that using a lot of AC will reduce the fuel efficiency. How is your MPG looks like, does the constant runing of AC affect your MPG?

Thanks

Living in Texas that already have more than 16 days of over 100 degree temperature, I wonder how good is the X AC system. Since it is quite big, can it cool down quickly in 100+ degree sun?

Thanks

Seems to work fine for me. I had a tire blowout a couple weeks ago and waited for roadside assistance. The temp was unseasonably hot at 96 degrees and HUMID! Air worked perfectly.

Additionally, depending on your package you get, the limiteds have cooled seats - which are nice. The remote start even turns on the air and the cooled seats for you.

Air conditioner works great. It's 100° everyday here in the panhandle too. Had to raise my temp up to 75° the other day because it was too cold. A/C does seem to lower MPG's a bit. Of course 40 MPH winds every stinkin' day doesn't help either. What a beautiful part of the country. I'd kill for some "rain noise":)

Max A/C will be more efficient to run since it will be cooling the already cooled recirculated interior air, vs. trying to cool new air from the outside on normal A/C...

I read somewheere that the X has a variable speed compressor for the AC system to help improve the feul efficiency. That seems to mean that using a lot of AC will reduce the fuel efficiency. How is your MPG looks like, does the constant runing of AC affect your MPG?

Thanks
In any vehicle, the AC is a load/accessory to the engine, so it will cause MPG reduction.

My air does not seem to work very well on hot days. Seems like a lot of heat comes of the dash and other areas, and the air can't keep up, sometimes.

It seems to me the A/C system is under powered. It has not gotten real hot yet in So Cal, but my X does not blow nearly the cold air my Tahoe did. In fact my Mazda even blows colder air. Took it to the dealer when the MFT died and they checked it... According to the dealer it works fine.

I am pleased with my Ex.
Live in Austin, and this is the hottest that I have seen it in 10 years.
Mine is white, tinted windows, no moon roof.

My EX's A/C seems adequate. I live in North Carolina and we have had many days above 90 degrees. It seems to cool down in a reasonable amount of time without using the rear system. The air coming from the vents does not, however, seem as cold as that coming from my Toyota Tundra's vents. My truck does not have automatic temp. control.

Just a heads up, if your AC ever starts to feel like it's not blowing cold air, you better check your cooling fan and make sure it's spinning. I just got stung with the defective cooling fan issue (there is a TSB on it) and it lead to first my AC blowing basically warm air, followed soon after by my engine overheating. Just got the fan replaced today.

AC works fine for me in Georgia; been through many 100 degree days this year so far.

My X is not having any problems keeping up with this insane Texas heat.

This is the hottest June in recent memory here in OKC, up to 107 one day and 100 most days. The A/C works great with the "auto" setting on about 70.. I agree to be sure and turn on the rear air, I use a medium fan setting and turn down the temp a few degrees. For longer trips, I have gone to a lower fan setting in the rear. All cars are going to have less gas mileage with the a/c on; temps of 100+ are not as good for good MPG's as well.

I am overall very pleased with my explorer, can't wait to drive it home to and from work each day!

A/C Working Great in AZ

In Phoenix area has been over 100 each day for some time and now up around 110+ each day and no problems with the 11 EX Limited cooling capacity.
Only problem has been the musty smell when re-starting after parking. Wondering if a drain is plugged as have not seen any condensation drips under the car. Anyone else having this problem with smell for a few minutes after re-starting from being parked?

Use the remote start which temporarily sets the cooling to max and cooled seats. Also switch to re-circulate so not cooling the very hot outside air.

A/C stops when vehicle comes to a stop

My A/C works fine as long as the car is moving but the moment I come to a stop light, the car blows very hot air. I can't believe that is normal. Has anyone else experienced this problem. 2011 LTD with the works.

Sturm22 said:
My A/C works fine as long as the car is moving but the moment I come to a stop light, the car blows very hot air. I can't believe that is normal. Has anyone else experienced this problem. 2011 LTD with the works.

If your A/C is blowing hot when stopped, one (or both) of your fans on the radiator has failed (probably). Watch your engine temperature closely and get it to a dealer ASAP. It is BROKE and they will(should) fix it under warranty.

Mine does the same. I have an appointment to get the fan looked at. Mine also overheats if idled for 15 minutes or so. So you may want to go ahead and get it checked out b/c overheating is probably right around the corner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Poor A/C performance was one of my disappointments from the very beginning with my Ex. Now my fans have quite working and I have to take it in to have them replaced. My thought- if your A/C doesn't seem to cool well, keep an eye on your fans/engine temperature.

Back