• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire Winch/Carrier

FrankMasterFlash

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I did bit of searching, both Google and through the forums but I am having trouble finding a straight answer.

My Explorer:
2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition
4.6L V8 AWD(not selectable 4X4) With Class III Towing Package
97,500 Miles

I'll give a bit of back story. I was driving and recently got a flat. I went to go get my spare from under the car where, low and behold, there is nothing there but the wire where the tire once was. My best guess is that it was stolen thus leaving me in a predicament. So I had to throw a couple cans of 7-11 generic fix-a-flat(2-Cans) and some real Fix-a-Flat(1 Can for Large Autos) to get me going again. Now on to my questions...

The first question is, is there a part number for the spare tire winch/carrier that I could purchase online? I am having trouble locating what I need. If I did order this online how challenging would it be to swap out?

The second question that I had was in regards to the replacement spare. I have the 17" rims and I know with AWD it is critical to have the same size tires at all times or the transfer case can wear prematurely. Would this steelie work or do I have to spring for the full alloy? I couldn't find a 17" Steelie listed at rockauto.

16" - Steelie
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1315630
17" - 5-Spoke Alloy Replica
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1314946
Is the spare tire carrier/winch able to hold an alloy?

The last question I had is that after putting fix-a-flat in a tire, is it possible to still patch the punctured tire (granted its not in the sidewall) or is the tire trashed now that there is a couple cans of sealant in there? Can a tire shop clean it out? Is the tire valve stem trashed also?

Thanks for the insight!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...This thread has some good info for patching your tire...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296115

The first question is, is there a part number for the spare tire winch/carrier that I could purchase online?

...I take it you are referring to the stock item..:scratch:...If so, others will chime in to help you out..For a used one you could contact our vendor Kbabiak on he bottom of the forums page..;)

The tire shop should be able to clean out the fix-a-flat. They should also let you know about the stem.

For the tire winch I'd just go to the junk yard to pick it up, you may even find the original rim with a tire for cheap.

I'm sure that you could get away with any rim so long as you can get the winch holder through the center, and the total diameter of the tire is the same (with a 16" rim you would need bigger rubber.)

Personally, I'd buy the same rim as all other four and try to find a tire for the new rim with the same wear so that you can rotate all five at the same time.

I think the part number for the winch is 7L2Z-1A131-A.

Thank you guys, I do appreciate it. That part is just what I am looking for. I am planning also on just getting that 16" spare from RockAuto. My Mechanic talked to ford and they said that the 16" is the right size for the spare and it is only to be used for a short period of time before getting the real tire fixed. I'm going to take it to my mechanic and he repair the tire that has the fix-a-flat in there and have him patch it up.

My last question is is that stock from Ford, out of the factory, do the Explorers that opt for the 17" rims come with a 16" steel spare rim by default or with a 17" 5th Alloy Mag Rim by default? Should I just spring for the full 17" reconditioned and would that fit underneath? Ford wants $150 for the 16" steel rim and I can get it from RockAuto for 50.

So just to confirm, if I buy this Rim, it would fit underneath with a 245/65R17 tire attached? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1314946
02-05 explorer; 17x7.5; 5 spoke

Thanks again!

My Mountaineer had 17's stock, and the spare tire/wheel was identical to the other four.

Back