No wipers, interior lights or 4x4 switch | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No wipers, interior lights or 4x4 switch

Well. I've been out in the 0 degree weather all morning messing with it. I took the GEM completely out and looked it over. I even took the cover off it hoping to see a wire or something loose or off. Nothing there either. Its all back together now and still nothing. I have check all relays and ever connection I could find. NOTHING. What the heck? It has to be that GEM.By the way,GEM is not the word I would call this thing. More like rock,or maybe!@#%%#$%&$@^#&$#. Anyway, I guess I have to buy the darn thing. I really hope this is it my blood pressure can,t take much more of this. OH! have you ever noticed this sort of thing only happens with its colder than a witch's....Well you know what I mean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yes!!! My Ex has worked well since I bought it a year ago right through the summer without failure...the first sign of December snow...kaputt. Basically you've been through the process that I have and have come to the same conclusion. I'll also be getting a replacement GEM to try. Good luck and I hope this sorts it for us both. Then all I've got to do it fix the ABS and I''m allowed back out on the road!

hi there,
the black box behind the radio on the left is the ARC, Auto Ride control module.
The plugs can be put in the wrong way round on these which if you had it off may cause shorts further down the line.
I think that the box on the right is the auto 4wd module and brings the front drive in automaticaly if traction's lost at the back end.
Again if the harnesses are disturbed at the back there, you can end up lossing feeds to all sorts of things.
I'd have a real close look at the harness in the back of the radio and check if everythings ok and connected fully, then try the wipers etc. with the radio out. In case when the radio is in, it's pushing against the harness somewhere and breaking the connection.

Thanks Regorsmith. The box to the right behind the radio is the GEM and that's the only place I can find that links all these seperate functions, as the Battery Saver relay does not control the wiper supplies. I've had another short look this morning and it is definitely a connection fault either with the bottom connector or within the GEM itself (this could be why temp seems to be a factor).
Unfortunately, I've not had as much time I need to spend looking it recently.
The problem occurs with or without the radio, since I took the radio out after the problem first reared it's head and have not put it back in since, leaving me clear access to the bits. When the radio is in though, no cables in that area are strained. Cheers. GRoB.

YAAAAAAAA!!!!! Stop looking for other problems.Its the GEM. I just put my new one in and WHAMO!! everything works like new. Now watch when I go back out there the exploder will be on fire or something.haha.

Fantastic. Well done. The bloke came yesterday to diagnose the problem with my ABS and also checked the other systems. The GEM was showing connection faults. The next step is to get hold of a GEM. jcasey posted one to me but the Royal Mail seems to have lost it!

I even tried out the 4wd low last night.Everything is in A-1 shape. what a relief.I'll keep reporting back for time to time on any updates. This site is GREAT! it cut my troubles shoot time in half.

I still can't see a problem with the cables, connectors or GEM. I had the GEM under one of those illuminated magnifying glasses and nothing looked other than perfect. Still trying to find a replacement GEM in the UK though. GRoB.

My GEM has been a couple of weeks now and no problems at all.The weather has been really cold here(below 0 fer) 35.00 bucks fixed the problem.

Excellent. Funnily enough, mine's been working too for the last few weeks whilst I've been looking at the ABS problems. Trouble with this is that I can't trouble shoot it. Struggling to find a GEM over here and may have to look Stateside. The Ex is off the road at the moment till the ABS is sorted (test fail) and I'm sure the GEM problem will rear it's head as soon as I point it at the road!

Although the old GEM has been behaving itself, I sourced an identical second hand GEM from eBay in the States for about $50 including shipping (excellent condition and beautifully packed for the journey).
I've fitted that one and everything seems to be OK still. Keeping my old one as a spare. I still think that the fault was in the wiring / connectors but whilst it all works, I'll never find out.
Maybe it's waiting for the first flake of winter snow to pack up again!
Standing joke in the family is my rough and tough 4x4 that doesn't like working in the cold!

Slide5.jpg

In this picture (right hand side) where you have the words relay module . What is the cable that runs across the picture. it has a bulbous bit in the middle which has a wiring connector on it. Should it get hot? I was using your thread to check a battery drain and was looking for the relay box when I noticed it was hot.

Thanks

Hi Chrystal. I have no idea. All I know is it was in the way when trying to look at the relays. I'll try and have a look though. GRoB.

Thanks - apologies for seperate post but I was well into panic mode at that point!!

Havin same Issues with my 01 sport Trac. (no front wipers, no 4x4) Im thinking GEM as well. Know where to find the best deal on one? Tha ks for the detailed posts. Very helpful!

Zach

Hi Zach. I looked into all ways of getting this sorted once I'd settled on it being the GEM that was at fault. I'm not sure if me removing the radio unit had caused the fault but it asn't just a loose connector. Others have mentioned temperature effects - especially when cold and that could also have caused the fault to occur.
I looked at sending it away for repair but managed to track down a used one instead. The problem over here in Blighty is that Explorers and parts like this are few and far between and command a high price. However, I typed the Ford part number into eBay and there was one over in the States for a very sensible price (for that read "cheap" and postage was reasonable too). You never know with second hand bit like this as they tend to be the same age as the one that's failed. However, it cured the problem and, after over a year, the replacement still seems to be working OK (watch it, mine will now fail tonight!!).
Sorry I can't be more prescriptive and hope you manage to sort yours out.
Good luck, GRoB

Do you know where I can find the correct part number for my 01 sport Trac? I got in the dash and I think it was replaced with the wrong part since it says 4x2 on it and I'm very certain this has 4 wheel drive. Thanks!

Hi Zach.I was OK as I had the existing part number available and just typed that into eBay. I don't have access to this info at the moment but looking at eBay, there are a variety of GEMs for your age truck available. See the link below to one listed for 4WD. I think that the unit is fairly standard with some trucks using all functionality and others not. Maybe soemone will put me right on that one! The part number on this unit seems to ring a bell with the one I have but don't quote me on that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-2000...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab62306ad

Hope that this helps. GRoB

I assume this part will work for the sport Trac even though it's a "explorer" part? Are these parts fairly interchangeable? Just making sure! Thanks for your help! That eBay part looks good! I appreciate it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No idea Zach. Sorry.

Back