Reliable retailer ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reliable retailer ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no but you don't have to get them from the US, I have bought from these guys before and they are cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2x-NEW-Ford-Explorer-95-05-Lower-wishbone-BALL-JOINTS-/250591685741

Thanks - found these guys after I posted (don't know why I didn't see them in my earlier search).

I've read a few "how to.." posts on frt lwr ball-joints - the US guys all buy/hire presses for installation/removal, but i can't find anyone in UK that rents these out. So would I be able to just use brute force, bfh, trolley/bottle jacks etc instead ??
I assume that freezing the bj's before fitting is ok ??
Any other issues I should be wary of on this job ??

TIA
Gary

A large G clamp with some tubing works. Or just a BFH and a large socket to go over the new joint when you hammer the arm down.:D

I found that an old front hub from an explorer is the perfect size for the lower ball joint (don't ask why I keep old parts :))

I have a 10 tonne press, but it is easier to do it with the jack and lump hammer

Jim

A large G clamp with some tubing works. Or just a BFH and a large socket to go over the new joint when you hammer the arm down.:D

*cough*

Sounds like a 'how to' post coming (with pictures) Howard ;)

This is the 'tube' Howard refered to in his reply that I have used 3 times to good effect.

As you can see it has been 'precision' constructed from 25mm angle iron (from B&Q)

I would offer to post it to you but the cost of the postage would be more than the cost of the metal. you are welcome to pick it up if you are in the area.

jim

img00239201106271958.jpg

At some point in time I have "aquired" a 7ft length of scaffold tube - kept hold of it cos very handy as along lever - but thats going off on a tangent.
the point is, that i'm guessing its about the right diameter to use for my LBJ's ( ?? ) just wondering if a standard electric diy type angle grinder would cut through it in less than 4 days and 6 discs ??
if not then i'm going to the scrap yard at the weekend on the scrounge.

I have a spare LBJ at home, I will mic it up later, but I think the internal diameter of the scafolding tube will not be big enough.

The tube ID has to be big enough to go over the bottom of the LBJ but also snug enough to push against a shoulder which is less than 8mm bigger in diameter.

If I'm wrong, you could make a fortune selling 3 inch lengths of scafolding to explorer owners :)

the diameter of the LBJ is 43mm with the shoulder having a diameter of 55mm

its important to have a close fit to the 43mm so that when you press it in you are pressing on the shoulder at its strongest point.

img00245201106281927.jpg

img00243201106281927.jpg

ok, thanks for the info
will measure up the tube tomorrow & post back

Sods Law strikes!

I was investigating today a clunk from the front suspension and found that one of my LBJ's had a little play so descided to use my trusty tool again, here's it in use

once you have the LBJ sitting square in the hole underneath, apply the small trolley jack and jack up about 1/2 inch to put pressure on from underneath, then get your biggest hammer and hit the suspension arm down. I helps to use a drift to hammer down working around the LBJ on the suspension arm - I use a short 1/2 inch drive extension. takes about 1 hour per side.

img00247201107021427.jpg

img00246201107021426.jpg

Back