Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
guess how many curse words i said when this happened!?!?! :fire::fire:

got a 5speed and a 1354M from a local junk yard for 450 bucks for both! tranny was from a 99 ranger, t-case from a 95 ranger.. mileage unknown, both seem to work great except its a lil sticky going into 3rd gear... i decided to take them apart and look at em, probably rebuild them myself... so the other night. i took the shift rail cover off....

oil looks like it had been changed or just wasnt very dirty. didnt smell burnt. all the gears and teeth look fine. a few of the gold teeth are slightly worn, not bad tho... i did notice a few spots of rust on the shaft tho..

and

well the only thing i can think of is the rubber gasket came out and wasnt seated in the grove when i was tightening them... i thighend them all finger tight... then in a cross-pattern tightend them like a half turn each with the ratchet... it wasnt even tight when it cracked... i heard a "click" the same sound you get when u over tighten and strip a bolt....i look and see a nice big long crack!....ugggh any ideas on repair or where to find one used?

i found a used on on ebay for about 75 bucks.... so much for getting a good deal on a cheap tranny...
someone told me to have it welded... didnt think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

guess how many curse words i said when this happened!?!?! :fire::fire:

got a 5speed and a 1354M from a local junk yard for 450 bucks for both! tranny was from a 99 ranger, t-case from a 95 ranger.. mileage unknown, both seem to work great except its a lil sticky going into 3rd gear... i decided to take them apart and look at em, probably rebuild them myself... so the other night. i took the shift rail cover off....

oil looks like it had been changed or just wasnt very dirty. didnt smell burnt. all the gears and teeth look fine. a few of the gold teeth are slightly worn, not bad tho... i did notice a few spots of rust on the shaft tho..

and

well the only thing i can think of is the rubber gasket came out and wasnt seated in the grove when i was tightening them... i thighend them all finger tight... then in a cross-pattern tightend them like a half turn each with the ratchet... it wasnt even tight when it cracked... i heard a "click" the same sound you get when u over tighten and strip a bolt....i look and see a nice big long crack!....ugggh any ideas on repair or where to find one used?

i found a used on on ebay for about 75 bucks.... so much for getting a good deal on a cheap tranny...
someone told me to have it welded... didnt think

I've got one you can have for $20 plus shipping. I just have to dig it out of the garage.

Get rid of those rubber plugs. they are nothing but trouble!

I've got one you can have for $20 plus shipping. I just have to dig it out of the garage.

Get rid of those rubber plugs. they are nothing but trouble!

that sir, would be awesome! ill pm you on payday (2weeks) and send paypal... couldnt believe this happened, just my luck..

yes i will be ordering the steel plugs when ever i rebuild the trans. still have to get a few more parts before i actually swap it in, i just keep jumping around from one project to the next and instead of finishing one thing before i start the next lol... still gotta fininsh up my BL i did like 3 weeks ago lol

thanks

that sir, would be awesome! ill pm you on payday (2weeks) and send paypal... couldnt believe this happened, just my luck..

yes i will be ordering the steel plugs when ever i rebuild the trans. still have to get a few more parts before i actually swap it in, i just keep jumping around from one project to the next and instead of finishing one thing before i start the next lol... still gotta fininsh up my BL i did like 3 weeks ago lol

thanks

Ok. I'll dig it out this week. I would look into a shifter rebuild kit too, unless your going with the Hurst shifter. They cost about $20.

shifter rebuild kit on Ebay

Ok. I'll dig it out this week. I would look into a shifter rebuild kit too, unless your going with the Hurst shifter. They cost about $20.

ok sounds good. yes i planned on getting that as well. i noticed the rubber boot does have a small slice in it. i think that is the "sticky" shifting into 3rd. instead of clicking all the way into 3rd it clicks twice.. goes half way in then push it a lil farther and it does all the way in.. - i planned on replacing mostly everything... being a junk yard tranny and the fact that when i went and picked it up last winter it was completely burried in snow lol

as for the shifter....ill have to post some pics of the shift lever i built sometime - its a little different that the stock knob lol

thanks again!

Maybe that crack was already there, just not noticed. It would also make sense that going into 3rd gear was problematic. Pushing up into 3rd, putting pressure on that corner. :dunno:

Oh...when you replace the rubber plugs with the steel plugs, use some RTV on them. I forgot to do that, and I have one of them leaking now. :rolleyes:

Maybe that crack was already there, just not noticed. It would also make sense that going into 3rd gear was problematic. Pushing up into 3rd, putting pressure on that corner. :dunno:

Oh...when you replace the rubber plugs with the steel plugs, use some RTV on them. I forgot to do that, and I have one of them leaking now. :rolleyes:

ya i guess that is a possibility too... atleast i found a cheap fix haha

o good idea on the rtv, never thought of the need to do that, would you put the rtv on inside of the hole before you pound the in, or just on the outside after you put them in?

I would look into a shifter rebuild kit too, unless your going with the Hurst shifter. They cost about $20.

Hey snoranger, have you used this kit you linked? I've been wanting to redo mine based off this link: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm It says 6 pieces are needed, 2 flat washers, 2 wavy washers, and 2 bushings. To buy them online was way more than this kit.
The kit you linked comes with just 3, but the pic is for a M5R2, not M5R1. Any insight?
Thanks. Sorry for hijack!

Around the inside edge of the metal plugs. Make a seal from the inside so the fluids can't creep out.

o ok so just put some on the inside after you seat them.. got ya. thanks for the tip!

DERP! I trip on my own thoughts sometimes...:rolleyes:

I meant around the outside edge of the plugs, so that when you seat them in the hole, they form a seal on the inside.

That make more sense?

DERP! I trip on my own thoughts sometimes...:rolleyes:

I meant around the outside edge of the plugs, so that when you seat them in the hole, they form a seal on the inside.

That make more sense?

lol ya... i was wondering about that. wouldnt want a piece to fall off inside... but ya i get it....:thumbsup:

Hey snoranger, have you used this kit you linked? I've been wanting to redo mine based off this link: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/shifterbushings.htm It says 6 pieces are needed, 2 flat washers, 2 wavy washers, and 2 bushings. To buy them online was way more than this kit.
The kit you linked comes with just 3, but the pic is for a M5R2, not M5R1. Any insight?
Thanks. Sorry for hijack!

The kit I linked is for the R1 or R2.
They use the same parts. The title of the action is :
Ford Ranger M5R1 M50D Shifter Repair Kit

The description says:
1987 and up Ford Ranger Pickup 5 speed manual M5R1 / M50D

1987 and up Ford Explorer 5 speed manual M5R1 / M50D

1987 and up Ford F150 Pickup 5 speed manual M5R2 / M50D

1991-1994 Mazda Navajo , Mazda B3000 Pickup , Mazda B4000 Pickup

And some of the 1991-up Ford Thunderbird 5 speed manual RKE

According to the pic, it has:
The pins
The bushings
The wave ring
The seal plate
The bolts

I havent used that EXACT kit, but I used an Ebay kit just like it on both my ranger and my fullsize Bronco. So i know it will work on either trans.

The kit I linked is for the R1 or R2.
They use the same parts. The title of the action is :

The description says:

According to the pic, it has:
The pins
The bushings
The wave ring
The seal plate
The bolts

I havent used that EXACT kit, but I used an Ebay kit just like it on both my ranger and my fullsize Bronco. So i know it will work on either trans.

I have used this exact kit. It worked great.

Back