Moonroof and ability to resell

docsobeck

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer
hi all,

i'm in the process of ordering a 2011 limited with the 301A package, and my wife and i are having a "discussion" over the moonroof. (car is for me - she has her own.) i've always thought moonroof were super-cool, but when you get right down to it, i've had one in my current explorer for 50 months now and i've probably used it less than 50 times. so in my view it's not worth $1,500.

my only concern is whether or not lack of a moonroof on a car that's otherwise loaded will make it harder to resell. any thoughts? it's not so much about resale value or whether it's nice to have the moonroof (as in the current moonroof thread), but rather if anyone has any firsthand experience or data as to whether it really matters when it comes time to sell.

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi all,

i'm in the process of ordering a 2011 limited with the 301A package, and my wife and i are having a "discussion" over the moonroof. (car is for me - she has her own.) i've always thought moonroof were super-cool, but when you get right down to it, i've had one in my current explorer for 50 months now and i've probably used it less than 50 times. so in my view it's not worth $1,500.

my only concern is whether or not lack of a moonroof on a car that's otherwise loaded will make it harder to resell. any thoughts? it's not so much about resale value or whether it's nice to have the moonroof (as in the current moonroof thread), but rather if anyone has any firsthand experience or data as to whether it really matters when it comes time to sell.

thanks!

If the person buying has to have a moon roof they wont look at yours. As far as $$$, you will lose. The car will be worth no more or at most $200-$400 for the roof.

I would only buy the roof if you personally want it while you own the vehicle. I would not have bought it if it was not dual panel.

Plus, you have to think about how much that $1,500 would be worth after another 50 month ownership run with this vehicle. You win on both ends in that you get to keep the money in savings or pay down the loan more and you save the interest on the $1,500. You won't get anywhere near that amount back when you sell it. On Edmunds a power glass roof is worth an additional $260 retail on a used 2008 Explorer.

At the end of day hey if you like to have a moon roof go for it!! Regardless of what price you get if you ever sell the explorer i have never heard of anyone making real money on selling a car except the dealer so gooooooooooo fooooooooooor itttttttttt !! 1500.00 is just about 30 dollars per month. So if you smoke its one pack less per week it will do you good if you drink skip a pack a week and if you play lotto don't stop you might hit and pay off explorer lol !!!

This was an option I contemplated as well. In the end, I went for it. I also went with the 301A package because I don't need the Parallel Park Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, but I did include BLIS which I highly recommend. As for the moonroof, it was because I have an 18 month old daughter that loves looking out the windows looking for birds, balloons, and the moon and stars at night. I didn't get the DVD package to entertain her, so I went for the moonroof. I have had the Explorer for a month now, and used the moonroof about 10 times.

It really is up to what your needs are. $1,500 is a lot of cash, but will you be happy without the moonroof? Think about it for a couple days, and I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Simple answer is to use the moonroof more often. On colder/sunny days I open it and crank the heat up (great to do on a sunny March day after the winter dulldrums). On warmer days (early summer and late summer) I open it and crack the AC up and cooled seats. Most of the time it's closed, but it is nice to have the sunlight on you.

Passangers love the moonroof in the new Explorer. Gives them a "voluminous" sensation.

I was told that moon roofs are one option that you will recoup a large portion of your cost when trading.

Get the car how YOU want it equipped. Mine has the dual moonroof, and the kids like it, but I hardly use it.
In fact, the only reason I have it is because I bought my Ex off the dealer's lot. And the car came with it. If I had ordered it, I wasn't going to get the moonroof. I hate the sun in my eyes.
It's definitely a personal preference.

As an aside - I wish you could open the rear cover without opening the front one!

I was told that moon roofs are one option that you will recoup a large portion of your cost when trading.

I don't think this is very true. Very few options are ever recouped in a large protion. Maybe a V-8 or AWD/4x4. But not a $1,500 roof. Sorry. Sounds like this was told to you by your saleperson, because they had it on the lot, and wanted you to buy it.

When buying a car you should buy what you want that way you have no regrets, you can't worry about what other people may desire down the road. It's not about money you may or may not recoup it's about you.

Plus, you have to think about how much that $1,500 would be worth after another 50 month ownership run with this vehicle. You win on both ends in that you get to keep the money in savings or pay down the loan more and you save the interest on the $1,500. You won't get anywhere near that amount back when you sell it. On Edmunds a power glass roof is worth an additional $260 retail on a used 2008 Explorer.

That's pretty damn good since my 2008 Explorer was $350 for the moonroof and siruis radio.

I'll never buy a car without one. The natural lighting is nice.

That's pretty damn good since my 2008 Explorer was $350 for the moonroof and siruis radio.

Really? $350 in 2008?

The power moonroof on my 2005 (XLT) and 2007 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) was $850 in both instances.

Never, I repeat never buy a feature on a car for resale value. Sure it will sell for a little more than if you didn't have it, but the recapture of the initial investment will be pennies on the dollars (30 to 50 pennies probably).

However if you like the feature, get it and enjoy it.

My recommendation is, if you're worried about resale, look at Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com), go back however many model years you like, and see if a moonroof was a factor on increasing the value of the vehicle. If not, then it won't be a factor for any dealer taking in your trade. It might be important to a private party buyer.

I got the 302A, but I can just about assure you that BLIS or Adaptive Cruise won't be a kbb.com factor. I leased, so in the end, it doesn't matter to me.

It's a wash- when looking at used cars, even if it has a moonroof, it may be missing another option, or have different miles. I don't think it affects it one way or the other, and if it even does, no way would it affect it as much as miles, drivetrain type, or even overall maintenance records/upkeep.

Really? $350 in 2008?

The power moonroof on my 2005 (XLT) and 2007 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) was $850 in both instances.

Yes, it was something like "sun and sound" in a special package. I wanted the moon roof anyway, but I jumped on that.

My wife gets a moon roof on every car she buys ,but really hardly ever uses it. But you should buy whatever you want. I don't worry about the resale value at trade in or sale time.

My wife gets a moon roof on every car she buys ,but really hardly ever uses it. But you should buy whatever you want. I don't worry about the resale value at trade in or sale time.

My wife does too. She has a bad habit of driving around with the sunroof open and the AC blasting away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely get it, even though we never really open the roof in my wifes new escape, (and it's not nearly as impressive as the X's) it is a joy to just have some natural lighting and the ability on a hot day to have some fresh air.
1,500 bucks isn't much when you consider the length of the loan, if it's a loan.

Back