Need to replace factoy radio in 1997 Mounty, help me choose!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to replace factoy radio in 1997 Mounty, help me choose!!!

SHOBrad

Reaction score
City, State
New Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer V8 AWD
I've got a 100% 1997 Mounty (seems to be mostly the 1996 explorer for buying parts) and need some advice on replacing the radio. The pass side rear channel is dying loudly. It's got the factory in-dash tape with 5 disk changer in the console. I would only like to replace this with a factory radio but I don't know what the interchange rules are... What radio's out of what years/models will fit and connect right up? Are there any that have an additional AUX input for easy DIY iPod integration? What about a sub out? It'd be nice if there were some sort of interchange guide on the web for these!!! Anyone know of a site?!?

Thanks in advance!!
Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure about any stock decks that have aux inputs (1/8") so you can plug in an ipod, but i would suggest getting a new aftermarket deck. you can get an alpine deck that plays CD's in audio and MP3 format meaning that you can burn a CD-R with hundreds of tunes organized in folders too if you like and have them play in your deck. these decks also come equiped with 1/8" aux inputs for ipods and they also have USB ports, so you can also play MP3's from your thumb drives as well. they also have sub outs, extra channels and all that good stuff. not to mention the overall sound quality and power output would be on a whole other level. the best part is you can get a deck like this brand new at best buy much cheaper than you could trying to find a stock deck that cant even play an MP3 disc. i left a link below to one of the decks im talking about for 200 bucks. good luck!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+...Deck/1934087.p?id=1218331214273&skuId=1934087

Thanks for the input but I really am only interested in using a factory radio, no aftermarkets. I understand that not a lot of units will plug right in but maybe one that will fit, be the right lighted color and maybe need a little wiring work would fine. Thanks.

i dont think there are any factory decks for your year mounty that have aux inputs, ive seen the newer explorers (04 and up) that have front inputs but they wouldnt match your year rig. i have a factory deck from an 03 explorer that should be an exact match to the one you are trying to replace. it works perfect and i still have the harness for it so you should just be able to plug it in. id be happy to sell it to you for a reasonable price and ship it out to you if you are interested. just PM me, if not no worries and good luck finding what you are looking for!

There were changes made to the factory HU's over the years. I don't think the one from a '03 Sportrac will work in a '97.

At some point Ford eliminated the remote amp that is behind the rear corgo panel and intergrated it with the HU.

There were also several stereo packages available. If you have the premium system a non premium HU will not work & vice versa.

Given the fact that you are having problems with one of the channels I'd be willing to bet the amp is bad and not the HU.

You would be way better off just going with an aftermarket HU. You will need to bypas the factory amp.

If you're trying to match color, you don't have any real options, as that color was only in the 1995-1997 trucks.

If you're trying to match color, you don't have any real options, as that color was only in the 1995-1997 trucks.

Are you putting a new secrete ingredient in your Chocodirts? :D

heres a pic of the one i could sell you.

CIMG0467.jpg

if you dont have the ext amp, this would work for you. and i agree dan, maybe you might want to test your amp or speaker before you switch the deck.

Are you putting a new secrete ingredient in your Chocodirts? :D

No?

Thanks for the input but I really am only interested in using a factory radio... ...be the right lighted color and maybe need a little wiring work would fine. Thanks.

The ice blue lights/display were only '95-'97, then they turned green.

No?

The ice blue lights/display were only '95-'97, then they turned green.

I didn't see color mentioned so I thought maybe you got confused :D

My 1997 Mountainner had green illumination. so your 95-97 ice blue therory is out the window :p: It was an early build '97 to boot.

You know, some '97's did have them for some reason, most likely cleaning out the parts bin. I think I default from my buying on eBay days, not knowing for sure, I exclude the entire year. My '97 (Shamrock) had ice blue.

Did your '97 have the mirror or smoke tint?

Smoke. It also had the GT40P heads.

Back