98 Mountaineer Crankshaft Position Sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Mountaineer Crankshaft Position Sensor

jgonzalez0010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer 4.0
Hello all, this is my first post on this site. I've gotten a lot of great info from everyone on here so first off I wanna thank you all for the help you've already given me.

I'm trying to replace a Crankshaft Position Sensor on a 98 Mountaineer 4.0. It's having a hard time starting. Every time I crank the engine it won't start until I let go of key and put into run position then crank a second time. Starts every time.

The issue I'm having is trying to unplug the wire from the old sensor. Dumb problem right. I have tried to remove sensor first however the wire plug is blocking the bolt so it will not allow the sensor to be removed until the wire is removed first.

As you can see in the pics, the wire connector has some sort of metal clip around it. Never seen this before so I'm unsure of how to disconnect and I don't want to force it off.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any info!!
Joe

imag0254.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That wire retainer will pull straight up and off--the unseen ends are not connected and will make a spring tension to snap back into place. Beware it may shoot off and end up on the other side of the garage-

Thanks Jon, worked out perfectly. Was able to get it changed out. However I'm still having the same issue :mad:

Almost ever time I go to start, the engine cranks but doesn't start. If i release key into the run position and wait a sec, then crank it again it starts right up.

I'm starting to lean towards the starter but it cranks fine, engine is definitely turning over no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks Jon, worked out perfectly. Was able to get it changed out. However I'm still having the same issue :mad:

Almost ever time I go to start, the engine cranks but doesn't start. If i release key into the run position and wait a sec, then crank it again it starts right up.

I'm starting to lean towards the starter but it cranks fine, engine is definitely turning over no problem. Any ideas?

If it cranks normal then its not the starter. The only way it could be a starter problem would be if it cranked slowly, or not at all.

OK I am thinking the fuel pressure needs checked.

Next time you try to start it, turn the key to "run" and back off, then try turning key all the way to start. I want to see if just another fuel pump priming cycle gets it started.

edit
when it is running does the check engine light illuminate?
Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the key on and go out when engine is started?

Engine starting issue...won't start on first crank..but starts on 2nd crank

If it cranks normal then its not the starter. The only way it could be a starter problem would be if it cranked slowly, or not at all.

That's exactly what I thought. It cranks no problem, battery is good.

Next time you try to start it, turn the key to "run" and back off, then try turning key all the way to start. I want to see if just another fuel pump priming cycle gets it started.

Ok tried that. and it started right up. However I have noticed that when it fails to start the first time and I put key into "run" then after a few seconds I turn key to "start" again it starts right up. I'll turn it off and retry and it always seems to start right up. Then again if the trunk has been sitting for more than 20 mins it starts all over again. Won't start on the first crank, release key to "run" then back to "start" and it starts right up.

edit
when it is running does the check engine light illuminate?
Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the key on and go out when engine is started?

Engine light does not illuminate when engine is running.

The light does come on when key is in "run" and goes out immediately when engine is running.

One other thing, may or may not be related. I cannot figure out where this engine noise is coming from. It sounds like it coming from the belt area front bottom of engine. It been making this noise for a few weeks now.

It almost sounds like a train going down railroad tracks. Gets faster as engine revs higher. Hopefully you can get a feel for what it sounds like in my video. I was gonna have this issue brought to a few shops to see what their mechanics have to say about it.

Again thanks a lot guys!!
Joe

Back