• Register Today It's free!

Rearended

R1dd1cK

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport V8 4406 4X4
Well last night my wife got rear ended in the explorer. She was stopped at a light waiting to turn and some one on a cell phone not paying attention rear ended her. So far I was told by the cops that the person that hit her did not have good insurance. The frame is bent some. The leaf springs got bent too. So now I need to get a new rear bumper, leaf springs, receiver hitch and get the frame straitened. I think I'm going to put the 4 door leaf springs on it and add some lowering blocks.

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well important thing she didn't get hurt. Good luck with fixing the Ex!

Yea she's fine. She was all worried that I would be mad about the EX! I told her that it can be replaced and that she can't.

Yea she's fine. She was all worried that I would be mad about the EX! I told her that it can be replaced and that she can't.
So true!

I do have a question. If the insurance pays out and I am able to get the ex fixed. I want to put the 4 door leaf springs on my ex. Now I have heard that putting the 4 door leafs with lift my ex. How ever it is already lowered 2 inches. How much would I have to lower the ex after putting on the 4 door leaf springs to keep the same ride height that I have with the mono leaf?

I do not know about that one. Springs and lowering and stuff aren't really my forte. All I can suggest is searching around using the search bar or if nothing really answers your question, I would try posting a question in this section or possibly the lowering section if its a more mod-oriented question.

If you already have the lowering blocks-youy may not notice a difference. The sport set up has plates to make up for the missing leaf(s). It may sit a half inch or so higher.

I would not reuse the u bolts and nuts --however you may use them to pre fit everything. If you decide it is too high just get a set of blocks the next size larger, with new bolts. If you like the height, just get new bolts and nuts. Autozone sells the kits with and without blocks.

Cool how ever I do not have lowering blocks. I just moved the plates to the other side of the spring so I will have to buy some blocks no matter what.

So yesterday the insurance adjuster came by and they wanted to total the ex. My guess is that they think it would be cheaper to total it then fix it.

Tell them to bite you.

Since springs "age" and loose some of their strength, it is impossible to accurately guage where your ride height will end up. It is often a try and see effort.

Some insurance companies and policies allow you the right to have it repaired. You might want to find out if you have this option.

Tell them to bite you.

:thumbsup:
But seriously, see if you can get it fixed. I know it's tough out there, but its sad to see the work you did go to waste from a rear ender. Good Luck!

Well the insurance is finally coming though. They are paying for a rental. They also are paying to have it towed where ever I want it to get a quote for repairs. Then of course they are paying to have it fixed.

just curious, how much did they offer you to total it?

I'd be a lot more worried about getting that frame straightened than lowering the truck. There is quite probably more damage that you havn't seen. I would think there should be some body damage as well. My 96 has the rear bumper bracket bent on the left side, and there is no visible frame damage. And it drives straight. Let the frame shop do their job, you may want to let the insurance company total it.

You have a great insurance company then, because most would discard the vehicle with a bent frame, a bent leaf spring is an easy fix, but the frame (if done by a pro) can be pretty expensive. I've seen insurance companies total a car and SUV out because it was T-boned, nothing more than two new doors would prolly fix some of the totalled cars and trucks.

Good luck on the repairs.

Before you opt to have it fixed, checked the gaps at the doors and compare it to another explorer. With the damage I see in the frame I suspect it went further down to the fitment of the doors possibly

just curious, how much did they offer you to total it?

Not sure cus when he said they wanted to total it I was like no.

I'd be a lot more worried about getting that frame straightened than lowering the truck.

It's already lowered. I just want to upgrade to the 4 door springs if mine are bent. Since it is already lowered I want to keep the ride height with the 4 door springs.

Man that sucks, hopefully you can get it back on the road soon. How smashed up was the other car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It don't take much to total a 2nd Gen. My Mountaineer was stolen last year and later recovered with a dented fender, quarter panel dent, scratched body side mouldings, lost PATS Key and they totaled it. I bought it back from the Insurance Company and have got it about 85%. Best of Luck to you.

Back